Koni or Eibach suspension (shocks & springs)

jrleech

Reaction score
I'm feeling the need (well I lasted about a week) to change the suspension on my '97 A4 2.8 Quattro.

It corners very well, but just can't cope with rapid changes in direction well (takes time to heave the body back over!).

The car has the Audio S-Line kit with sports suspension already, so I'm guessing the ride height drop will be quite a bit less than quoted with the kits.

Good options appear to be:

- Koni SSK85
- Eibach Pro-kit and Pro-damper

Also looking at the Eibach anti-roll bar kit..

Has anyone fitted either of the two shock/spring kits? Which is best?

I'm not really looking to lower the car, as that upsets the insurance company, just need it stiffer!!

Thanks,
Jon

considered a eibach/bilstein setup?

[ QUOTE ]
considered a eibach/bilstein setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Jon

My previous experience with Bilsteins on MR2 Turbo's is that they are very hard. Searching the internet I've found posts saying that they're very hard on the A4 and that people prefer the Koni's.

Has anyone here got any experience of Bilstein's on A4's?

Searching through part numbers, it appears that Eibach seem to put the most effort into springs (they have a greater number of varients covering the A4 range).

Thanks,
Jon

The Pro kit will barley lower your car from sport spec. The ARBs will help a lot as will new shocks, Billy's and Eibachs are considered a good A4 setup in the US etc

The only problem with mixing is that it costs a fair bit more as the kits generally cost the same as the shocks on their own.

Might try the full Bilstein kit and see how it rides with their own springs... .if I don't like them I can always swap later.

I've never heard from anyone who's fitted Eibach shocks. They're well documented for excellent springs, but no one seems to have used their shocks.

Cheers,
Jon

The Eiback shocks seem ok for some of the Peugeot guys. My mate runs a Pug 206 and apparently they swear by them

I'm swayed slightly by the statement that the Eibach shocks were deisgned around the Eibach springs, where as the Bilsteins will have been designed around a different spring.

I might go Eibach all round.... just to be different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just been to my local independent Audi garage and had a look over my car.. All seems pretty good, I've got a rear drop link that's suspect and it needs new brake disks/pads but other than that it's OK.

Had a chat to him about changing the suspension and his opinion was that while it would make a difference, it's really not worth spending money on decent shocks and springs when you're fitting them to old worn suspension arms/bushes.... made sense really.

I've seen a full front arm kit/set for sensible money, and have been advised that the rears are usually much better than the fronts, and that a set of rear bushes is probably enough.

Any comments???

Thanks,
Jon

My opinion - If considering the ARB route don't fit anything that strengthens the front - this will give you more understeer and does little to improve handing. I fitted a Whiteline racing rear ARB to my Quattro Sport with Eiback springs and standard dampers, understeer is almost completely eliminated and the car handles beatifully without being too stiff.

As always there will be a compromise with handling vs ride but in for me the above set up works well in the real world.

Hope this helps,

Greg