Keyless Security.

Booboo

Reaction score
I currently have an A1 and in the near future I'm looking to get an A5 2.0TFSi (I dont do many miles)
How secure is the keyless system. I read in the paper and net all the time about keyless cars getting hacked and stolen, Including Audi. Have they rolled out an update for this, or is it true euro legislation stops them from disabling the OBD port once the ignition is off?
This is a great concern as I don't want to spend £18k on car just for someone with a bit of kit from Aliexpress to come and take it away.
Are there any other issues with the A5 2.0TFSi?
Thanks guys.

That is the answer I've been looking for.
Just need to ensure I get a 12 plate or above so I don't get an oil burner

That is the answer I've been looking for.
Just need to ensure I get a 12 plate or above so I don't get an oil burner
Glad to help. It's a great investment for piece of mind. :)

Reactions: THQuattro
Alternatively, relocate the ODB port with an extension cable (can be hidden up in the fuse box area on the drivers side). Way cheaper and 95% as secure as they would need to open the door to gain access to it but they need access to it to both disable the alarm and open the door... and that's if they knew where to look!

Also fit a steering lock - I have a stoplock pro that I fit every time I leave the car for any length of time - the visual deterrent of knowing they have to get a decent steering wheel lock off will hopefully stop them smashing the window in the first instance. If I didn't use the car twice daily, I'd probably go for a full wheel steering lock cover.

Another, somewhat cheaper, OBD port protection system is that offered by AUTOCYB (autocyb.com) in the US. It's a key-locked dongle that fits over the OBD port, and physically prevents access to the port. I imagine that, if one were really determined, it would be possible to smash the device off the port, but that would destroy the port in the process.
+1 on the steering wheel lock.

The OBD protector does what it says. However, as it's a hidden anti-theft measure it won't discourage someone smashing their way in, to then try, and fail, to gain control using the OBD Port.

I would strongly recommend the Disklok solution as additional, visible, protection.

It can be a bit fiddly to fit/remove at first, but once your used to it, it becomes second nature. I don't park in public places without using it. :racer: