Knock only when turning right. ESP

Cheeks

Reaction score
So I’m getting a pretty scary problem at the moment not sure if they’re related or not

1. I’m getting a knock but only if I’m turning right, bumps are fine, turning left is no issue.

2. If turning right for instance round a roundabout, traction control will kick in and swerve me even more right then level out, pretty violently sometimes.

3. Hard acceleration makes the car swerve to the right and dips my steering wheel left, then it straightens out when I let off...

It’s recently had new ball joints/inner track rods, along with ends. It’s also got polybushed arms.

Admittedly my tracking is out a bit, my right hand sits at about 4 o clock when going straight.

I’m not getting and “ticking” cv joint noises when turning.

I did manage to trigger the noise when parking the other day, almost full lock right and every time I rolled forward a bit and tapped the brakes it knocked.

So to summarise, scary as s*%^, please help. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to straighten your steering wheel up for a start.

Your car thinks it is crashing, based on the difference between wheel speed and steering angle input it is currently seeing on a right turn - hence the ESP stepping in.

Get it tracked correctly. Until then, you could take off the steering wheel and straighten it up.

Then look for any other issues that might be there.

You need to straighten your steering wheel up for a start.

Your car thinks it is crashing, based on the difference between wheel speed and steering angle input it is currently seeing on a right turn - hence the ESP stepping in.

Get it tracked correctly. Until then, you could take off the steering wheel and straighten it up.

Then look for any other issues that might be there.

That’s another thing, I’m about to get another subframe/arms/shocks/springs put on as im upgrading a few bits but it’s not for a couple of weeks so I’m sort trying to figure out if it’s anything I’m not changing like driveshafts and cv joint

Get it tracked correctly.

...but not this....
Until then, you could take off the steering wheel and straighten it up.

There is a mark on the column that aligns with the wheel... this needs to be aligned for correct operation of ESP etc (once tracking is aligned too)

<tuffty/>

...but not this....

Was hoping not to do it twice haha

There is a mark on the column that aligns with the wheel... this needs to be aligned for correct operation of ESP etc (once tracking is aligned too)

<tuffty/>

Yeah these are lined up bang on.

Any ideas what would cause the knock though?

Ball joint, drop link, ARB and have on occasion known it to be a wheel bearing

<tuffty/>

Ball joint, drop link, ARB and have on occasion known it to be a wheel bearing

<tuffty/>

It’s had ball joints replaced about a month ago. Along with inner track rod.

I thought wheel bearing too but it’s been lifted up and there’s no knocking when I wobbled the wheel.

Also there’s no whining

Who fit a track rod without the tracking at the same time?
When I changed the track rods and lower arms on my wife's BMW a few years ago the car was undrivable on the way to be tracked.

Who fit a track rod without the tracking at the same time?
When I changed the track rods and lower arms on my wife's BMW a few years ago the car was undrivable on the way to be tracked.

I fit it, but I’d already bought the other parts to fit, just been delayed a lot so now I may as well fix the issue until it gets booked in.
When I fit them I measured end to end and made sure it was as close as possible, put a paint mark on the rod but obviously it doesn’t take much for it to be out!

I’ll go get the tracking sorted tomorrow, it’s obviously a good start haha

I know they are different cars, but I had to drive about 20 mph as the car was all over the shop. It must be related

I know they are different cars, but I had to drive about 20 mph as the car was all over the shop. It must be related

Yeah I’ve done it before and it was pretty similar in but this seems to be a bit more violent haha, I’m guessing it’s when the turbo kicks in it it just shits itself haha

Could tracking cause a knock like that round corners though?
The garage was too busy today to do my tracking but they reckoned driveshaft was knackered based on what I told them.

A knock is from a worn component not because tracking is out....

Welly (a former and apparently popular member in 8L... he now owns a BMW!) had a similar issue with his S3... I even took the car out myself and could replicate the knock on turning left and right at low speeds but could not identify where it was coming from.. he later replaced the uprights with a pair from an LCR and the noise just went...

All we could think of was the wheel bearings

<tuffty/>

Uprights? Guessing you mean shocks? Never heard that term before but it makes sense!

And that’s exactly my thoughts, and I’m sort of torn, I don’t want to spend like £30-50 to get the tracking done to then get all this kit fitted and do it again.

But at the same time, it’s also scary as **** when pushing it or going round roundabouts.
It’s definitely better when I turn traction control off or whatever happens when you press ESP.

Uprights? Guessing you mean shocks? Never heard that term before but it makes sense!

And that’s exactly my thoughts, and I’m sort of torn, I don’t want to spend like £30-50 to get the tracking done to then get all this kit fitted and do it again.

But at the same time, it’s also scary as **** when pushing it or going round roundabouts.
It’s definitely better when I turn traction control off or whatever happens when you press ESP.

Not shocks... the assembly that houses the wheel bearing/hub that the shock fits into...

<tuffty/>

Not shocks... the assembly that houses the wheel bearing/hub that the shock fits into...

<tuffty/>

Oh! Gotcha, think I’ve heard it called the steering knuckle haha.
I’m sure I’ve seen that on a post on here before something about track end taper being worn over time to the point we’re it just knocks.

If you get the tracking checked will they notice any other faults with this area?

When I had my old B Reg Golf MK2 the tracking was out causing a clicking round certain corners. That's when I really decided to mistrust garages as they said the problem was drive shafts and I said I only had £15 to get tracking done and that sorted the problem out.