Koni Special Active Shocks (FSD) + Eibach Pro Springs - The Suspension That Should Have Been OEM

Dubjam

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Solutions
Reaction score
A well know and experienced phenomenon, the 8V S-Line suspension - harsh, stiff, wallowy, crashy, bouncy, , great in a straight line on a smooth road, but going round a corner at speed? Hold on tight and jam your leg against the knee rest to keep you in your seat and get ready to replace the fillings in your teeth if you hit a big pothole.

I wasn't impressed. On 18's, it was acceptable, but stiff and harsh on aggressive small potholes, and you needed to run higher tyre pressures to make it feel like you had control and agility instead of Cadillac-esque wobble. I moved to 19's (on Avons ZR7's - one of the most comfortable tyres available) and it was unbearable.

I had a play around, first installed the Eibach Pro springs, which resulted in a softer ride, and a big reduction in wallowing in corners. These would be a 'must have' in my opinion for any S-line owner. No increase in harshness, and to be honest, I felt it was actually slightly softer - Eibach claim their spring weighting is a little less than the S-Line one, hence this experience. On 18's or less, I imagine this would be a really good cost effective setup.

Still , It was too uncomfortable on 19's for me. Running 19's is a challenge without Magride (unless you are young and spritely! or ignorant lol), but I was determined to see if it was possible as the Saloon really needs 19's, it looks a little under-wheeled on 18's.

After much research, Koni Special Actives seem to fit the bill for a better ride, and yes its real! Having been out in a similar A3 (differences - Sportback on Pirelli's) with Bilstein B12 kit (B8 shocks and Eibach Pro), I found it too stiff on 18's, so chancing it on 19's would be pointless. Great body and car control and the Bilsteins are built like tanks, but in my opinion, just not forgiving enough for bad roads in the UK. If you want the ultimate in prowess and edge of your seat performance without concern in everyday comfort, the Bilsteins will probably be better for you.

The Koni's are plush. It's the best word to describe them. They give a comfortable rebound, and they absorb the big stuff without drama. Cornering is now flat, but at the same time with suspension if you hit a bump, and it's a 'comfortable' flat cornering, rather than that 'solid' feeling you get on Bilsteins B8's or coilovers.

Essentially, it feels more 'expensive' and 'controlled'. You can feel their twin valve system 'lock up' as you turn into a corner, then out of the corner, it reverts back to plushness. The 'drive' take up is so much better, you feel as if the power is being direct now instead of being absorbed into the suspension.

There is still some bounce if you hit a big dip, but no where near as bad as the originals. I no longer wince as I see a big hole in the road coming! On 19's, you can still feel the bad bits in the roads, I don't think this is avoidable (a VW Tiguan R Line I almost bought did exactly the same on its 19's) but with the Koni's you can feel them being 'absorbed' as opposed to spine shattering as you do with the standard S-line setup. I think most of the harshness left is pretty much because of the 19" wheel size and reduced amount of rubber.

I can only imagine on 18's or less, this setup would be high end Mercedes/Lexus level comfort and BMW level drivability. I may still revert back to 18's if I still find 19's a bit too much, but with the Koni's, it now feels like there is much less compromise opting for the bigger wheel.

If we say, on 19's, we have a meter 0 - 50-100, the S-line setup is 0, the Magride setup is 100, the Koni/Eibach setup is 50.

Without a doubt, this is the best setup for those wanting comfort as well as performance. It's what the original S-Line suspension should and could have been.

The Koni's are OEM replacement dampers and designed specifically to work with OEM springs, so effectively using the Eibachs you lose '10mm' of travel in the piston (as you would with the original Audi shocks). Koni feel this is within their tolerance level, but using an OEM spring will increase comfort more. The advantage with the Bilstein B8/B12 is that the use shortened piston rods to accommodate for the shorter spring, but the gassing level for me in those, was too much for the cratered roads of South London.

This is obviously all subjective, and many people will find they are happy with their setups, this isn't intent on being an argument, more something of interest for those that are not happy with their suspension and want to find an alternative to enable more comfort and more performance. The Koni's do both. The price is not far off Audi prices for replacement OEM struts, with that in mind, if you are needing new struts, its a complete no brainer.

All of the Koni/Eibach/Bilsteins parts mentioned are available from the Site Sponsors @DPM

S

S2

S3

S4

S5

Last edited:
Reactions: dantdi, springer, pburv and 4 others
Nice write up and the car looks stunning with the drop (right colour as well!). Just right IMO for a comfortable street set up. Booking in for a set of these soon myself!

Cheers dude, does your RS3 not have Magride? Man I feel your pain on your new 19's then :)

The great thing is, it looks spot on, but there is still tonnes of suspension and never bottoms out or rubs. I think your Michelins are also a little bit better on comfort over my Avons, they are effectively the top 'two' tyres for comfort, so should help out also.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
I do have magride, though I rarely use dynamic mode to be honest. It is properly rough on the terrible roads round here, but comfort is a very nice ride which I'd like to preserve. I'm just after a bit of a drop for aesthetics more than performance and Eibach pro's are springs I've had on other cars and loved the ride. Sounds like your setup made a world of difference to your ride. Certainly looks beautiful! :)

Oh you're just talking about the springs then, I was confused thinking you were going to try and install the Koni's which would essentially remove your Magride!

Eibach springs are better than the originals, definitely, so will definitely aid your comfort :)

Very nice, i am looking to go to 19’s on my 8v saloon next year. Wheels should arrive next week but not gonna fit them till after the winter.

what engine is yours

Very nice, i am looking to go to 19’s on my 8v saloon next year. Wheels should arrive next week but not gonna fit them till after the winter.

what engine is yours

Thanks, it's a 2.0 TDI Quattro 184..

I wouldn't go 19's on standard shocks unless you're partial to a little S&M :)

Reactions: Terrell Blalock
how much did it cost you for the shocks on there own?

I got very lucky and got them cheap as an Amazon special as they were 'getting rid', so what I paid is somewhat irrelevant.

The best price I obtained was from @DPM

£137.70 inc. VAT - Fronts
£86.70 inc. VAT - Rears

Part numbers are

8745-1325 FRONT
8245-1327 REAR

Reactions: Adam14
I got very lucky and got them cheap as an Amazon special as they were 'getting rid', so what I paid is somewhat irrelevant.

The best price I obtained was from @DPM

£137.70 inc. VAT - Fronts
£86.70 inc. VAT - Rears

Part numbers are

8745-1325 FRONT
8245-1327 REAR

Is that price for the pair or for a single shock?

Thanks, it's a 2.0 TDI Quattro 184..

I wouldn't go 19's on standard shocks unless you're partial to a little S&M :)
1. I’d like to say thank you for the review on KONI; I’ve been considering swapping my suspension for all of the reason you listed. I was considering Bilstein but after this I’m going to give KONIs a go with oem springs.
2ndly, I live in the states and I’m very jealous of your TDI Quattro. Idk why AUDIUSA doesn’t import the better of the models but it’s a gorgeous car mate.

Reactions: Dubjam
1. I’d like to say thank you for the review on KONI; I’ve been considering swapping my suspension for all of the reason you listed. I was considering Bilstein but after this I’m going to give KONIs a go with oem springs.
2ndly, I live in the states and I’m very jealous of your TDI Quattro. Idk why AUDIUSA doesn’t import the better of the models but it’s a gorgeous car mate.

The Koni's will be even nicer with OEM springs as that gives the small bump gate an extra 10mm travel :)

Nice write up .

I always wondered why my VAG with Eibach Pro & Bilstein B4 had less ride quality than the 80K Stuttgart AMG Sport suspension .

Now if I went with Eibach Pro the spring diameter is a thinner guage .

It's because the OEM Stuttgart dampers is Bilstein B4 DampMatic® with a similar special piston / valve system .

Screenshot 20210617 103703 Chrome

Bilstein 2 suspension feb perf

Sadly this is only available on a limited number of vehicles , still this where Koni Active come in..

@Dubjam hi, year later, still feel the same about this setup?

The suspension is spot on, best suspension I've ever had to be honest, however I have gone back to 18's, 19's are just too rough for me.

What do you think 18's would be like on Magride with Eibach Pro kit springs?
On test drive I found this very comfy with magride on comfort compared to my 3dr s3 which didn't have magride and I have no idea what springs it had, don't think it was oem, looked lower and went round corners like a gokart, but that's not what I've bought this car for now I've grown up a little more.

But the tyre noise was insane (Pirelli's) so I will want to remedy that ASAP but I don't know if that's due to the 19's vs 18's or the Pirelli tyres. The other s3 had bridgestone potenza's which were great for 6 months of ownership then started castling and making a drone noise that was eventually louder than the valve-less exhaust... I planned to fit PS4's but sold it before I had the chance.

The suspension is spot on, best suspension I've ever had to be honest, however I have gone back to 18's, 19's are just too rough for me.
Interesting thread!

Reading as looking to install the Koni' special actives on my A3 Sportback 2016 1.4TFSI. I have the sport trim with it's lower/firmer than SE suspension (but not quite S line levels!) and i'm finding it too harsh on poor UK roads.

Wondering if from your experience you had any hypothesis regarding what installing the kit will do for ride quality on a car such as mine with 17in wheels and lowered stock sport suspension?

Any info much appreciated :)

Interesting thread!

Reading as looking to install the Koni' special actives on my A3 Sportback 2016 1.4TFSI. I have the sport trim with it's lower/firmer than SE suspension (but not quite S line levels!) and i'm finding it too harsh on poor UK roads.

Wondering if from your experience you had any hypothesis regarding what installing the kit will do for ride quality on a car such as mine with 17in wheels and lowered stock sport suspension?

Being honest, if you're finding 17's on the sport suspension too harsh, and your current suspension is in good working order, then you may want to look at another car, and possibly another brand or dropping down a wheel size.

I'm very susceptible to firm and bad suspension, and I found little issues with the SA's and Eibachs on 18's other than small bump harshness (pot holes etc) to be be slightly more noticeable. This is because the Eibachs being 10mm lower, lose 10mm of the Koni's small bump compliance gate, so without the Eibachs and on the longer Sport springs, it would probably be really nice...and you won't get that poor wallowly crashy cornering thing that the S-Line suspension had ( I dont know if this was a characteristic of the Sport suspension too as never driven one)

Being honest, if you're finding 17's on the sport suspension too harsh, and your current suspension is in good working order, then you may want to look at another car, and possibly another brand or dropping down a wheel size.

I'm very susceptible to firm and bad suspension, and I found little issues with the SA's and Eibachs on 18's other than small bump harshness (pot holes etc) to be be slightly more noticeable. This is because the Eibachs being 10mm lower, lose 10mm of the Koni's small bump compliance gate, so without the Eibachs and on the longer Sport springs, it would probably be really nice...and you won't get that poor wallowly crashy cornering thing that the S-Line suspension had ( I dont know if this was a characteristic of the Sport suspension too as never driven one)
Yes this is exactly what i'm considering, but if i can get it how i want by spending a bit on parts rather than an entirely new car this would be my preference...

So technically on the stock sport suspension i would get a bit more travel on the Koni SAs than on the lower springs so it should improve their effectiveness i guess, since Koni advocate using them with stock springs

Decisions to be made anyway, thanks for the info mate much appreciated

Yes this is exactly what i'm considering, but if i can get it how i want by spending a bit on parts rather than an entirely new car this would be my preference...

So technically on the stock sport suspension i would get a bit more travel on the Koni SAs than on the lower springs so it should improve their effectiveness i guess, since Koni advocate using them with stock springs

Decisions to be made anyway, thanks for the info mate much appreciated

On stock springs, yes, you'll get the full shock absorber travel, which is what Koni recommend they are used with.

I am waiting/asking/pleading for Koni to release the same suspension for my new car, as I'll be be fitting it straight away when they do.

Interesting thread!

In the exact same situation as yourself except mine is a 3 door with the 1.2 TFSI engine so torsion beam rear suspension. 2016 pre facelift. I don't mind the firmness of the ride but it lacks any sort of sophistication when it comes to smoothing out bad roads.

Settled on the Special Actives and ordered the parts which should be here tomorrow and fitted next Wednesday all being well. Keeping the stock springs and replacing the front strut mounts and bump stops.

Once everything is fitted I'll let you know my thoughts.

Reactions: Damo S and Dubjam
On stock springs, yes, you'll get the full shock absorber travel, which is what Koni recommend they are used with.

I am waiting/asking/pleading for Koni to release the same suspension for my new car, as I'll be be fitting it straight away when they do.
Nice, what's the new car?

In the exact same situation as yourself except mine is a 3 door with the 1.2 TFSI engine so torsion beam rear suspension. 2016 pre facelift. I don't mind the firmness of the ride but it lacks any sort of sophistication when it comes to smoothing out bad roads.

Settled on the Special Actives and ordered the parts which should be here tomorrow and fitted next Wednesday all being well. Keeping the stock springs and replacing the front strut mounts and bump stops.

Once everything is fitted I'll let you know my thoughts.
Keen to hear yes! I am in process of sorting parts now also hoping to have it all done by the end of the month

Picked up the car yesterday evening and the difference in ride quality is negligible. There is an improvement, bumps are smoother for sure but if you didn't know the work had been done and you jumped into the car you wouldn't notice the difference. The shocks do need time to settle so this may improve after 1000 miles and I will report back once I have covered the distance. In no way have the shocks made the car worse, handling is about the same but this was never an problem before and I don't drive the car in a way that the handling was ever an issue.

Like I said there is a minor improvement but for the outlay of cash I am not so sure it is worth the investment if your original suspension is working fine. These are my initial impressions and my thoughts may change over time.

The install went well with the exception of the rear bump stops. The piston diameter of my original shocks is 11mm, the Koni are 16mm so the OE spec bump stops did not fit, the mechanic had to bore them out with a drill. The supplier, when questioned had no idea this was going to be an issue and may just be specific to my vehicle being the entry level 1.2 engine.

I replaced:

Front and rear strut mounts (rears may not be necessary but did them anyway)
Front and rear bump stops and dust covers
Shocks

Kept the original springs.

No difference in perceived increase in ride height
No issues with any noise. In fact it cured a creak from the rear I had since the car was nearly new.

I am not too disappointed with the outcome as I knew the risks when going into this. I think Dubjam is right about looking for another vehicle if you are not happy with the factory set up. You could spend thousands trying to get the car to ride how you want and there would always be something that isn't quite right. I have driven a few Sportbacks when my car was new as I was having it serviced at the main dealer, the best set up by far in my opinion was a 2018 Sport 5dr 'Sportback' 1.5TFSI with the dynamic suspension and multi-link rear set up.

Also our roads are just trashed. This is a fact that we cannot change.

Last edited:
Picked up the car yesterday evening and the difference in ride quality is negligible. There is an improvement, bumps are smoother for sure but if you didn't know the work had been done and you jumped into the car you wouldn't notice the difference. The shocks do need time to settle so this may improve after 1000 miles and I will report back once I have covered the distance. In no way have the shocks made the car worse, handling is about the same but this was never an problem before and I don't drive the car in a way that the handling was ever an issue.

Like I said there is a minor improvement but for the outlay of cash I am not so sure it is worth the investment if your original suspension is working fine. These are my initial impressions and my thoughts may change over time.

The install went well with the exception of the rear bump stops. The piston diameter of my original shocks is 11mm, the Koni are 16mm so the OE spec bump stops did not fit, the mechanic had to bore them out with a drill. The supplier, when questioned had no idea this was going to be an issue and may just be specific to my vehicle being the entry level 1.2 engine.

I replaced:

Front and rear strut mounts (rears may not be necessary but did them anyway)
Front and rear bump stops and dust covers
Shocks

Kept the original springs.

No difference in perceived increase in ride height
No issues with any noise. In fact it cured a creak from the rear I had since the car was nearly new.

I am not too disappointed with the outcome as I knew the risks when going into this. I think Dubjam is right about looking for another vehicle if you are not happy with the factory set up. You could spend thousands trying to get the car to ride how you want and there would always be something that isn't quite right. I have driven a few Sportbacks when my car was new and I was having it serviced at the main dealer, the best set up by far in my opinion was a 2018 Sportback 1.5TFSI with the dynamic suspension and multi-link rear set up.

Also our roads are just trashed. This is a fact that we cannot change.

Running in period is paramount but I do feel something else could be going on here.

Something to maybe consider is that Koni offer multiple versions of the shock with different internal piston diameters for the A3. It was a right pain getting the right one , I remember having so many part numbers and having to go to the Audi dealership to tell me piston diameters as the part number Koni used was incorrect for my car.

The OEM bump stops worked perfectly fine on mine, so I hazard a guess you may have installed the shocks for the heavier TDI A3 or potentially a Quattro model.

I cannot fathom how you could not notice a distinct different tbh, so I am leaning towards this being the issue.

Running in period is paramount but I do feel something else could be going on here.

Something to maybe consider is that Koni offer multiple versions of the shock with different internal piston diameters for the A3. It was a right pain getting the right one , I remember having so many part numbers and having to go to the Audi dealership to tell me piston diameters as the part number Koni used was incorrect for my car.

The OEM bump stops worked perfectly fine on mine, so I hazard a guess you may have installed the shocks for the heavier TDI A3 or potentially a Quattro model.

I cannot fathom how you could not notice a distinct different tbh, so I am leaning towards this being the issue.
The shocks were part of a kit, 50mm front strut diameter with torsion beam rear suspension. Included all 4 shocks, the reseller only offered this config for the 8V A3. You can get kits with 55mm front strut diameter with torsion beam rear, I am guessing this is for the Skoda/SEAT vehicles as they still fit a torsion beam on vehicles with 150ps or less power.

Only the 1.6 TDI has a torsion beam. I also checked bump stops for this model and the exact bump stop I ordered also fits this set up.

I did drive an Sline Sportback with multi link rear and it did have the Sline suspension (it wasn’t ticked down to Dynamic). The ride was firm but it still rode better than my car did. Just dealt with road surfaces better, you could feel the wheels reacting to the road imperfections instead of just skipping over them like my car does. It’s probably down to the torsion beam, these things just suck. Especially when the ride is already firm to begin with.

I will double check the rear struts which were included in the kit with KONI and find out for sure if I have the right part as you mentioned.

The shocks were part of a kit, 50mm front strut diameter with torsion beam rear suspension. Included all 4 shocks, the reseller only offered this config for the 8V A3. You can get kits with 55mm front strut diameter with torsion beam rear, I am guessing this is for the Skoda/SEAT vehicles as they still fit a torsion beam on vehicles with 150ps or less power.

Only the 1.6 TDI has a torsion beam. I also checked bump stops for this model and the exact bump stop I ordered also fits this set up.

I did drive an Sline Sportback with multi link rear and it did have the Sline suspension (it wasn’t ticked down to Dynamic). The ride was firm but it still rode better than my car did. Just dealt with road surfaces better, you could feel the wheels reacting to the road imperfections instead of just skipping over them like my car does. It’s probably down to the torsion beam, these things just suck. Especially when the ride is already firm to begin with.

I will double check the rear struts which were included in the kit with KONI and find out for sure if I have the right part as you mentioned.

Ah I see, yes mine was the 55mm kit with multi link rear, but it was the saloon.

When you say 'ticked down to Dynamic' this would indicate that that vehicle had Magneride? which is ideal for sure, Special Actives can't compete with that system.

Maybe the torsion beam dosen't adopt the benefits from the SA's as much as it did for me.

Ah I see, yes mine was the 55mm kit with multi link rear, but it was the saloon.

When you say 'ticked down to Dynamic' this would indicate that that vehicle had Magneride? which is ideal for sure, Special Actives can't compete with that system.

Maybe the torsion beam dosen't adopt the benefits from the SA's as much as it did for me.
I meant it had the proper Sline suspension as opposed to the factory option of choosing a step down to the SE Dynamic (stock comfort set up, rides higher).

Will have to see how these settle in before coming to a conclusion. Unfortunately it’s one of those things were our findings are subjective and results will differ depending on application.

I meant it had the proper Sline suspension as opposed to the factory option of choosing a step down to the SE Dynamic (stock comfort set up, rides higher).

Will have to see how these settle in before coming to a conclusion. Unfortunately it’s one of those things were our findings are subjective and results will differ depending on application.

Ok got you, yeah, the joys of modifying cars.

My car only had 25k on it at the time, so the S-Line suspension was all good. The only difference here is that I installed the Eibach Pro springs instead of the originals, but according to Koni that would have made it less comfortable due to losing 10mm of the comfort gate in the strut. I would have expected with the original springs, it would have been even nicer.

So maybe that Torsion beam set up is your achilles heal.

Sadly, and very sadly, I don't have the car anymore (and wish I did)..that was one bit of Dubjam stupidity I had by deciding to try something new and regretting it since!

One of these, Mazda CX60 Homura...it was meant to be an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Veloce, but well, everyone has an Alfa story, and I do too now (it spent two days with me and four weeks at the dealership being repaired :) )

The Mazda is stunning, but the suspension makes Audi suspension seem almost graceful, cant wait for Koni to bring out Special Actives for it

A Q5 was too much of a grandad car for me, the design is too old now and looks it on the road

CX60 roof black

Well its a nice bit of kit for sure. If you do end up getting some Special Actives for it please let us know your thoughts. I am sure others will be lurking on here looking at various forums for feedback from users of these shocks.

Well its a nice bit of kit for sure. If you do end up getting some Special Actives for it please let us know your thoughts. I am sure others will be lurking on here looking at various forums for feedback from users of these shocks.

As soon as Koni make them they will be going on :) But will probably review them on a Mazda forum tbf

Give your suspension a while longer, everything is rock hard and new right now even down to the top mounts, it'll all soften up when it gets into its functioning zone

Reactions: Dcode
As soon as Koni make them they will be going on :) But will probably review them on a Mazda forum tbf

Give your suspension a while longer, everything is rock hard and new right now even down to the top mounts, it'll all soften up when it gets into its functioning zone
Yes will do . Not coming away from it with a negative experience. At the very least it’s got new suspension components.

Update: Had the shocks on the car just over a month and covered nearly 900 miles now. They definitely required time to settle in. I was sceptical at first however ride has definitely improved and I am enjoying driving the car. The stock Sachs would bottom out, especially at the rear over seemingly nothing obvious in the road. I always avoid potholes and bad surfaces however driving with them just got on my nerves. Don't get me wrong the Koni do not work miracles and I did think I could tackle some really bad roads where I live. The Koni has taken the edge off but I'll just avoid these roads and take the longer route until the council fix them up as its not good for the car. Overall the majority of bumps are shrugged off with a satisfying rubbery 'thunk' as opposed to sending a shock wave through the chassis like the stock. My driving satisfaction has increased since the upgrade and I would buy these shocks again. Just give them time to break in.

When you asked for the internal piston diameter what size did you get?

Reason I ask is I noticed one of the rear bump stops had split, probably due to them being drilled out.

The OEM for my car have an internal diameter of 11mm, the Special Active piston diameter is 16mm.

When you asked for the internal piston diameter what size did you get?

Reason I ask is I noticed one of the rear bump stops had split, probably due to them being drilled out.

The OEM for my car have an internal diameter of 11mm, the Special Active piston diameter is 16mm.

No idea I am afraid, the car went about six months ago along with all the paperwork inc the receipts and research for the SA's