Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

That exhausts sounds a lot better then the old one but you can still hear the rattle, it hasn't disappeared completely. I'd be happy for Audi to replace mine with the one above, as long as its still the RS sports exhaust.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yep, can still hear the "knocking" for the first 20 seconds.
I wouldn't say that the new one sounds any better than mine in that respect currently.
Let's see what happens over the next week with our Forum Guinea Pigs at the dealers..... :whistle2:

Yep, can still hear the "knocking" for the first 20 seconds.
I wouldn't say that the new one sounds any better than mine in that respect currently.
Let's see what happens over the next week with our Forum Guinea Pigs at the dealers..... :whistle2:

Mine is planned to be there from the 28th to the 3rd, on the 3rd I am collecting it regardless of how far the fix has gone haha. If it needs booking back in, I will make a waiting appointment.

New exhaust on.

It doesn’t seem to rattle in comfort.

Car sat outside cooling down for the Acid test later on.....Cold Start.

d4ede6807ec5b7b4b2f20999979959b8.jpg

97cf1b21c04a3be49b1b6506f1e10c95.jpg

80b2cf4bfdbc4ed38e04d9e2bd8da253.jpg

Reactions: billymc92, neg, Macintosh88 and 2 others
New exhaust on.

Fingers crossed mate

Reactions: T-800
New exhaust on.

Pwoah, that looks the nuts :p

Looking forward to your thoughts overall.

Reactions: DW81
My RS3 is also in now for replacement of the exhaust system. Fingers crossed

Do we know yet if these are a newly designed part? Or just an identical replacement?

waiting .....

get any paperwork, part numbers etc?

Well.....

A coldish start and it seems better......

Will see what an early morning Cold start brings first before giving it a thumbs up/down

Have paperwork but no part numbers just warranty stuff on it.

Reactions: RS3-Rob, billymc92, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Paper I got from the Audi service, I think it´s the new part number.
8v5253181 CP

A new part number looks positive... be interesting to see if other have the same done...

...is there a way you can check which parts are fitted to a car? It would be good to see if factory orders are having this new parted fitted and if they are when did it start

To this date, here is all the oem exhausts for the facelift rs3, both sedan and sportback.
It is in Swedish yes, but you can see the the part numbers and the exhausts are position "1" and "(1)".

The option highlighted in black text (bold) is the exhaust that is mounted on the specific vin number I did the search on.

Exhausts 2018

Reactions: Macintosh88
Freezing cold start..........

Still there is the noise but it's not as loud at all and to me it's almost 'pulsing' now, sort of a faint rattle then it clears then back to faint rattle........like the effect you get when popping it into S then back into D.

The Flap rattle in comfort has gone though.

good news then (ish)

The part number images - showing dates 18/09/17 >> so this is from that date then ? two versions, one being SB and one Sedan?

Freezing cold start..........

Still there is the noise but it's not as loud at all and to me it's almost 'pulsing' now, sort of a faint rattle then it clears then back to faint rattle........like the effect you get when popping it into S then back into D.

The Flap rattle in comfort has gone though.

So you think it’s quieter while you’re driving it?

A new part number looks positive... be interesting to see if other have the same done...

...is there a way you can check which parts are fitted to a car? It would be good to see if factory orders are having this new parted fitted and if they are when did it start
Rumour is that RS3 orders are "bogging down" so perhaps it's due to them sorting the exhaust before it leaves the factory?

TX.

Reactions: Phil3
So you think it’s quieter while you’re driving it?

No Quieter.....

Although this morning when arriving at work i revved it while stationary and the lad that works for me insisted it sounded louder to him......

No Quieter.....

Although this morning when arriving at work i revved it while stationary and the lad that works for me insisted it sounded louder to him......

Sat in the centre waiting to hand the keys over... :O

Plus, today my tips have started to flake! Crap!

Fingers crossed for you mate, on the note of the tips all I can say is good luck getting anything from Audi on that one fella

Fingers crossed for you mate, on the note of the tips all I can say is good luck getting anything from Audi on that one fella

The service advisor was interested to hear about the tips.

He seemed confident that I don’t need to go back down to demonstrate it, I’ve found this helpful before to explain to the person actually working on it what it does. I suggested basically was that because it is a cut and dry case but he wouldn’t comment, they have to look into it but they are confident they don’t need my assistance to listen to it.

Reactions: DW81
The service advisor was interested to hear about the tips.

He seemed confident that I don’t need to go back down to demonstrate it, I’ve found this helpful before to explain to the person actually working on it what it does. I suggested basically was that because it is a cut and dry case but he wouldn’t comment, they have to look into it but they are confident they don’t need my assistance to listen to it.

Is it not something you can live with for a 10 seconds start up rattle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it not something you can live with for a 10 seconds start up rattle?

Not when you realise how bad it is and how much better it is without! Besides my tips are flaking so I need a backbox anyway. Why turn down a free improved part?

Reactions: Jonny B and DW81
Not when you realise how bad it is and how much better it is without! Besides my tips are flaking so I need a backbox anyway. Why turn down a free improved part?

Agreed . Plus You don’t want to be selling an “unrepaired“ one , a couple of years down the road . If the parts been updated then on it goes .

Agreed . Plus You don’t want to be selling an “unrepaired“ one , a couple of years down the road . If the parts been updated then on it goes .

I can see there being more backboxes for us if they are flaking, I won’t stand that!!

I can see there being more backboxes for us if they are flaking, I won’t stand that!!

No chance... as soon as it starts to flake it should be replaced no questions asked! If it happens 3,4,5... times then so be it, you should be entitled to 3,4,5... new exhausts!

Reactions: DW81, Jonny B and AudiNutta
They need to make the tips removable .. maybe they will learn

Reactions: AudiNutta and Phil3
No chance... as soon as it starts to flake it should be replaced no questions asked! If it happens 3,4,5... times then so be it, you should be entitled to 3,4,5... new exhausts!

Exactly! Audi will regret going cheap on these exhausts.

Reactions: Jonny B
Got mine back now, The service guy started the car and I stood outside to listen if it was still any rattle. It´s cured :laughing: finally!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jonny B
While mine is off the road for the brakes I asked them to sort the exhaust while it was in (off the road for a week now) - getting b/s responses so far (they all sound like that, it only lasts for 3 mins etc). ********.

Reactions: AudiNutta, DW81 and Jonny B
While mine is off the road for the brakes I asked them to sort the exhaust while it was in (off the road for a week now) - getting b/s responses so far (they all sound like that, it only lasts for 3 mins etc). ********.

What’s up with your brakes... you have a FL right ?

Collected my new car this morning,it’s got the ticking exhaust

I suppose if mine start to flake then I will get them replaced.

You FL lads have had a touch then with Audi replacing the flakey tips. Didn’t want to know on my PFL pitted chrome tips, f...... wa*k**s

I had the rattle as well they're replacing the exhaust next week. I bought the car from a used car dealer and it was advertised as having the dynamic pack but I think I might of been a victim of false advertisement, the reason being I thought if it had magnetic ride the suspension would be something that I could set up on individual mode settings.

I've cancelled my booking for this Sat for my dealer to look at the ticking exhaust for a few reasons;

1) Shxx weather (the snow) and I'd have drive the 15miles to my dealer thru muppet driver country. No thanks the RS is parked up safe.

2) My exhaust rattle is not too bad, it does go when you knock it in to sport on a cold start up. Does not appear to do it comfort and goes when warmed up.

3) I'm not yet convinced Audi have recognized this issue with rattling FL exhausts, and really think this will be a wasted journey, and loss of the car for who knows how long.

4) It's really not too bad I think at the moment, some on here by the sounds of it have it worse than me, although perhaps I'm going deaf in old age!, but fortunately there's a few of you guys with cars booked in for a check - let's see what transpires.....

5) I just can't be arxed !!

Reactions: RVP20 and AudiNutta
I had the rattle as well they're replacing the exhaust next week. I bought the car from a used car dealer and it was advertised as having the dynamic pack but I think I might of been a victim of false advertisement, the reason being I thought if it had magnetic ride the suspension would be something that I could set up on individual mode settings.

Are your exhaust tips black or silver? With dynamic pack you can change the suspension.