Kinect simply awesome!!!

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
ok in the throws of xmas shopping i was starting to feel left out....so treated myself to a Kinect for the Xbox.

You get one game with it (adventures) and i then bought the dance game (for the misus - honest!!) and sports. What can i say, simply brilliant, you do need a good amount of space as the thing wont calibrate if your not at least 6 foot away from the TV, other than that its great - boxing is far more accurate than the Wii ever was, downside is that your looking at Wii-esk grahpics for the sports (not sure on the rest yet) just a much more updated fresher version - bowling is not as easy as the wii but still good, football is suprisingly addictive.

Well worth a bash chaps!! what i will say is its prob best buying a new Xbox and selling yours as it works out much better on price, you should be able to get over £100 for an old one which will almost entirely offset the upgrade - i didnt change mine as bought a new elite with jasper chip, not much point in changing when you consider the hassle and the fact that i would have to wipe the HD

This is good to hear, I'm getting one of these for christmas with these exact games...

....is the dance central game good fun drunk??

Good, as mine is sitting under my xmas tree waiting to be setup for my birthday next week!

Im doing a good job of not using it so far, i am resisting as its my birthday present.

I bought myself game party in motion and bought the missis your shape for xmas.

How is it in relation to any lag issues Tim?? Been thinking about getting my lad one for chrimbo but all the videos i've seen of them seem to suffer quite badly with lag.

I'm glad I saw this as I'm thinking of getting one, been watching this system since MS bought the israeli company that started this.

Im part of the xbox live team. had it for a long while. No lag issues mate. suggest you get down to your local game and try it out. Im not trying to be one sided playstations move is great fun. But Kinect is in a league of its own.

yup agree totally....it doesn't have an ounce of lag matey.....

Ruin, i got the dance game for the misus but found myself having a go after work, to be fair its quite good fun, it takes snaps and vids of you during and reviews them at the end - dangerous stuff :) - i would imagine it would be even better when ******. One of the main reasons i bought the Kinect was for friends round activities - definitely a WII type gimmick, but the potential is massive, cant wait for the first COD if they would make a Kinect version

Microsoft have lead the way withthe Kinnect. Nintendo went the controller way and then Sony followed them but Microsoft went one better.
Hats off to them but I still wouldn't pay to go on-line though, hat's back on and getting coat!

Whilst i can see how it appeals to some people, i don't want to be prancing about my living room to play a game

I've got the Wii with a multitude of games if i want to be a bit more "involved" with the game and it's a good laugh when mates are around

But i don't want to be having to move ALL my furniture about to pretend to kick a ball....i'd rather go outside and play footie!

Very nice from what i've seen, just not my cup o' tea...plus, i'm not an Xbox man

as an xbox man....i would suggest you dont form an opinion of kinect until you've played on it, i have owned a Wii for a few months which i too found useful for when visitiors come round for a few drinks..... this is an entirely different beast which requires the same amount of space as a wii does, you dont have to prance about like they do in the ads, it really does wipe the floor with the Wii and is far more engaging - a complete step above the Wii and the PS3 version of

Having played both the move and kinnect I'd say they both have merits. It's nice not having any controllers, but the accuracy of the move is amazing. I'd buy the move, but that's purely because I already have a ps3 and couldn't justify the 200+ costs for a new xbox and kinnect.

Either way, they are much better than the wii. I'm intrigued to see how nintendo react to everyone copying them :)

Kinect wasnt a copy, its the only controllerless console on the market.

Of course it's a copy. Nintendo came out with the wii and a whole new way of playing and the move and kinect are just variations of that. I admit it's controllerless, but still the same principles.

And the lack of controller is ok until someone walks in camera view and it all goes wrong.

Ahhh so now its a variation of the Wii, just completely controllerless, yeap see how they're identical :banghead:

Yeah ok. So Microsoft never looked at the wii and said "why didn't we think of that?"

They've had this gimmick controllerless camera jobbie for years and years, but only decided to bring it out after nintendo released the wii and had massive success. That what you're telling me?

I think all games companies looked at the wii and realised they had missed a huge portion of the gaming market and now they all want a slice.

And the playstation 2 had the ps eye toy. That was controller less too (so again Microsoft copied). Nothin but hand waving to play games. Admittedly you couldn't talk to it to open the game disc tray, but that's also a novelty which requires silence in the room and I've yet to see it even work when people have shown me.

How do you think things come to fruition from fair few companies, they get jealous of eachothers technology & improve upon that by going 1 better, of which MS have done with a big step on this occassion.

Also I see a contradiction here, 1st you say they copied Nintendo, then you say they've had this controllerless GIMMICK for years, make your mind up as if they've had it for years then that would indicate they were working on this probably before Wii even saw the light of day.

To add, if you call this a GIMMICK then who knows what else would be, as for me its a huge jump for technology, its already had open drivers created for windows & this will lead to even better technology & more uses for varied devices & operating systems, its a brilliant idea if you think outside the shell of XBox.

Just some info for you aswell, Microsoft bought an Israeli company in 09 iirc called 3DV, this company was heavily into developement of the controllerless design use, this obviously boosted there Kinect product or probably already had a huge hand in the business way before purchase anyway, so I still dont buy the COPY line.

Now definitely agree Sony have copied without a doubt.

But of course, forums are about opinions, this is just mine.

There was a question mark after the gimmick statement. I was asking you if you thought microsoft had the kinect before the wii? I doubt they did. In which case, they've jumped on the band wagon too.

How is the kinect a massive step beyond the eye toy?

Yes you could say the move is a copy of the wii, but as said they did the whole controller less thing first with the eye toy on playstation 2 and realised it was bab for accuracy, so went back to having a controller.

They're all copies, they are all promoting physical movements to control the games rather than button pressing which it has been for so many years.

And just because they acquired a company doesn't mean it hasn't copied...its often just a faster way of gaining knowledge of a certain area. Companies do it all the time. I anything it proves they want to copy even more. They probably had an idea, realised an israeli company was doing it and thought "crap, we can't compete, let's just buy them instead and acquire their knowledge"

The difference between previous ideas, is MS/3DV have actually made it work properly, others were just plain *****, that is a massive step forward in camera distinctions in gesturing.

Problem is most people dont appreciate the work that goes into these things & dont think outside the box of the implications 1 bit of tech can have on the rest of the world, eg. DOS/Windows, if people think the xbox is as far as this will go, then they're very much mistaken, this has huge potential going forward, it already inspired one hacker within 3 hours of lauch to create a basic driver set, in 3 hours ***, thats pretty ****** good imho as its taken years to perfect the gesture controlling & as someone that follows technology everyday I find these things amazing, others just look at it & say its a copy of this & that without really appreciating how it probably will change there lives one day.

So you acknowledge that previous ideas were similar and ms just copied and added a bit? That's what they all do, I agree. I still don't see where the huge step is though with the kinect.

And I do appreciate what has gone in to it all. I am an electronic engineer, so love this kind of stuff also. Maybe it will change my life...one day...slightly.

I assume you are talking about the 3d imaging that the guy was doing with the kinect? That is amazing stuff and is most impressive, but I'm sure it could have been done before. Ms have just provided him with a cheap option as they have produced so many that cost has fallen. Now that they're cheap he can afford to do it easier.

I acknowledge that sony & others may have had a similar idea with a view to being "CONTROLLERLESS" & failed miserably, but the Wii isnt one of them, the Wii relies on you moving sensors in a device that is attached to your body as in your hand, the Kinect doesnt rely on any sensors attached to your body as such, it uses cameras mostly to intepret the movements & with good programming they have managed to crack what tbh wasnt possible before, now whether this was MS or the bought in technology who cares, its still different from the Wii in so far as the technology used, will you at least agree with that aspect.

Here's the inventory from iFixit, minus screws and other tiny bits.
  • Four microphones. Four! We've taken apart binaural devices before, but this is our first quadaural sensor setup!
  • Two cameras (infrared CMOS and color CMOS) and an IR projector.
  • A fan. For a 12-watt device, Microsoft seems very paranoid about heat dissipation. This is understandable considering the Xbox 360's red-ring-of death problems. This is a good thing for consumers, but we can't help but wonder if they've gone overboard in the cooling department.
  • 64 MB of Hynix DDR2 SDRAM
  • A motor. This motor is nothing to write home about. It's quite tiny. Diminutive, even. So tiny that you might want to make sure you keep Kinect out of your toddler's reach, because forcing it to pan could damage the gears.
  • A three-axis accelerometer. We suspect this is used to increase the accuracy of the panning motor.
  • A Prime Sense PS1080-A2. Kinect is based on Prime Sense's motion detection technology. This chip is the Kinect's brains-all the sensors are wired into here for processing before transmitting a refined depth map and color image to the Xbox.
If it was possible before, then there would of been a device out in the wild to utilise these skills of the guy, but for sure MS have provided a device at a right price that has allowed others to build upon.

For me this has awesome potential, think Minority Report & Avatar some day, Wii & Move are fun to use but dont really go beyond that do they.

I dont whole heartedly disagree with your thought process on this discussion, but technically speaking they're different.

You find the move more accurate than kinect? I find the opposite....quite suprised at sony for missing the trick ms have picked up on, after the horse has bolted possibly with the move, reflected in the amount of games available....unless sony come up with something soon they wil be continuing to live off their blu ray and brand. Bit disappointed ms haven't included blu ray player on the new system but then I don't think blu ray is going to be at the helm for long given what's coming, possibly a sign of a new system?

I have just signed up for another 24 months on live...really can't see the fuss of the ps 3, bought missus need for speed for xmas and every server game is with americans or anything but british,pish!! That's after I've wasted my life waiting for updates on a brand new game....mid loading appears longer too.....in its favour I'd say the odd game is better than xbox, but it ain't night and day....if it weren't for blu ray the ps 3 would be on ebay

My main reason for having the ps3 was the poor reliability of the early 360's and that live requires a subscription. I did have a 360, it died in 2 months so I got it fixed and sold it.

A lot of people feel that the move is more accurate. The illuminated ball allows for a really good visual reference and ability to perform good depth estimates. I do like the kinect, but feel it has weaknesses. I'm also intrigued to see if any good serious games come out for it.

There are a few ps3 games penciled in with move compatibility which could be brilliant.

And NHN, I do appreciate some of the kinect merits but can't help still thinking it's a copy of the wii. Sure, implemented in a slightly different way, but still offers the same end outcome...gaming with physical movements.

Are there any proper games pencilled in for kinect? (and that's a serious question, not being an **** ha)

I think the reliability is flipped on its head now,xbox introduced the jasper chip which solved the issue before the new console was released,ps3 red light of death still exists doesn't it? Also the reliability of sonys third party servers are what you'd expect for free, last COD servers froze on launch day with half as many users as xbox....you get what you pay for. To be fair I see what you saying about depth, but then you have that and far more with kinect, you just have to get used to it like you wil with move...

Sorry but this a none debatable issue, move is light years behind kinect....sony have missed a trick, its a night and day comparison using different technology to achieve a specific result, the ps technology is old hat and was before it launched

IMO having kinect since Xmas; kinect is great fun, but as I found with my wii the enjoyment slightly wears off over time... I still go back to it though so far which is more than I can say for the wii!
Move is a complete copy of the wii! Made me laugh when they announced it and it looked almost identical! Complete gimmick IMO opinion, and an expensive one once you buy all that bits to play with a mate!
Thing is kinect is great bit of tech but it could also turn into a gimmick if there aren't any proper games out for it... At the moment the games just really show kinect off to varying degree of success! When a gears halo or cod or something more serious uses it for something useful then I think this whole motion control movement will make sence!

IMO having kinect since Xmas; kinect is great fun, but as I found with my wii the enjoyment slightly wears off over time... I still go back to it though so far which is more than I can say for the wii!
Move is a complete copy of the wii! Made me laugh when they announced it and it looked almost identical! Complete gimmick IMO opinion, and an expensive one once you buy all that bits to play with a mate!
Thing is kinect is great bit of tech but it could also turn into a gimmick if there aren't any proper games out for it... At the moment the games just really show kinect off to varying degree of success! When a gears halo or cod or something more serious uses it for something useful then I think this whole motion control movement will make sence!

I am also intrigued to see if any proper games come out for kinect. I can't see how any serious games will work for it, not saying there won't be any but at the moment I personally can't see it. How would gears of war work on kinect? I just don't think it could.

I agree the move is closer to the wii, but i feel that with the use of controllers it can be much more accurate. The fact that both socom and killzone 3 are apparently move compatible says that the move has much more potential to be for serious gaming rather than waving at animals on a screen.

the fact that your ignoring is that your hand on kinect is the controller.... so in effect having a silly hand unit with a ball attached is a silly add on that was once needed, iirc kinect measures 25-50 points on your body with most games (and with incredible accuracy), the active measures 50,000 points of your body, a bit like a having 50,000 controllers strapped to you - how you can draw a comparison is beyond me considering the potential shown so early in its life - bit like saying duck hunt is better than move because its not hard to figure out what to do. That said i do agree with jdas, be good to see what they do come up with - although given what it can do already when compared to the move/wii id be shocked if it remained at silly cartoon games.

I know how it uses your body as a controller, but at the same time this makes it incredibly difficult to program for. Every person is a different shape, colour, hair style, clothing etc, background colours, other people moving in the room. Think a room of 7 people all watching and moving...they are also controllers (so now we're talking 350 000 controllers in the room, that's not so good afterall is it?)

I have played a Kinect, and experienced that exact same problem. Anyone in the camera view was interupting gameplay and had to stay incredibly still. By having a known size and colour object it can be tracked with a far greater accuracy and people without a glowing ball attached to them are invisible to the game. Anyway, that's not what I was originally arguing. Originally I was stating how both the move and kinect are essentially copies of the Wii, albeit with slightly different ways of implementing the interaction. I did like the Kinect, and was tempted for a short while to purchase an xbox for one, but just struggle with the games, i don't want to wave at my pet dog on screen.

I just cannot think of any games that would work with a kinect. Driving games...no. Football games...no (the football game currently on there is bab and is more like netball as you can't move your player). FPS's...no. At least with the move (yes i agree it's very similar to the wii) you can play FPS games, as Killzone 3 and SOCOM will prove. I know there are some genius' out there who might come up with new ideas, but until then i'm just not convinced enough to part any cash.

na i'll agree with that comment, i have a pyrenean (Giant breed dog) who walks in front of me and blocks the damned signal!! :) that said there is some sort of built in mechanism in place, like a lag? i know this as when you try and change hands it doesnt register straight away as if its searching for the hand you've hidden from it. On another note and given the complexities of the technology, i cant imagine it would be hard to offer a remote device up to the kinect if it would indeed help game play - ok not ideal because you've already parted with ya cash for Kinect.....but given what Kinect has regards sensors, it wouldnt be that hard to connect a remote up to it or some sort of priority reflecter (you catch my drift - to coin a bad phrase :) )

In my opinion the Wii went for the party games, and bored the crap outta me on my own.....move i havent enough experiance of to comment..... Kinect seems to be more across the board, of course your not going to go on ACTIVE whilst your having a few beers - how many times have you adopted fitness classes/yoga on a night out!!??

its a wait and see thing, one things for certain though - potential is better than anything out there, confirmed by the massively positive press since launch - and im sure these people have more of a grip than we do

Yeah, the waiting and seeing is gonna be interesting with this one, and i agree it has more potential, the move is a better Wii and can only really go in that direction. I hope the genius' out there can find something more entertaining for Kinect as it could be good, just at the moment it still also feels like a better version of the Wii.

I was exactly the same with a Wii, wanted one desperately at first, played a mates a few times and was already bored so luckily never bought one.

And yes, performing yoga with mates around isn't exactly gonna happen...unless the mrs does it in a skimpy outfit, lol, i'm sure my mates wouldn't mind then.

If MS brought out any external sensors I don't think it would go down too well for monetary reasons, and the fact that it will be a glorified move/ wii then, lol. The move seems cheaper, but by the time you've bought all the gubbins for a decent 2 player game I reckon it'll be more than the kinect. Clever people those MS/ Sony and Nintendo.

depends, kinect with an xbox is supringly cheaper!!

What i meant was that they could bring out something if they found kinect was restictive as you say, as an add on for certain games...the worlds their oyster basically..... WII/PS3 dont have any options except to make bats and rackets for the controllers to fit in :)

depends, kinect with an xbox is supringly cheaper!!

...off to look at play.com now, lol. Although the mrs aint gonna let me buy one, and now GT5 is out I don't even have the Forza excuse like I used to.

..... WII/PS3 dont have any options except to make bats and rackets for the controllers to fit in :)

Don't forget steering wheels for mario kart! lol. Oh, and the gun attachment for Time Crisis....but I get your point, and agree with it.

£250 all in IIRC, although you wouldnt want the **** end console would ya ;)

I only upgraded mine after getting the run up to RROD the freezing..... but got a jasper chip model elite 6 months before the new one launched..... difference is with the new one that you have a built in wireless N router, and you dont need to plug the kinect into the wall, but straight into the xbox power pack.....not enough for me to change personally as any wireless network induces bullet lag, a COD veterans worst fear when building a decent death ratio :)

I know, why would I want an xbox? :p

I always have my ps3 wired directly into my router as i have issues with wireless, whether it's a bit of lag or a slight connection fail and you get kicked out of the game. The built in wireless is nice for those who need it though, it was always another thing that annoyed me about xbox's, that and the need to buy the rechargable battery pack for the controllers. Anyway, I am going way off topic, ha!

My bro-in-law has the kinect also, so hoping to go have lots of testing time on that when some new games come out. Although last time I was round they were talking of buying zumba for my sister....joy!

its semantics really.... everyone who went xbox, love xbox, ps3's the same..... i cant get to grips with the ps3 controllers as the joysticks are not in the right place - part of their keeping in keeping with the original items. To be fair i switched my home network to N routers all round, they work far batter (10 meter range compared to 50 meter at a much faster speed) so should see an improvement over what i had, im not willing to part with £50 though to check (dont think PS3 uses 'N' grade does it? the old ones didnt) - the ethernet remains at the bottom of the stairs coiled ready to connect up :) must run a CAT5 network ring when i get around to it ;)

I have noticed when going on need for speed , the new one on ps3, the networks are not as well populated meaning more chance of a foreign game, meaning more lag and more chance of a kick..thats why i dont mind paying for live, last time the system went down was well over 2 years ago and once since owning over a 5 year stint - 2 minute upgrades every 6 months as opposed to 3 weekly 20 minute uploads then installation!!

this will go on forever :)

haha, yeah the psn networks aint as good as xbox that's for sure. But, in Bad company 2 they do me good, and that's about all i play online at the moment. And no, as far as i know the ps3's aeren't wireless N, would be nice if they were. I'm all wireless N everywhere else, but as said, my PS3 is hardwired, so all good there.

The joysticks on the PS3 controller are gay and 360 controllers are better, I admit that too. Hang on a minute, I actually never said the xbox was poo, lol. In many ways i prefer it, just the RROD scared me, and I was always a Sony man anyway. It's more just the bumming of kinect that bugs me a little at the moment, as it hasn't yet shown what people say it will. Maybe it will, but until then i'm dubious of it.

seriously fella, RROD went on the last phase of xbox's before the new one was launched...... they changed the power pack and chips (reduced salt)

it is a preference thing, if ya happy then save yaself £300...i detested paying £40 for a game, uploaded an Xbox app on my phone the other day and checked out my gaming history and must have spenty well over £400 on games, and im a light user when compared to others!! sucked in is the term i think!! wana try battlefield but bought every one before this one and always reverted to COD, tried moving away a few times and failed wasting 'precious' :(

Yeah i know it's sorted now, but that was my original reasoning behind the buying the PS3 years ago. And now, I just can't persuade the wife to let me buy a 360, lol. I'd also consider myself a light user, have about 8 games that i have acquired over the years that's all, and all of them are classics i'd say. Bad company 2 is far better than the other ones, but if you've already tried the older ones I wouldn't want you to buy it on my recommendation only, lol.

I have to agree kinect really is amazing.

Been playing all weekend on kinect sports and have been competing with random people online at bowling and track and field.

Its ****** brilliant, almost like im actually there performing the events against a real person.

Im suffering today though as i did'nt warm up and after performing hurdles, 100m, long jump, discuss, javelin, and other events i can barely walk as my legs are killing me.

Its great to know though that when your head to head with these people on say 100m, you just know there also in their living room running like a t*&t.

If this is what the first game is like, i cant wait for some football, tennis and golf games.

P.s have you actually tried beating the champion difficulty on the football...its impossible!!