Keep smashing sumps?

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Hi all, just saw that a pal of mine has invested in a battle ready sump, looks like a sturdy sump to me. Any of you guys fitted one?
bf00c2b7.jpg

Probably too low. Nah haven't had one myself. I think you'll be better of with a metal undertray as it will protect more than just the sump

Probably too low. Nah haven't had one myself. I think you'll be better of with a metal undertray as it will protect more than just the sump

What your cars too low for this to fit without scraping? And yeh iv seen the galvanise under tray. Just looks an easier option.

Baffled sumps with thick plates welded on have been around for ages... Bill runs one on his race car... no need to weld all the way around like that though...

<tuffty/>

Baffled sumps with thick plates welded on have been around for ages... Bill runs one on his race car... no need to weld all the way around like that though...

<tuffty/>

Abit of over kill i take it? Just thought its a good option for those with very low setups.

or get a shallow sump. ECS made one . but it has no hole for oil level sensor. it still works fine on my a3 (apart the orange oil level warning on dash)
425020_3414908932490_1263060614_33407267_2147139654_n.jpg

Abit of over kill i take it? Just thought its a good option for those with very low setups.

Not really... does depend on how low the car is and various other subjective odds and sods... I have seen quite a few sumps that have been scraped at the oil drain bung area and some on cars that aren't that low...

Needs the plate to be across the whole sump though... pic below is for a sump without the oil sensor but the sensor ones come cut out..
DSC00014.jpg

<tuffty/>

or get a shallow sump. ECS made one . but it has no hole for oil level sensor. it still works fine on my a3 (apart the orange oil level warning on dash)

...so.... doesn't really work fine then ;P lol...

Not a fan of shallow sumps as it reduces the amount of oil available to the engine... its not so much that its shallow either but the steel bottom part of the sump will resist knocks better than the cast aluminium of std sumps... you could get a larger capacity oil filter or an oil cooler I guess... not sure how well oil temps will hold up with less oil and a steel sump...

1.8 20v sumps are low even before lowering the car... just need to be a bit more mindful of speed bumps and stuff in the road :(

<tuffty/>

Its not that drasticly smaler,it has something like a reinforced bottom (try to find some pics) and yes a I do have a aftermarket oil filter btw :D I already have it for a year and cant realy complain its realy just the oil level warning message on the screen due to the sensor not being in there.

At the end of the day, most of us a pretty low. Some lower than others. If you drive carefully and aware of what will fit under your car from what won't, I think you'll be fine

The only places where I have been caught out numerous times is little county backlanes that are too enticing to not have some fun round when you all of a sudden come to a small length where either side of the lane has subsided leaving a nice mound in the middle which makes you ******** tighten when you all of a sudden see it and realise that you can't slow down enough or avoid it so grit your teeth and hope she survives ;)

I dont see how beefing up the lower surface like that is going to help much.

All you'll do is split it elsewhere.

One of those metal skidplates is probably the way to go, and if that scrapes then your too ****** low.

if you're doing sumps in then you need to be more careful I say!

my daily is VERY low, and I've not done a sump on that yet, or even scraped it, it's all about being mindful of your setup and driving accordingly.

It does however get annoying having to go at walking pace down some lanes, and a strange part of me is looking forward to getting a company car that I can bomb about anywhere in!

The title of the thread was a question, i agree with the careful driving, but i take it that most live in the sticks, inner city is a nightmare, if its not sleepin bobbys then its huge pot holes. Iv never smashed a sump, but iv never gone that low. So wev established not many people smash there sumps, and those that do are probably clots :D