Key fob battery replacement

blackb9er

Reaction score
I'm getting a message when I start the car saying the battery in the key is running low.

Will Audi replace it for free whilst its still under warranty or do I have to do it myself?

Anyone replaced it themselves??

Last edited:
You will need to do it yourself, unless you wish to pay the dealership. The instructions are on page 40- in your manual...

CR2032, get a two-pack, swap the other key's cell too :)

Also, don't be tempted to buy them off eBay, etc, it's riddled with fakes. Get them from the supermarket battery stand to be sure.

Reactions: Marky007 and blackb9er
You will need to do it yourself, unless you wish to pay the dealership. The instructions are on page 40- in your manual...

You've read the manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tickedon
I read the manual before I even had the car, I make it a policy for most things I purchase that cost me a great deal of money. Why wouldn't you as then you become familiar with your new toy instead of wrecking it...

Reactions: A4B9, DGSdale, Filipão and 2 others
CR2032, get a two-pack, swap the other key's cell too :)

Also, don't be tempted to buy them off eBay, etc, it's riddled with fakes. Get them from the supermarket battery stand to be sure.

Thanks mate

Any idea how i get into the fob?

Page 40 pf the wonderful manual the manufacturers bothered to supply you with, it's worth a good read and you'll probably find your answer quicker than a reply here. It can also be downloaded from this forum as there are links in the header...

Replaced my battery today, about two years of use but I am not surprised as they do alot more than just unlock the doors these day...

Spooky..............

Mine has started throwing the same message over the weekend!

Reactions: cuke2u
Mine packed up after only six months of use. I'm in & out of the car many times a day but disappointed the battery didn't last longer. Huddersfield Audi changed it for less than a fiver so no complaints.

I also keep a spare sealed battery in the glove box. You never have to hunt them down in the kitchen drawer then....

Reactions: Richard46, DGSdale and cuke2u
I read the manual before I even had the car, I make it a policy for most things I purchase that cost me a great deal of money. Why wouldn't you as then you become familiar with your new toy instead of wrecking it...

Absolutely! +1

Reactions: DGSdale and cuke2u
I actually enjoy reading the manual, I do it with the wife's cars too. You often find some great nuggets of information that you otherwise have no idea about.

Reactions: DGSdale and cuke2u
Replaced my battery today, very easy.

Only lasted a year but guess it’s a busy little thing considering what the key does with keyless etc.

Reactions: V6_Man
I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. It was about to go on for its 2nd service and I thought I’ll let them sort it, but then I consulted the manual, took the fob apart and found that we happened to have a battery in a drawer so I did it. A bit fiddly but not difficult.

Reactions: Riko0073
Mine just died today put battery in from spare fob was fine so will replace them both

Replaced mine this week as well, it is about time Audi produced the technology within their fobs to turn off automatically after a certain period of no movement. Thus saving the battery but more importantly preventing relay attacks.
I know Ford have done this for their 2018 models, replacement fob is £65 but more recent cars come with them.
Mercedes also have this technology within their key fobs as well...

That and maybe a rechargeable battery so that you can use the wireless charger mat to juice it up when it runs low

Reactions: cuke2u