Knocking from rear suspension. Anyone ever had this?

PiloTT

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem or if it was a problem common to A3's?

Only noticeable over a lumpy road as slowish speeds, and maybe just on rear right I think.Sounds like something loose it the boot, but not.

Car is under warrenty still and only done 22k but would it be covered? or could Audi call suspension problems wear and tare?

I had it on my first 8P and its very common. Do a search for it on the forum and the way people describe it is perfect! It was a problem that was meant to be fixed after 04 reg's i think but could very well be wrong.

I've had this problem, I could only hear it when slowing down. e.g slowing down to a traffic light. I took it to Audi and they said it was something to do with the bushings. I got it fixed under warranty.

my 54 reg does this - I have described it as a "bobbling" sound before. Anyone got any ways to fix rather than just saying that it is a common problem
thanks

I have a similar problem but think it might be from the front. It has been in to audi once who said it was the drop link on the anti-roll bar but it is not cured. Still has a "rattly / bobble". The car is ouit of warranty in June so intend to take it back next month. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? is it common?
Also what are the symptoms of the steering rack problem that A3's have had?

2.0 sportback tfsi

In case anyone has similar problems, I just heard back from the dealers and they are fitting new shocks under warrenty.

Someone on here once described it as the sound of a rubber ball bouncing around the inside of empty 1.5 litre coke bottle.
Absolutely perfect description.
Mine had it, the dealer reported 'no fault found', even though it was widely reported as a common fault.

I also have this problem.
Only at slow speeds and seems to be from the rear drivers side.

However, it only started last week after fitting new coilovers.
So I'm unsure replacing the shocker would resolve!

Anyone have a definitive cause / cure?

I also have this problem.
Only at slow speeds and seems to be from the rear drivers side.

However, it only started last week after fitting new coilovers.
So I'm unsure replacing the shocker would resolve!

Anyone have a definitive cause / cure?

could be the droplink now its sitting at a different angle.

I also had that sound coming from the rear. I got the rear dampers replaced under warranty (known problem - Audi Germany issued extended warranty for this) but after fitting gewinde suspension there was a new knocking sound. This time it was the droplinks...they couldn't handle beeing in that lowered position all the time...These babies cured it!!

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1645

So am I right in saying that the OE drop links can't cope with the car being lowered? Do I defo require upgraded parts or can I source new OE spec parts?

If upgraded drop links required, anyone know of any other brands other than the nuespeed? They're kinda expensive @£136 (Awesome-GTI price)

Cheers!
Don.

So am I right in saying that the OE drop links can't cope with the car being lowered? Do I defo require upgraded parts or can I source new OE spec parts?

If upgraded drop links required, anyone know of any other brands other than the nuespeed? They're kinda expensive @£136 (Awesome-GTI price)

Cheers!
Don.

Yes the droplinks will wear out much faster if you lower it like this. Maybe you won't have any problems...but many, also on the GMKV have this specific problem...I had S-Line Suspension previous to the Weitec Hicon adjustable setup so dunno if there's any difference to the standard A3 setup?...I went moderate low and 2 weeks after installing the Weitec...Koncking sound was very present...:

290408c.jpg

I think the Neuspeed's are worth the money, and I don't think anyone else makes them...I certainly couldn't find others when I searched for them about a year ago. Maybe other manufacturers have joined Neuspeed...