Kerbed Alloy and Tyre Advice

Kuljit Singh

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice please.

So unfortunately i kerbed my rear driver side alloy on a high raised kerb when driving out due to minimum space ahead.

In the incident, the alloy got kerbed badily, which was expected. However the problem is, a chunk of rubber came out from the side wall of the tyre. Luckily it didnt puncture or lose any air and car is driving fine.

Please check attached photos. Can someone please advice is the tyre would need changing now? Would it affect future MOT?

Its a 18" Continental with 6.5mil thread remaining on it. Was not planning to change rears anytime soon as both rears have good life left.

Is there any chance it can be repaired at any tyre place? I dont have the chunk unfortunately that came out.

I would appreciate any advice from my fellow A3 owners. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210703_190750.jpg
    20210703_190750.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 150
  • 20210703_190804.jpg
    20210703_190804.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Should be fine that keep an eye on it if it starts to get an egg like shape then change it but I doubt it will no metal cords showing I would use it until the MOT and change it then if needed

Reactions: Kuljit Singh
I have a knock out of mine on the front about half the size of that. Passed my MOT no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlucky.

No cords visible should be fine, just watch the tire if it does start too slowly lose air.

IMO, I’d change it but that’s my ocd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, didnt notice it lose any air this morning. My ocd kicked in at the end and got it changed with a used one. Only thing is both my rears are Continental Contisport 5 A01, the replacement tyre i got is the same size with similar thread life, and also a Continental Contisport 5 but it doesnt have the "A01" will that be a issue or make much difference?

Hi guys, need some advice please.

So unfortunately i kerbed my rear driver side alloy on a high raised kerb when driving out due to minimum space ahead.

In the incident, the alloy got kerbed badily, which was expected. However the problem is, a chunk of rubber came out from the side wall of the tyre. Luckily it didnt puncture or lose any air and car is driving fine.

Please check attached photos. Can someone please advice is the tyre would need changing now? Would it affect future MOT?

Its a 18" Continental with 6.5mil thread remaining on it. Was not planning to change rears anytime soon as both rears have good life left.

Is there any chance it can be repaired at any tyre place? I dont have the chunk unfortunately that came out.

I would appreciate any advice from my fellow A3 owners. Thanks in advance.
Get the damage checked by an expert not by people on a forum (no offence to people who have replied). Too late if it blows out at 70mph on a motorway!

Reactions: pburv, Phutters and Potterswheel
If you have any visible damage on the side wall of your tyre you should change it, its not just about holding air, the sidewall and particularly the bead area are very highly loaded and even more so with low profile tyres, this is why the sidewall is so stiff.
Think of a balloon and a pin, the explosion comes from a weak point made by the pin, and we all know what happens next!

Reactions: S32B
How weird - I did almost exactly the same thing a week ago, but to the offside front. My local garage (who also do my MOTs) said it was fine and would pass MOT - and they are very strict on everything.

Thanks for the reply, didnt notice it lose any air this morning. My ocd kicked in at the end and got it changed with a used one. Only thing is both my rears are Continental Contisport 5 A01, the replacement tyre i got is the same size with similar thread life, and also a Continental Contisport 5 but it doesnt have the "A01" will that be a issue or make much difference?

Only to the wear rate , they'll wear much faster.

Screenshot 20210706 175918 Chrome

Reactions: Potterswheel and pburv