Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

Yeah she told me I can have a facelift version for a test but that pfl was perfect and has sold it to me on what I definitely want! It was calm on the motorway but a riot once egged on! Ive fallen in love tbh now if I go for the facelift I need to make it make those noises but don't really want to map it
When you get it unplug the exhaust valves gun it and listen to that glorious 5 pot throughout the whole Rev range:smirk:

I will be waiting for something to appear on here but I won’t pay £30 for plugs and invisible error codes really do not bother me.

My lead is tucked up into the chassis directly above the exhaust, you won’t get water in there.

You need the noise trust me!

£30 for something simple to plug in and protect the exposed pins shocking cost.....

Go get that duck tape out now

Reactions: zaka7, D0C and DW81
I started mine yesterday and put scrolled through from Dynamic back to dynamic and instantly as the valves opened the rattle sound stopped - was still in cold start mode for sure.

The ticking of the valves is a little annoying, like you mentioned moving in and out the garage and in slow moving traffic you can hear it.

You are correct Neg......

Started mine this morning and it had Dynamic selected as always, as soon as I started it the noise was there as usual, pulled back on the stick and put it into S the noise stopped, put it back into D the noise returned......

Reactions: neg
Hm, don’t count on still being able to order a Facelift in March!! Around then is when we would predict for them to come off sale.

Don’t miss the boat!
The facelift doesn’t pop and bang at all once you are moving and only pops when you blip the throttle in neutral.

If I can't then I can't there will be another rs3 at some point and there would be uproar if it wasn't the 5cyl so I will happily wait if I have to

Reactions: AudiNutta
£30 for something simple to plug in and protect the exposed pins shocking cost.....

Go get that duck tape out now

These sarcastic replies are getting really tiring. God knows what I am supposed to have done to upset you.

It’s £60 to cover both ends. I’d rather a tank of fuel thanks.

Reactions: zaka7 and FBF01
These sarcastic replies are getting really tiring. God knows what I am supposed to have done to upset you.

It’s £60 to cover both ends. I’d rather a tank of fuel thanks.

£60

I’m gonna have to go and lie down that’s shocking.

You are correct Neg......

Started mine this morning and it had Dynamic selected as always, as soon as I started it the noise was there as usual, pulled back on the stick and put it into S the noise stopped, put it back into D the noise returned......

Yes, double checked again yesterday on mine and when you scroll round to Dynamic it stops, go back to any other and it starts again - cold start still active.

Reactions: T-800
Yes, double checked again yesterday on mine and when you scroll round to Dynamic it stops, go back to any other and it starts again - cold start still active.

Yes same here after work today

Start car noise is there, shift into S noise stops.
Shift into D noise returns then the 20 secs are up it stops completely.

Am going to do an experiment tomorrow with VCDS on cold start, I’ll go into advanced measuring values and actuate the valves/flaps.

Reactions: neg
Hm, don’t count on still being able to order a Facelift in March!! Around then is when we would predict for them to come off sale.

Don’t miss the boat!
The facelift doesn’t pop and bang at all once you are moving and only pops when you blip the throttle in neutral.

Deffo not the same as the PFL, but at 1500 miles now with the temps all right when i drop from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd in manual mode at about 3.5k revs is pops like a goodun!

Reactions: AudiNutta and T-800
Even with the valves disconnected I think there is still a difference in the tone between auto and dynamic - different when revving.

I've had a few pops on 3rd to 2nd, kids loved it

Exhaust still makes a racket on cold start with valves disconnected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 to 2 in S is certainly the one...... I personally don't mind the 30 second cold start pantomime.

3 to 2 in S is certainly the one...... I personally don't mind the 30 second cold start pantomime.
Yes tends to do it in S but not so much in S Manual ...

Just going to just get it mapped :smirk:

Yes tends to do it in S but not so much in S Manual ...

Just going to just get it mapped :smirk:

Pops and cackles like a good un......

In Dynamic and upon braking seems to get better as miles rack up.

Update for you..

Audi are replacing parts of my exhaust system this week!

It is also having a rear seat-belt replaced due to recall - not sure anyone else has had this done?

Cheers.

Update for you..

It is also having a rear seat-belt replaced due to recall - not sure anyone else has had this done?

Cheers.

Interesting.
I assume this is on an FL ?

I have noticed when my engine is cold there is a tinny ticking at start up.

Not had an invite for recall yet

I'm still not convinced the noise on start up is any more than an annoyance, the first 'cold' start of the day I get the noise, and then once I start the car within a few hours when it is warmer, nothing. it is completely normal, that said at around 2500 miles now and the car sounds immense with the pops and bangs, not anywhere near as far from the PFL I drove before ordering as it was at say 50 miles on the clock!!

Interesting.
I assume this is on an FL ?

I have noticed when my engine is cold there is a tinny ticking at start up.

Not had an invite for recall yet

Yes mate, I started the post. Once I've got the car back and post a video of results. I doubt it will be 'fixed' but hey ho!

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome mate. Hopefully it’s a fix that Audi can actually do for once.

Update for you..

Cheers.

Did you get a TPI for replacing exhaust parts? My dealer agree is something wrong but they don´t wanna do anything until Audi will come with a TPI...

Did you get a TPI for replacing exhaust parts? My dealer agree is something wrong but they don´t wanna do anything until Audi will come with a TPI...

Sorry I'm not sure what TPI means but when I dropped the car in to fix something else (interior lights blinking) they rang me a day later to say a fix had been confirmed by Audi Germany for the exhaust (the car originally went in for in November)... I'll find out the details when I pick it up.

Assume it stands for technical product improvement or something along those lines

Sorry I'm not sure what TPI means but when I dropped the car in to fix something else (interior lights blinking) they rang me a day later to say a fix had been confirmed by Audi Germany for the exhaust (the car originally went in for in November)... I'll find out the details when I pick it up.

ok, like @Doc says. Technical Product Improvment or Information.
Well that´s good to know Audi have confirm they have a fix for the exhaust rattle. I will contact my dealer tomorrow

Reactions: AudiNutta
Someone in Australia has had TPI2048256/3 applied for this issue and apparently has fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Macintosh88
Let us know how you get on because I picked my FL up on Monday and noticed this on a cold start up and it sounds awful.

Picked mine up Wednesday also does it on a cold start

@1664Hatter, have they managed to fix the rattle? Talked to my dealer and they say they can replace the exhaust system but they do not know if it gonna fix the rattle, They say it's maybe manufacturing problems. So the chance is that it will be rattle again... The TPI they got it´s wait until Audi have a solution on that...

Mine rattles like a good un in comfort mode while car is warm now......

Have emailed Audi CS a video file and picture of the Odis technical report for RS3/TTRS rattling flaps.

Mine rattles like a good un in comfort mode while car is warm now......

Have emailed Audi CS a video file and picture of the Odis technical report for RS3/TTRS rattling flaps.

What's comfort mode !

Reactions: zaka7
No seriously I too have a ticking noise when cold on start up. Not noticed it yet when warm and in comfort, I'll pay more attention when next in the motor.

This issue seems to be growing.

Think I'll drop myvaudi dealer a note to complain.
The more complaints they have surely they've got to get their fingers out and look to find a fix.

No seriously I too have a ticking noise when cold on start up. Not noticed it yet when warm and in comfort, I'll pay more attention when next in the motor.

This issue seems to be growing.

Think I'll drop myvaudi dealer a note to complain.
The more complaints they have surely they've got to get their fingers out and look to find a fix.

It's nothing to do with the b o ll o x i was told in December.......

On mine the rattle on cold start stops dead when putting it in S mode

Noticed by accident a few weeks back the Rattle in comfort when backing it into the garage, flaps closed it rattles, flaps open quiet.

Just had a call, I'm going up on Thursday with it so they can put it in the Handover bay to listen, it's a lot louder in a confined space.

Reactions: teslaboy
It's nothing to do with the b o ll o x i was told in December.......

On mine the rattle on cold start stops dead when putting it in S mode

Noticed by accident a few weeks back the Rattle in comfort when backing it into the garage, flaps closed it rattles, flaps open quiet.

Just had a call, I'm going up on Thursday with it so they can put it in the Handover bay to listen, it's a lot louder in a confined space.

Jesus - you still not got this issue sorted - how long you had the car now ?

As great as the RS3 is, all the repeat visits to the Dealer really do grate after a while don't they.

Jesus - you still not got this issue sorted - how long you had the car now ?

As great as the RS3 is, all the repeat visits to the Dealer really do grate after a while don't they.

They wanted me to book it in @Snake Pliskin ......no chance i said, they've had countless recordings of the noise and one dealer visit already.

The aftersales manager dismissed the TPI as 'off the internet'......until i emailed him the screenshot of it when Odis was connected to my car......

Then things started moving and they rang me to get it in.

Reactions: teslaboy and Snake Pliskin
They wanted me to book it in @Snake Pliskin ......no chance i said, they've had countless recordings of the noise and one dealer visit already.

The aftersales manager dismissed the TPI as 'off the internet'......until i emailed him the screenshot of it when Odis was connected to my car......

Then things started moving and they rang me to get it in.

So annoying isn't when you just want a fault "fixed".
Hope you get it sorted VERY soon :yes:
My Dealer is 30 mins away so it was a drag when I had to keep making repeat visits all the time.

Just heard a demo car with the ticking noise, it is an annoying sound to say the least. Sales dude immediately said something was wrong with the left exhaust so I find it strange Audi has not recognized this fault yet..

Just heard a demo car with the ticking noise, it is an annoying sound to say the least. Sales dude immediately said something was wrong with the left exhaust so I find it strange Audi has not recognized this fault yet..

I think it's more a case of Audi not yet having a fix or not sure how they're going to pay / legal issue with the exhaust supplier and owning up to the fact there is actually a problem.

sounds like Audi need to inspect their suppliers better - $hi7 brake discs & pads and now exhausts lol :tearsofjoy:

Have you seen the story in Pistonheads today about Ford now admitting an engine issue with their 2016 2017 RS focus.... they're offering to fix all cars regardless of warranty mileage etc.

It can take a while the manfacturers to sort out ALL the issues and finally own up.
Hopefully Audi might.
Saying that the brake issues seem to have run for a few years on the PFL.
I'm hopeful the FL redesigned brakes are ok. No squealing so far.
However there is now the exhaust issue! Doh, you can't win !!

Have you seen the story in Pistonheads today about Ford now admitting an engine issue with their 2016 2017 RS focus.... they're offering to fix all cars regardless of warranty mileage etc.

It can take a while the manfacturers to sort out ALL the issues and finally own up.
Hopefully Audi might.
Saying that the brake issues seem to have run for a few years on the PFL.
I'm hopeful the FL redesigned brakes are ok. No squealing so far.
However there is now the exhaust issue! Doh, you can't win !!

Mine squeal after the car has been driven gently for a while, but it’s not a huge problem and doesn’t warrant me replacing the pads anyway! One big stamp on the brakes and it’s gone.

I think I’ve been lucky with the exhaust, mine HARDLY ever makes the noise and when it does it’s only ever so slight.

I’ve told a service guy at Audi to keep an eye on a brake fix, will also tell him now to keep an eye on an exhaust fix. I will find out what they are willing to do, if it’s going to likely quieten the car I will for sure leave it as it is but otherwise may toy with the idea of what they suggest, so it’s gone totally.

I had a really annoying creak in the back of my SSS, it got worse to the point you couldn’t move on the seat without it overpowering the radio and now it’s gone totally I believe..