Keep SEAT Leon Cupra 290 or upgrade to Audi S3 or even Golf R

AudiBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys I have crossed the 3 year point of owning my SEAT Leon Cupra 290. Overall its been good to me and a very fun car with pretty loud DSG farts :D. The main drawback is of course traction in the wet or on cold days and of course mediocre build quality. I purchased the car new (fully loaded with upgraded alloys, DCC, pan sunroof, rear view camera, SEAT sound, ACC + lane assist) on PCP back in 2016 for £400 per month. Zero deposit on a 0% APR deal. Balloon payment due in September 2019 of £11k which I could bank loan for around £280 per month with 3-4% APR. Total price of the car was about £28k with around 17% discount via drive the deal

I have test driven the S3 and obviously its a good car and would give me more usable power but it won't necessarily be more fun to drive particularly on the dry days. I am thinking the grass might not be greener...

What would you guys do in my position? In your opinion would upgrading and specing similar options be worth it considering I will be losing the £14k that I have already paid into the Cupra?. Would the Golf R give me the fun and the traction I am looking for as oppose to the S3?

Any advice/insight would be help me greatly as I really do not know what to do....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
Well my Good-Man,

We have a new Golf R (Wife's) and I also have for me on order the 2019 RS3.

I can say the Golf R at it's price point is hard to beat for sure.
Great Fuel-Economy if that's anything you care about.
I'm not referring to City, Stop-light to Stop-Light I'm talking about using the cruise on the interstate traveling ^^^.
It's a pretty darn Quick car especially if in Race-Mode.
Has the adjustable suspension etc. just like the RS3.
In-Fact just think of the Golf R as a Little-Brother to the RS3 and that really says it all.
And of course (Thousands) of dollars less cost.

Below are pictures of (Wife's) new Gold R when we picked it up.
I have nothing at all to say about it in the regards of anything negative.
Zero issues ...........

My 2019 RS3 MSRP ..... $65,490.00 US Dollars
Wife's Golf R MSRP ..... $41,615.00 US Dollars

So you can see there is a MAJOR Cost difference between them of ..... $23,875.00

Terry

Reactions: Ron240, Jcbmally and JimmyMcGee
I can't comment on the Cupra but I'd say on pure financial that would be the best move, you wouldn't get better monthly payments without a significant deposit.

Car wise I test drove the golf R and found the interior lacking, I absolutely loved the S3. Great all round car for performance and economy when needed, hard to fault. People have been getting decent discounts on new S3s at the moment due to it being an "old model" so that would work if your heart is set on changing.

Definitely give them both a test drive and look.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hey guys I have crossed the 3 year point of owning my SEAT Leon Cupra 290. Overall its been good to me and a very fun car with pretty loud DSG farts :D. The main drawback is of course traction in the wet or on cold days and of course mediocre build quality. I purchased the car new (fully loaded with upgraded alloys, DCC, pan sunroof, rear view camera, SEAT sound, ACC + lane assist) on PCP back in 2016 for £400 per month. Zero deposit on a 0% APR deal. Balloon payment due in September 2019 of £11k which I could bank loan for around £280 per month with 3-4% APR. Total price of the car was about £28k with around 17% discount via drive the deal

I have test driven the S3 and obviously its a good car and would give me more usable power but it won't necessarily be more fun to drive particularly on the dry days. I am thinking the grass might not be greener...

What would you guys do in my position? In your opinion would upgrading and specing similar options be worth it considering I will be losing the £14k that I have already paid into the Cupra?. Would the Golf R give me the fun and the traction I am looking for as oppose to the S3?

Any advice/insight would be help me greatly as I really do not know what to do....

In our case we really-really like & enjoy the Golf R interior.
It's NOT an Audi that's for sure but like I posted it's $24,000.00 US dollars less.

Let's be honest it usually comes down to one's BUDGET really.

Terry

Reactions: TYb and T-800
If the Cupra has been reliable and you have treated it respectfully I would stay put (for both financial and entertainment reasons).

Audi/Golf aren't fun per se due to their absolute traction (until the haldex goes wrong) but they are absolutely effective.
The Cupra will be more fun but you will have less opportunity to drive quickly/safely in less than ideal conditions, few cars I have ever driven combine poor weather and speed with such efficiency. When my haldex broke I quickly found out how much you take it for granted and how Audi clearly engineer the car as an awd car cause it was pants in 2wd.

Balloon payment due in September 2019 of £11k which I could bank loan for around £280 per month with 3-4% APR.
With the new A3/S3 out soon I'd buy what you have now and just extend the warranty! One of the guys on here went from an S4 to the Cupra and he is more than happy and has no regrets. I myself have been looking at the Cupra deals, Warrington Seat are doing one now for £300 down and £300 per month....bargain.

Out of interest what mileage has your car got and how much do you want if you do sell it? I know someone who is after a decent used car!

@Jcbmally - Didn't want to jump right in, but I've been very surprised how good my Cupra is. Its not perfect (but is ever anything in life) but I have been surprised & for the money well ...
Like @AudiBoss says the main issue with is is traction, or lack of it. However the trade off is this thing is seriously rapid :superman:
Having spoken with other Cupra 300 owners, the DSG version seems to be a bit underwhelming for some reason
Not many 300's about & even less manual GB's it would seem
Plenty of Cupra PCH'ers are getting offered their cars at knockdown prices by VWFS at the end of the lease for around £15k'ish
I won't be keeping mine but my son may well be interested ...

My thoughts on my Cupra are here -
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-mystery-blue-mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door.340323/

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally
Have you considered a GTI or the hybrid GTE?

Have you considered a GTI or the hybrid GTE?

No because they would both be a downgrade to my Cupra 290. I want something that is significantly better for similar money. I am starting to realise that may not exist yet....

There is no comparison between a 4wd and a fwd both with 300hp in the wet and even on dry roads. The Golf R is a great bang for the money but for looks and interior quality the saloon S3 was my choice. I am not a hatchback fan on the looks department but it is more practical.

Reactions: Ron240 and Jassyo06
No because they would both be a downgrade to my Cupra 290. I want something that is significantly better for similar money. I am starting to realise that may not exist yet....

A Golf GTI is not a downgrade on any car.

I’m more of the opinion that if you moved to a GTI from a Cupra it would be an upgrade.

The golf interior alone is far superior than any SEAT.

I’m more of the opinion that if you moved to a GTI from a Cupra it would be an upgrade.

I think he may be referring to the power (I could be wrong!), he has 290bhp now, the GTi doesn't.... :)

Reactions: Goner

My Cupra has the same engine, turbocharger, chassis and gearbox as a Golf R and Audi S3 except mine comes with more options as standard for example DCC, privacy glass, folding mirrors, red brake calipers, full LED's etc etc. My car is also more expensive than a Golf GTI. So with all that being known to you now, on reflection would you still say a Golf GTI is still an upgrade on the Cupra 290 based on a superior interior?

Reactions: davc
I’d take a cupra every day over a Gti. I would however take a golf r or s3 over a cupra

My Cupra has the same engine, turbocharger, chassis and gearbox as a Golf R and Audi S3 except mine comes with more options as standard for example DCC, privacy glass, folding mirrors, red brake calipers, full LED's etc etc. My car is also more expensive than a Golf GTI. So with all that being known to you now, on reflection would you still say a Golf GTI is still an upgrade on the Cupra 290 based on a superior interior?

290 vs 242hp yes the cupra wins, however to me the GTI looks better, interior is far superior and you can get all that jazz on a GTI so again for me i would prefer a GTI as the power difference wouldn't make me want to sit in a drab hard plastic ridden interior for the duration of a 2 or 3 year lease.

However, for the price you are paying you do get a lot of car for your £££, i admit.