Keyfob range

Rideen

Reaction score
Hey all,

This has been bugging me for a while and I decided to make a thread about it to see if you guys know the solution to the following issue:

My keyfob has only like 0.5 meters (1.64 feet / 19.6 inches) of range. If I am any further away from the car, it will not lock or unlock the car whatsoever.

The batteries in the keyfob are new so that is not the issue. My mechanic told me it could be the car's receptor oxidation, but I don't know where that is located in the car so I can check out for any oxidation.

Anyone had a similar problem or know how to solve it?

Thanks.

I remember seeing something on Top Gear once and this does actually work albeit it's a bit weird.

Hold the key fob next to the side of your head while pressing the button.
You may look a bit weird, (try pretending that you are scratching your head or something).
It's something to do with the bone around your temple acting as an amplifier.

Whilst this probably wasn't the solution you were looking for it's free and involves no costly diagnostics. :)

Reactions: Jake 61, Blackwhite, Curley89 and 1 other person
does using the spare key produce the same results?

Spare key doesn't want to lock / unlock whatsoever, I tried syncing it, but that isn't working either unfortunately.

I remember seeing something on Top Gear once and this does actually work albeit it's a bit weird.

Hold the key fob next to the side of your head while pressing the button.
You may look a bit weird, (try pretending that you are scratching your head or something).
It's something to do with the bone around your temple acting as an amplifier.

Whilst this probably wasn't the solution you were looking for it's free and involves no costly diagnostics. :)

Hahaha, thanks mate! :D

Spare key doesn't want to lock / unlock whatsoever, I tried syncing it, but that isn't working either unfortunately.

Hahaha, thanks mate! :D

If your spare isn't working I'm guessing that both keys might need reprogramming to get them fully working again.

:think:I can vouch for the Top Gear fob to head thing , it really works , the body acts as a large arial

Well, I don't always have a chance to do such things (although it is helpful!), I need to find a proper solution. :D

Anyway, last night I actually had a dream where I was pushing the keyfob up my head and unlocking the car, funny stuff!