Key Battery Replacement

smk82

Reaction score
I know that replacement and recoding of a complete key costs quite a bit, but what about replacement of the key battery? My key went diving with me today in a friends undersuit (i.e. it didn't get wet, or subjected to much pressure - we were only at 3m all dive!), but now it won't remotely lock or open the car. It will however manually work the locks and the car starts/runs ok with it in the ignition, suggesting that the coding chip is ok. I wonder if it may be the battery (as when the suit compresses, it may have pushed all the buttons at once??). I have a spare key anyway, so not a complete disaster, but would like to get this sorted..

Just buy a new battery, pop the fob open and replace it. Don't see the problem?

It'll be a lithium cell battery - probably a CR2016 or CR2032 as they're the most common. just open up the fob to find out what type it is then you can get them online from places like Amazon or, if it's a common type, in supermarkets.

Thanks Vertigo - a quick google search and a battery swap and thankfully I'm back in business - no replacement key needed - the battery swap worked like a charm.. (phew!)