Facelift Knocking noise front right when accelerating slowly and turning at same time

AlbertAudi1999

Reaction score
Hi guys, kinda new to this so not sure if i should post here but anyway. I just want to explain what problem im having at the moment.

Since i bought my car a few months ago I notice an intermittent knocking noise when turning right.(doesn't have to be full lock to hear it) on the straight the noise disappears. To explain the noise better, the knocking seems to be linked to speed as the noise gets faster when accelerating.

I brought it to my mechanic and so far he's changed drop links and the outer cv joint on the right but the noise is still there. He says that the only rotational part left to change is the wheel bearing. It seems as if im throwing parts at the car without getting anywhere.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for reading this and for any replies I get.
Albert

My dad's A1 had knocking and the bearings was replaced, it knocked when turning the wheel and this fixed it

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlbertAudi1999
Thank you for the reply!

Hopefully that's all it is. If not my mechanic doesn't know what else it could be.

I have it booked in for next week to replace the bearing. Ill let you know what happens. For now ill just turn the radio up :)

Had the driver's side cv joint replaced and the sound is still there. Going to bring it for another drive and get it up on the ramp again Monday

Had something similar on the Mrs A3, and it was the top shock mounts, they were both replaced by Audi under warranty.

I'll sure look into that, I'm told there's an unusual amount of lateral movement on my driver's side drive shaft. Apparently replacing both cv joints won't take the play out of it so I have a new driveshaft going in next week. Ill suggest the shock mounts if that doesn't work. Thank you for letting me know!

Driveshaft replaced nothing changed. Going to do the shock mounts next.
Now my flywheel has gone bad too! :(

Sorry for not getting back to you, I changed my alloys back to the original ones(16") from the new 17" ones I bought and the noise is gone! Not sure if the bolts are the wrong length for the new alloys, maybe they're too long and even though they're tight the bolt has bottomed out. Will check tomorrow with alloys shop.

So this problem is sorted and now theres another rattle after coming into play from what seems like the middle of the frontside of the car. Hoping its just the anti roll bar bushings and not engine mounts!

I get this too so interested to know what you find. I’m on standard 19s.

I get this too so interested to know what you find. I’m on standard 19s.
I replaced both shock mounts and nothing has changed. I bought a new anti roll bar kit instead of just the bushes. Im getting it installed alongside the water pump on saturday.

Dont know what else to replace. Engine mounts inspected and got the all clear.

Glad you got the knocking part sorted.

These things can be a ‘mare to track down, sometimes with unusual root cause.

I had a knocking on the GF’s (non Audi) when turning right and it was caused by the under tray on one side not being seated properly and catching on the wheel but only at full right lock.

Am sure I have seen posts on here from years ago about someone finally resolving a noise by finding a golf ball rolling around under the boot floor, and someone else with a number plate slightly bowed and rattling on the mount at speed. My point is that some causes are failing mechanical parts and some causes are really obscure. Really need someone outside the car to hear it as you pass by or in a quiet car park.