Knocking noise - Worn control arms

smog c6

Reaction score
Noticed a faint knocking noise has developed over the past week or two.
Had a look under and saw this.

why do Audis have such rubbish upper control arms.

Attachments

• 3090C980-95EA-48D3-A6FD-B6E95FC87077.jpeg
    3090C980-95EA-48D3-A6FD-B6E95FC87077.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
Noticed a faint knocking noise has developed over the past week or two.
Had a look under and saw this.

why do Audis have such rubbish upper control arms.
I haven't heard this being a common issue so I'll disagree with your last sentence...

What's the mileage? Upper control arms, fit Meyle HD or Lemforder. Given you need to check the tracking afterwards, its not a job you want to do twice. Also - only torque them once the car is on its wheels or you'll stress the bushes.

Reactions: smog c6
It’s 3 years old now 85k the rearmost uppers have torn on the ns and os the front most uppers have also got a small tear on both sides. Not much movement seen with a fork however there is excessive movement especially the ns under load.
However I don’t believe the sound is from them, it sounds like a ball joint with play in it however no movement seen. Gonna let it get worse then see which component is bad.

I drove another a4 last Tuesday and the steering was much tighter, makes me feel like replacing everything.

Hi ,
Fantastic advice from Spartacus68 , just had to replace one of the rear most suspension arm ( approx £300 from the indi ) . I've got it now booked in for hunter wheel alignment.
Thank you

You should get away with just replacing the upper arms, given mileage. I replaced the entire suspension on by B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro Avant but it was at 150k miles and there's no point swapping an arm here or there, just replace the lot. I still follow the MOT on the old locomotive and she's over 210k miles now so I must have done something right.

Last edited: