knocking/ticking noise in doors/windows

madluke

In pursuit of audiness:)
Reaction score
i got annoying knocking or a little ticking when i am driving at slower speeds, when i get windows a bit down i cant hear it then. any advice? please help:) its so annoying.

i got annoying knocking or a little ticking when i am driving at slower speeds, when i get windows a bit down i cant hear it then. any advice? please help:) its so annoying.

I have EXACTLY the same problem in my S3. It's going back to the Dealer to be sorted out and yes, it's ****** annoying! I also have a rattle under the gear stick, both front seat belt clips creak and I have an evil rattle coming from the roof of the boot... bit of a joke really - it's an Audi, not a Fiat :faint:

I had exactly the same in my old A3 in the door. Never found out what it was. My bro also has the same problem in his A3. Keep us posted as to what the dealer says mate ;)

I had exactly the same in my old A3 in the door. Never found out what it was. My bro also has the same problem in his A3. Keep us posted as to what the dealer says mate ;)

Will do, although I don't care what they say, I'm not taking the car back if they haven't fixed it! Car's going in weeek after next. They are loaning me an A4 or something while the work is done under warranty. From the reaction of the service chap to my comments, I suspect it's a common problem with the A3, as are some of the other annoying rattles... I'll let you know what they tell me they did to fix it all. Rattles to me aint acceptable and in my book are a fault with the car - hence it's Warranty time and back to the Dealer as far as I'm concerned! I must admit, Stansted Audi have been great and were quick to show some concern and agree to fix everything to my satisfaction...

Totally agree mate :)

Will do, although I don't care what they say, I'm not taking the car back if they haven't fixed it! Car's going in weeek after next. They are loaning me an A4 or something while the work is done under warranty. From the reaction of the service chap to my comments, I suspect it's a common problem with the A3, as are some of the other annoying rattles... I'll let you know what they tell me they did to fix it all. Rattles to me aint acceptable and in my book are a fault with the car - hence it's Warranty time and back to the Dealer as far as I'm concerned! I must admit, Stansted Audi have been great and were quick to show some concern and agree to fix everything to my satisfaction...

got the same, few differnet creaks, rattles and strange sounds.. ill keep an eye on this one see what the stealers say

I also have a tick-tock noise. Seems to come from somewhere under the dashboard. I can hear it only when I first start the engine and drive. At about 15 km/h, after the doors lock. Seems to be something electrical, maybe a relay or something...

My car is booked in for the 13th July - so when I pick it up (free of rattles and creaks...) I'll make sure I ask what they did to fix them and what the causes were. If they aint fixed, they'll be keeping the car until they are!

The door thing seems to be a common problem with the A3, the rattle I get from the boot is in the ceiling, not too far from where the satnav fin is located. The rattle from under the gear stick comes and goes, but it's ****** annoying - that seems to be a good old fashioned trim vibration caused by plastic and metal expanding/contracting - easily fixed with some adhesive felt I suspect... I would fix all these things myself (my creaking seatbelts I did fix myself with some foam around the base of the clip), but it's four months old and on warranty - so it's Audis problem and I get another car (A4 or A5) while they sort it out.

If it's any consolation, a friend of mine has recently bought an R8 and he's had loads of rattle issues with that! Audi 'quality' going down hill of late? I looked at an S5 in the showroom the other week and you could clearly see the doors weren't alligned properly!

I think we have had discussions on the forum before. My car's weather seal appears to move slightly against the edge of the roof, with road vibrations, an application of wax or something to smooth this appears to work (but not for too long). Another suggestion was to rub the felt surface with wax crayon

Steve

i booked car for monday to check all these noises. i will put some details when they tell me how they fixed it

A common problem on the A3. See:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31261&highlight=window+rattle

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30246&highlight=window+rattle

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6419&highlight=window+rattle

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16278&highlight=window+rattle

... and numerous other threads on the web if you search...

I put vasaline along the top door rubber and it goes away, then it comes back after a couple of weeks, so reapply. Ridiculous really for what is supposed to be a prestige car.

What do you expect? cars will rattle! The forces/stress/strains that cars go under when driving, cornering, hitting bumps, braking etc... are huge so a little rattle has to be expected at some point.

Source them yourselves and replace what needs to be replaced (unless under warrenty of course) or use a padding/wadding to fill the gap where the creak is originating from.

Mankind can land on the moon, split the atom and travel at the speed of sound - but are incapable of producing a rattle free car?

Have any of these issues been resolved as i have the same in my S3

Mankind can land on the moon, split the atom and travel at the speed of sound - but are incapable of producing a rattle free car?

I can tell you I have owned just two cars that have been 100% rattle free. First was a mk3 Golf VR6 that I bought from new many years ago... great car that was - 100% reliable and rattle free for the time I had it (3 years) and the other car (from delivery) for what is now two years of ownership... well that's our Cayman S. Not a rattle, creak... nothing. Worst car I have ever had was a Clio Willams - no surprise there then!

Nuts to any Audi dealer who tries to palm me off with '**** happens' and rattles are the norm and you'll have to live with it. Yes, they can and do/will crop up, but if your car's on warranty, they have to fix them. Audi don't design their cars to rattle. I'd fix them myself if I had to, but I don't. I should get my S3 back all fixed on Friday. They've lent me a rather spiffing 2009 S4 while I'm waiting - so no hurry Audi :whistle2:

Hi - got my S3 back from the Dealer yesterday and I am pleased to say all the rattles had been sorted out; all were 'faults' as such and were put right under warranty. I was told that the door rattles were because of lack of lubricant on the seals - they told me they had to take the door apart and apply some kind of special grease. I did ask what that was and was told it was £80 a tube and really wasn't a DIY job. Sounded like BS to me, but hey, the knocking from the doors when the windows are closed has gone. The rattle at the rear was loose trim, caused by a broken fixing in the roof lining and the gear stick knocking was down to a loose plate near the gear stick linkage. The only thing that ****** me off was the unexplained 46 miles and 21mpg recorded on my car since it's been at the dealer - their service manager will be coming back to me on that one as road testing the car doesn't quite cover that, somthing he really couldn't argue with. I had a similar thing happen with a VW dealer on an R32 Golf I had - a friend of mine even saw my car parked in a pub car park at lunch time... on that occasion the mechanic who 'borrowed' my car was actually sacked! Anyway... rattles all gone and I'm otherwise pretty happy about that.

good news! what a c**t for 'borrowing' your car to go to the pub! mechanics thesedays just probably love trashing other peoples cars!

heh !! that's was me who got sacked , its what made me get my audi , killing yours ...lol joke

LOL! I had no sympathy for the chap at all - ****** cheek of it. It was few years ago as that my mk1 R32... I suspect this kind of thing goes on a lot more than you think - bloke I work with had his Scirocco come back with 30 miles extra on the clock - he'd only left it with the dealer to have a new gear stick fitted as the original one was scratched! Oh and there was fag ash all over the seats, the aircon set to LOW on full blast and all his hifi settings had been changed, oh and a distinct smell of chips in the car (that did make me laugh)... fecking disgraceful and he's still waiting for an explanation from the VW dealer!

Last edited:
Glad the rattles are all sorted. I'd be interested to know if the window/door rattle is permanently fixed though, as if all they did was apply grease I'd have thought this would dry out eventually causing the rattle to return. Mind you, if it's £80 a tube (?!) then it should be good stuff, so hopefully it's all sorted. I agree the mileage added to the car is unacceptable - don't let that one go until they get back to you with a very good explanation!

Last edited:
hahahahaha cheeky **** ... so takes the pee it happens alot when i went to pick my car up from being repaired the guy said it shift's dosent it pal i thought what the F , but i didnt have my car for 2 week i was just glad to get it back.... lol

next time miliage writtain checked and logged in front of dealer garage guy if it moves i want a full tank free of charge , or the garage goes ....lol

Glad the rattles are all sorted. I'd be interested to know if the window/door rattle is permanently fixed though, as if all they did was apply grease I'd have thought this would dry out eventually causing the rattle to return. Mind you, if it's £80 a tube (?!) then it should be good stuff, so hopefully it's all sorted. I agree the mileage added to the car is unacceptable - don't let that one go until they get back to you with a very good explanation!

I have been keeping an eye on this thread because i too have go the ****** annoying door/window rattle,going to have to get the door stripped down to see if there is anything i can see wrong,mine doesnt do it as bad even if you drop the window by even 1mm but as for the £80 grease ! what a load of bullclocks