Sportback Knock/creak when pulling away, and general knocks and bumps

Monkeychops

Reaction score
Just tried to sign up here as recently bought a pfl RS3, seems I had an account already :). (Probably from back when I had an old 3.2 A3)

Had the car a couple of months now, bought second hand from Audi main dealer, 1 previous owner, nice spec.

I’ve got it booked into Audi in a few weeks time to have a few things looked at, but just thought would post up here to see what people think :)

When pulling away from stationary in first gear there’s a definite knock from the front end, if your softer on the throttle ‘dragging’ launching off out it sounds like something creaking.

My guess was possibly the gearbox mount being worn giving some movement to something when it’s put under that initial load. Car has approx 33k on the clock.

Does that sound right, or possibly something else?

Also the car sometimes generally sounds like the suspension is knocking and creaking, not always though which is annoying, often noticeable low speed cornering (usually left turns), and especially if the road has a bit of camber to it.

Car has mag ride which I understand is known for being a bit noisy, but anything in particular such as top mounts that cause this?

Otherwise have been enjoying the car, done about 3k in it already :)

Thanks!

Just tried to sign up here as recently bought a pfl RS3, seems I had an account already :). (Probably from back when I had an old 3.2 A3)

Had the car a couple of months now, bought second hand from Audi main dealer, 1 previous owner, nice spec.

I’ve got it booked into Audi in a few weeks time to have a few things looked at, but just thought would post up here to see what people think :)

When pulling away from stationary in first gear there’s a definite knock from the front end, if your softer on the throttle ‘dragging’ launching off out it sounds like something creaking.

My guess was possibly the gearbox mount being worn giving some movement to something when it’s put under that initial load. Car has approx 33k on the clock.

Does that sound right, or possibly something else?

Also the car sometimes generally sounds like the suspension is knocking and creaking, not always though which is annoying, often noticeable low speed cornering (usually left turns), and especially if the road has a bit of camber to it.

Car has mag ride which I understand is known for being a bit noisy, but anything in particular such as top mounts that cause this?

Otherwise have been enjoying the car, done about 3k in it already :)

Thanks!

Top mounts. Tis a known issue across the 8V range. I have had the same on Mrs' A3 - link to the threas below along with a few others.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-needed-front-suspension-creaking-noise.378901/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/weird-intermittent-creaking.217958/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/creaking-noise-front-suspension-2015-a3.258203/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/8v-front-suspension-creaking.233615/

Thanks! Worry is if they don’t hear it on any test run they do they’ll just say sorry nothing to see here (it’s still under warranty...)

But if it’s ‘just’ the top mounts and I want to change them for my own sanity shouldn’t be too much trouble.

Anyone have part numbers/cost for the Audi parts? :)

Interesting you mentioned this, I get it on a FL when I reverse. Quite a noticeable knock. Didn’t know it I should raise it with main dealer.

There was a TPI for them for the PFL, for the rear they replaced mine for the updated ones for nothing. I believe its like a half recall, they only replace for people that have the noise or something or mention it.

Car has been in with the dealer since Monday, today they called to say they are replacing the gearbox mount and are waiting for the part to come in.

Glad I’m getting a new gearbox mount as would’ve possibly tried some of these mount inserts to firm things up, but a new mount will be just fine instead :)

Not convinced it’ll fix the problem but we shall see, if it does great I’ll be pleasantly surprised and happy, if not it’ll have to go back in and I’ll have got a new gearbox mount out of it ;)

Just to close this off, after 3 weeks, due to some stuff not related to the issue, I've now got the car back with a new engine/gearbox mount fitted and all the noises have stopped.

Car feels tighter now and no more dodgy noises when pulling away or low speed cornering, feels like a new car so very pleased.

Was surprised it wasn't the top mounts, but either way it's fixed now :)

Just to close this off, after 3 weeks, due to some stuff not related to the issue, I've now got the car back with a new engine/gearbox mount fitted and all the noises have stopped.

Car feels tighter now and no more dodgy noises when pulling away or low speed cornering, feels like a new car so very pleased.

Was surprised it wasn't the top mounts, but either way it's fixed now :)

Tis a well known swap on the 8P RS3

Mine spent a considerable amount of time at various Audi dealers while they searched for the noise.

Most higher mileage 8P Rs3 owners swap them as a serviceable item.

Looks like the 8V will suffer the same issue over time, especially as most will have had a hard life in their earlier mileage, being launched etc......

To be fair to the dealer they found it right away, just there was some issue between my local dealer, and the one I bought from (I still don't know why it had to go back to the original dealer).

Does feel like a new car now though :)