kenwood cd/mp3 head unit playing up!!

rockstar

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Anybody any ideas...? its about 2 years old and starting to break up on a regular'ish basis when im playing mps and normal cds...my feeling is it may just need cleaning? but how can i do that (laser im guessing!)

or do i need to invest in a spangly new one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can buy a lens cleaner CD, or you can strip it down and stick in a cotton bud with some lighter fluid on it.
Is it breaking up or skipping?

hi most of the time its breaking up....sometimes it jumps usually wheni go over a pot hole or summit! never used to do anything but play no probs!

the lence cleaner item you mention,had sommit like this for a midi in the house,loked like a blank cd with eyelashes stuck on it! is this what you mean? not sure it would feed into the head unit in the car...as for taking it apart,,is it easy dont fancy f*cking it up completely!

cheers

Sorry I was thinking of an autochanger, when talking about taking it apart. Yes the lens cleaner is as you describe. Never tried one on a HU though. Does it play OK on original CD's (not CDR's)? I had some issues when I changed my CDR brand, used to use TDK (designed for music) then went for a cheaper generic brand. All the issues I've experienced have been CD's not reading at all, rather than skipping or breaking up, but I guess an MP3 player won't be as fussy as it is designed to be used with CDR's. I'd try the cleaner, can't hurt.