Knocking the Gear Selector Whilst Moving?

AshleyGTRS

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

So completely irrational fear... looking at buying a B9... what happens if you were to accidently knock the gear selector into R or P whilst moving?

I assume Audi are smart enough to have put redundancies in place to stop this?

Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Don't believe its possible to do that. The gear selector is just a glorified switch in any case, there is no mechanical connection to the gearbox, and I think it locks in such a way as to only allow movement that is permitted whilst driving, i.e. D S and sideways to manual.

Reactions: AshleyGTRS
Don't believe its possible to do that. The gear selector is just a glorified switch in any case, there is no mechanical connection to the gearbox, and I think it locks in such a way as to only allow movement that is permitted whilst driving, i.e. D S and sideways to manual.
Awesome thank you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Never an issue, best decision made was switch to dsg, no more manual crap

You need to put your foot on the brake and press the side button on the gear selector to move into R or P.

According to the manual, it is possibly to select N whilst driving (i.e. from D) but you can move back to D without pressing the brake pedal.

I think there's also a special case where you're allowed to move between R and D rapidly without pressing the brake at low speeds to allow the "rocking' manouver when stuck.