Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

Mine didn’t start flaking until 4000 Miles, hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.

I wouldn’t be waiting until September!!

4000 miles! Dam it. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: AudiNutta
4000 miles! Dam it. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Yep it was literally the week before it was due to go in for a new exhaust which was 4000 miles, I added the flaking tips to the claim when they changed it.

After reading about the flaking tips on this thread, I had a look at mine last week and mine also have started on the sports exhaust and I've only covered 1700 miles, rather disappointing to say the least.

As for the exhaust rattle, Are you sure it rattles only on start up? Mine rattles on start up but also when I quickly blip the throttle even when up to temperature, its not as loud as the cold start but its still clearly apparent, it's like something is loose inside there. I think they've compensated for too much heat expansion of metal in the exhaust somewhere and in turn something is constantly loose but I could be totally wrong.

However I am still loving the car, I was first at a set of traffic lights last night going to work and I wound down just the back windows as a reminder to see how loud this thing really is and WOW! You don't realise how much noise deadening there is in the car but it sounded unreal, pedestrians were turning their heads from about half a mile away wondering what the noise was. One hell of a car even if it does have its minor flaws, I think its still early days for parts to be rectified 100% by Audi but keep enjoying these fantastic machines guys :thumbs up:

Reactions: AB RS3, drgav2005, KKOG and 2 others
Its the acoustic attenuated glass - very effective. As you say, wind 'em down and let rip!

Roll of the warm weather so we don't look like a bell end when we do it.

Reactions: Phil3, DW81 and RS3-Rob
After reading about the flaking tips on this thread, I had a look at mine last week and mine also have started on the sports exhaust and I've only covered 1700 miles, rather disappointing to say the least.

As for the exhaust rattle, Are you sure it rattles only on start up? Mine rattles on start up but also when I quickly blip the throttle even when up to temperature, its not as loud as the cold start but its still clearly apparent, it's like something is loose inside there. I think they've compensated for too much heat expansion of metal in the exhaust somewhere and in turn something is constantly loose but I could be totally wrong.

However I am still loving the car, I was first at a set of traffic lights last night going to work and I wound down just the back windows as a reminder to see how loud this thing really is and WOW! You don't realise how much noise deadening there is in the car but it sounded unreal, pedestrians were turning their heads from about half a mile away wondering what the noise was. One hell of a car even if it does have its minor flaws, I think its still early days for parts to be rectified 100% by Audi but keep enjoying these fantastic machines guys :thumbs up:

Could be the side to side play in the flaps that the video clip of the guys modifying the spindles earlier in this thread....

I've noticed the Comfort rattle on throttle blip is still there.

No big deal though as it only does upon blipping the throttle.

Good to hear an owner enjoying the car instead of every post being a moan about something bad.

Reactions: jungle650, drgav2005 and RS3-Rob
Yep it was literally the week before it was due to go in for a new exhaust which was 4000 miles, I added the flaking tips to the claim when they changed it.

F x x K it I've just noticed my tips are F ing flaking !!!!!!!
There must be an effective way to remove the back box get the paint off the outer tip and leave the underlying metal finish.

The two issues I will be complaining big time to my dealer is rusty hubs and flaking tips.
Going to be interesting to see what they have say.

I agree - its pointless fitting new parts if they go the same way in no time at all - better off the strip off the paint and then finish properly - maybe even in a finish that you can see!! I don't like how the tips effectively disappear into the gloss black trim anyway. The huge exhausts were a signature of these cars.

Reactions: Jonny B, DW81 and D0C
F x x K it I've just noticed my tips are F ing flaking !!!!!!!
There must be an effective way to remove the back box get the paint off the outer tip and leave the underlying metal finish.

The two issues I will be complaining big time to my dealer is rusty hubs and flaking tips.
Going to be interesting to see what they have say.

I’ve suggested that to my detailer and he said it is likely I would ruin the exhaust and once you’ve started, you can’t go back. That would take some serious cutting to get rid of that surface and none of it easy.

Mine has some slight flaking on the inner edge of the rolled surround, doesn't look too bad to paint it on the car, its all on the inside of the exhaust so as long as it is prepared well and the right sort of paint used it will be fine. Doesn't even need to be a spotless finish as it will get coked up anyhow.

As soon as it is warmer I will be tidying mine up and sorting the rusty hubs issue, will document what I do so others can follow if desired.

Reactions: KKOG
Mine has some slight flaking on the inner edge of the rolled surround, doesn't look too bad to paint it on the car, its all on the inside of the exhaust so as long as it is prepared well and the right sort of paint used it will be fine. Doesn't even need to be a spotless finish as it will get coked up anyhow.

As soon as it is warmer I will be tidying mine up and sorting the rusty hubs issue, will document what I do so others can follow if desired.

Mines on the outside and it looks shoddy!

I don't like how the tips effectively disappear into the gloss black trim anyway. The huge exhausts were a signature of these cars.
Absolutely agree. Much prefer chrome tips that you can see. I'd be happy to have the sports exhaust with the chrome tips.

Reactions: Evil Diesel
I need to give it a clean .....
20180405 071341 2016x1512

FALSE ALARM !!
I was looking at dirt / water marks on the outside and was seeing things.
No flaking yet but only a matter of time I believe.

I’ve thought this a couple times when looking at mine... a mixture of water marks and grit/salt off the roads have had me taking a good second look a few times

Reactions: teslaboy
I’ve sent an email to Audi and wiped the floor with them, forget pussy footing around anymore.

It’s been 3 weeks since my car went in and I said it still made the noise, my backbox now crackles and bangs sat at idle.. sounds like it’s collapsed inside. Had a good old go about everything else on the car to, no reply again.

I’m about to hit the button on a bargain PFL exhaust, just need to figure out a way of sorting the tips out on it... maybe I will get more volume and no rattles?

Anything with the 2.5 Ali engine.

Advanced cold start Catalyst warm up phase.......
However, I can confirm that cycling through to Dynamic mode before starting does indeed stop the rattling warm up!

Reactions: dno_uk, AudiNutta and T-800
However, I can confirm that cycling through to Dynamic mode before starting does indeed stop the rattling warm up!

It does indeed......

As long as Dynamic is selected before firing up then no rattle.

Reactions: D0C and L1ARR
It does indeed......

I followed your advice. Bingo. You're rapidly becoming the most useful ASN member ;)

Reactions: T-800 and DW81
Doc now you have had the TTRS for a while now was the exchange from the rs3 worth it?
That's a tough question! Ultimately yes, but I really miss the PFL's engine and drama. The TTRS is on another level handling wise though and it looks great.

I still think a £30k used PFL is the best value buy out there. Mine had the secondary decat pipes and an MRC remap and felt quite a bit quicker than the TT, too, which I miss!

Reactions: Evil Diesel, Terminator x and DW81
That's a tough question! Ultimately yes, but I really miss the PFL's engine and drama. The TTRS is on another level handling wise though and it looks great.

I still think a £30k used PFL is the best value buy out there. Mine had the secondary decat pipes and an MRC remap and felt quite a bit quicker than the TT, too, which I miss!

Great to hear mate, on the rs3 front you can always get another one if circumstances dictate DOC.

It does indeed......

But isn't it rattling for good reason, so avoiding the rattle might not be good in the long run?!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

But isn't it rattling for good reason, so avoiding the rattle might not be good in the long run?!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Advanced cold start Catalyst warm up phase.

I’ve already had this confirmed in writing by Audi exec office.

You’ve already acknowledged my posting of the said email on here so why now comment that it’s not a good thing ?

I don’t see where / what else can be done

As I’ve said before you can’t get blood out of a stone.

It’s clearly designed to meet some Emissions regs and that’s that.

I’ve had the noise confirmed by a respected engine tuner as engine being heavily retarded ignition wise for the first 20 secs.
They simply map it out.

Reactions: Evil Diesel
Dont want to read the whole thread again, I have the start up ticking which it is agreed is the norm.

I also have a ticking constantly but not as harsh and can only be heard when driving driving at low revs

By the way what a beast of a car, 800 miles now, beem kind of taking it easyish but let rip this afternoon second gear is phenomenal

Dont want to read the whole thread again, I have the start up ticking which it is agreed is the norm.

I also have a ticking constantly but not as harsh and can only be heard when driving driving at low revs

By the way what a beast of a car, 800 miles now, beem kind of taking it easyish but let rip this afternoon second gear is phenomenal

Yeah I’ve had that for months. Mines is really bad. When ever you touch the accelerator

Mine seems to be getting worse. I have it all the time but primarily in comfort all the time consistently, started to notice in dynamic now and comfort in reverse appears worse. The same ticking noise as the cat heat phase which I don't mind but all the time. I have tried fully opening flaps and disconnecting but still occurs in comfort. Not sure the constant noise is the flaps unless it's them rattling due to the pressure. All of this was exhibited with the decat.
Has anyone tried removing the valves completely?

Can the tips be removed and replaced with the non painted polished ones, would save a lot of hassle. I know Audi should have better quality control on their products but it's a volume production

Can the tips be removed and replaced with the non painted polished ones, would save a lot of hassle. I know Audi should have better quality control on their products but it's a volume production

Tips are part of the exhaust.

You’d need to take the rear section off then cut them off then re-weld them back on.

My car now constantly ticks like a hot exhaust on cool down, it does it from the minute I start to the minute I shut it off. When it is clicking and tapping every 15 seconds in a drive thru it’s so embarrassing.

I’ve had a battle even to get a reply from Audi, I give up. Man maths comes into play and I think I will look at the PFL Sports Exhaust.

The guy who did my custom Decat and Link pipes is checking the build over tomorrow and is going to take the backbox apart to see if he can identify whats causing it. Will let you all know what we find I will take photos where necessary.

Reactions: AudiNutta, billymc92, Terminator x and 2 others
The guy who did my custom Decat and Link pipes is checking the build over tomorrow and is going to take the backbox apart to see if he can identify whats causing it. Will let you all know what we find I will take photos where necessary.

I’m just sent milltek another email. They are quick enough to take payment off people (start February) and I’m still waiting for t to be dispatched

Reactions: c2wak and AudiNutta
I’m just sent milltek another email. They are quick enough to take payment off people (start February) and I’m still waiting for t to be dispatched
Yeah I remember you saying it'd be fitted end of March

My car now constantly ticks like a hot exhaust on cool down, it does it from the minute I start to the minute I shut it off. When it is clicking and tapping every 15 seconds in a drive thru it’s so embarrassing.

I’ve had a battle even to get a reply from Audi, I give up. Man maths comes into play and I think I will look at the PFL Sports Exhaust.

That aint good considering how much you paid for your car with exclusive paint & loaded with options.
Such a shame Audi don't treat these things seriously and look after us customers.
It does make you question buying another Audi when you experience things like this.
Jesus ... rusty hubs / squeaky brakes / exhaust rattles / tyre outer wear / flaking exhaust tips ... there is an extensive list now.
Good job they are such good cars otherwise :icon thumright:

@billymc92 i cant believe they still havent given you a definitive date. They are doing this very regularly lately. I had the same with the Turbo Elbow back order so i went custom for this reason. I would be cancelling and going elsewhere!. Im off to see this guy at 3pm i will hopefully have some information about the backbox. Seems a shame to replace the RS backbox for a potential fault (if thats where it lies)

Reactions: billymc92