Knocking noise

danambler

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently bought a 2001 S3 with 60k on the clock... everything was great for a week until I snapped a front spring. Ever since I've had this replaced its been making a very annoying intermittent knocking noise. My mechanic checked everything and found slight play in a track rod arm so we replaced this but the noise is still there.

One possible thing I thought it could be is the top mount, the broken spring slightly bent the cup and this was straightened back out out in a bearing press. My mechanic says its all fine though. Could just be a coincidence that the noise appeared after the new spring was fitted.

Noise is mostly at slower speeds and is coming from somewhere up front. It might be my imagination but it seems to get quieter after the cars been driven for a bit.

Anybody any ideas what it might be?

I had a knocking from the front area, but was mainly when going round corners slowly and over bumps, I ended up changing the droplinks, ARB bushes and top mounts at the same time and the noise went, unfortunately I dont know which one sorted the problem. Had a garage fit them for about £100.

I'd check that the top mount has been tightened up properly, as it would have been removed to change the spring. Bounce the car up and down with the bonnet up, and see if it moves or knocks?

Next, check the drop links, it could have gone at the same time, although that would be unlucky!

Other prime candidates for front end knocks are the ARB bushes or ARB collars.

Cheers guys, will check that lot! If I can't find anything I think I'll just try fitting new top mounts.

I had the same issue after hitting a pothole changed drop links arbs and it still knock especially on cats eyes Audi had it stripped the suspension or so they say and found nothing a year later at my mates garage on the ramp he asked if it had gone I said I'd had enough of worry about it and with that he moved the wheel to discover it was the shock it had about 3mm of play in it sorted

Yep if u no someone at Audi it's 63 sheets!!