Knocking/clunking from front suspension when going over bumps

NM07

Gold Supporter
Hi chaps,

Since I got my current saloon, it's always had a faint knocking noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps, or rough pieces of road. I had the anti-roll bar drop links replaced a while back, and that didn't seem to cure it. I asked my mechanic to take a look at it before the MoT the other day and he couldn't find any play in the suspension, so was a bit stumped on what it could be. I know these have a complicated setup on the front, with lots of arms, wondering if there is a common bush/linkage or something that could be the culprit. It's getting louder now and it drives me mad when going down bumpy roads lol, sounds so disconcerting! I didn't have this on my last B7 which had much higher mileage than my current one, so I know something's not quite right.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
are you running oe s-line ?

NM07

Gold Supporter
Yep as far as I'm aware everything is OE S-Line parts

NM07

Gold Supporter
At 95k miles I'd imagine it's still on factory arms and bushes

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
All the bushes etc tend to wear quite a lot after a few years to be honest , top and bottom , s-line setup tends to amplify any wear as it is not really the best setup , a bit harsh on a good day.
A lot of guys just bite the bullet and replace upper and lower arms/bushes etc in one swoop, that way you get a nice new front end setup without the worry what bush will fail next, also it's just one labour charge if you're having it done in a garage.

NM07

Gold Supporter
Makes sense, it's a 15 year old car now so I'm not surprised the arms and bushes are a little tired. Are there any places that sell a full 'kit' for lack of a better word, that includes all the necessary parts to refresh the front suspension arms and bushes?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
i'm on 92k and uppers arm bushes are starting to get a bit soft etc, maybe even split if i get upclose to look.
A new front end set is on my next big outlay during the summer, i'll do it myself so its only parts which works for me.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Makes sense, it's a 15 year old car now so I'm not surprised the arms and bushes are a little tired. Are there any places that sell a full 'kit' for lack of a better word, that includes all the necessary parts to refresh the front suspension arms and bushes?
I'm surprised your dampers etc have lasted so long , my rear dampers sprung a leak years ago at about 50k I think, plus two rear springs snapped at 35k
front weren't much better either, s-line is not really all its cracked up to be .
so suspensions parts should be viewed the same....

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
From my experience thus far, I'd be replacing everything.
I know that sounds a bit extreme but a fresh set of upper and lower arm etc combined with a quality set of damper/srings (not s-line) front and rear would transform a 15 year old car.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Replacing the s-line kit with an aftermarket setup on my avant was by far one of the best things i have done to it .
The difference is like night and day.

Jamsmoo

Had an issue with my previous b7 which sounds similar.All suspension parts seemed fine.
One day on a particular section of road near home that always set the clunks and knocks off near home I had to brake where I wouldn’t usually..no knocks !
It was the offside brake pad/pads rattling against the disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sygh2k

Check the front subframe for movement, i get knocks on rougher roads but on the smoother surfaces its hardly noticeable and i have all powerflex bushes on arms and spax rsx coils