Keyless entry/start fob protection

ama

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick one, I'm new to the forum but will take delivery of a new vehicle next month.

Ahead of the delivery I'm just researching options for a faraday pouch/box (or similar) to place our key fob in overnight to reduce the chances of a "RFiD scanner/booster" style theft and wanted to get any thoughts from the members on what works for Audi's keyless system.

I've seen various faraday pouches for sale online (almost all have reviews saying they work for a period then stop) and others simply using metal tins (some lined with additional tin foil), also the classic "put it in the microwave" trick. I've heard of moving the OBD location (or removing the fuse) and there is always the option of a physical steering wheel lock but would hope to find a more elegant solution if possible.

If there is a simple secure set up that you have found to work for your car then any suggestions/experiences/thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanking you all in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Aaron

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick one, I'm new to the forum but will take delivery of a new vehicle next month.

Ahead of the delivery I'm just researching options for a faraday pouch/box (or similar) to place our key fob in overnight to reduce the chances of a "RFiD scanner/booster" style theft and wanted to get any thoughts from the members on what works for Audi's keyless system.

I've seen various faraday pouches for sale online (almost all have reviews saying they work for a period then stop) and others simply using metal tins (some lined with additional tin foil), also the classic "put it in the microwave" trick. I've heard of moving the OBD location (or removing the fuse) and there is always the option of a physical steering wheel lock but would hope to find a more elegant solution if possible.

If there is a simple secure set up that you have found to work for your car then any suggestions/experiences/thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanking you all in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Aaron

Think it all comes down to personal preferences. I was using the tin box wrapped in aluminium foil before buying Faraday pouch and both work absolutely fine. I have even tried wrapping the key fob of my B8.5 in aluminium foil and trying opening the car. It did unlock it on few occasions and it was down to how perfectly the key is wrapped.

If you have a look at the bow thread the user Muppet on tour has nailed it: you justhave to make you car less appealing to the scums by adding the deterrents that you can.

Vehicle thefts

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...p?threads/Vehicle-thefts.383703/&share_type=t

Think it all comes down to personal preferences. I was using the tin box wrapped in aluminium foil before buying Faraday pouch and both work absolutely fine. I have even tried wrapping the key fob of my B8.5 in aluminium foil and trying opening the car. It did unlock it on few occasions and it was down to how perfectly the key is wrapped.

If you have a look at the bow thread the user Muppet on tour has nailed it: you justhave to make you car less appealing to the scums by adding the deterrents that you can.

Vehicle thefts

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2376&share_tid=383703&url=https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/Vehicle-thefts.383703/&share_type=t

Hi Tashfeen,

Thanks for your quick reply and the thread link. As you say the more un-appealing you can make things look the better I guess, but I will definitely try a pouch/tin foil as well to stop the electronic attack too.

You'd have thought that for the few quid it would cost that Audi would really be supplying a faraday pouch with new cars as it is a well documented issue both in the UK and in mainland Europe too.

I guess I can only know for certain how well the signal blocking works on any set-up once I test it out on my vehicle when it arrives.

Again thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reactions: V6_Man
I guess I can only know for certain how well the signal blocking works on any set-up once I test it out on my vehicle when it arrives.
Yes do this, then periodically afterwards to confirm it is still working.
Remember to buy a pouch for each of your fobs, and ensure you place your fob inside the inner compartment.
The 2 that I bought on ebay for £4 each are still working almost 2 years later.

Yes do this, then periodically afterwards to confirm it is still working.
Remember to buy a pouch for each of your fobs, and ensure you place your fob inside the inner compartment.
The 2 that I bought on ebay for £4 each are still working almost 2 years later.

Thanks Ron240,

Will remember to check periodically and ensure both fobs are in the pouch/box
Good to know that your pouches are still going strong after 2 years - you've had more luck than others I read about.

Cheers

Aaron

20181108_205800.jpg

I was lucky enough to win one of these from a competition on the website. They are pricy but are also a very tough dual layer construction and fit both keys with ease so reduce the possibility of damaging whatever magic material is used to block the signal to practically zero, it would probably fit a third and still not be stressed. It has the added benefit of being large that I have yet to lose a single key with this car and that is a first for me.

They are sold and designed by a site sponsor along with the stop lock pro(Other retailers are available for things).

I use the key pouch to stop signal hijack from the key and a stop lock pro as a visual deterrent. Relocated OBD port, fuse removal and trying to get hold of another port to put in its place.

If they have failed to hijack a key signal, ground off the steering wheel lock and wondered why the ODB port doesn't work, found the new port and figured out why it still doesn't work. Once they have done all that they deserve to drive it away.

If they have failed to hijack a key signal, ground off the steering wheel lock and wondered why the ODB port doesn't work, found the new port and figured out why it still doesn't work. Once they have done all that they deserve to drive it away.

Where are the times you simple fit and hid a rocker switch cutting your ignition off, ehh?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

20181108_205800.jpg

I was lucky enough to win one of these from a competition on the website. They are pricy but are also a very tough dual layer construction and fit both keys with ease so reduce the possibility of damaging whatever magic material is used to block the signal to practically zero, it would probably fit a third and still not be stressed. It has the added benefit of being large that I have yet to lose a single key with this car and that is a first for me.

They are sold and designed by a site sponsor along with the stop lock pro(Other retailers are available for things).

I use the key pouch to stop signal hijack from the key and a stop lock pro as a visual deterrent. Relocated OBD port, fuse removal and trying to get hold of another port to put in its place.

Thanks MuPPeT, I think you're right they deserve a place in the thieves hall of fame

Will look into the Fob Stopper - as you say a couple of quid more than the ebay/amazon pouches but I like the idea of the magnetic seal rather than tearing the velcro and compromising the layers of the faraday cage in the process. Nice it fits 2 fobs as well

Thanks again for everyone's help & stories

Cheers

Aaron

Anyone know if Fob Stopper are doing any deals for members here? I have keyless entry coming on my A5 and wanted to be prepared!

Cheers

Just some links that @ama brought to my attention for ODB port options.

Just leaving the ODB port as is on these cars is not clever.

Dummy port, added advantage that it appears working and will delay a thief a bit longer.
(CLICKY)

Dummy port that appears working and a 2m extension to relocate a working port.
(CLICKY)

The reason to move, hide, burn, disable this port is obvious.