Keep or Sell ?

himself26

Reaction score
If this isnt allowed here i apologise & will move to correct place.

I have a love hate relationship with my S3 i.e. I love Her but feel She hates me hense the reason i named Her Eleanor :)

Anyway sinse buying her just over a year ago i've spent a small fortune on parts to get her to where She is now. Including a new turbo / new oil pump/ new quality cam belt kit (inc water pump) new Cylinder head / new brakes all round / new bottom arms & ball joints & the list goes on.
I've done All of the work myself so i know it's been done properly.

She isnt concourse & does want bits looking at but is a very straight / clean good example of this Iconic Sports Car & would take not a lot of time money or efford to make pristine ?

So here's my dilema !!!!!
I fancy something a little newer & less temprimental but know from experience of selling my Sierra RS Cosworth / Audi UR Quattro / Series III RS Turbo etc. That this type of car will only ever go up in value !!!

So do i sell Her or Store Her ?

Attachments

• Eleanor.jpg
    Eleanor.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
Reactions: MPH
P.S. I have reciept's for just about everything i've bought for the Byatch & replaced the bottom end shell's whilst the head was off. Bores & rings were sound but i've misplaced the reciept for the crank & main shell's :( if i find them champion. If i dont it's your call but you'd know when listening to the 20v it's sweeeeeet as malasis..... :)

Personally I don’t see them going up that much, maybe a few £k, how much is storage going to cost you, you’d need to keep it for another 10 tens to see and major increases I think

I have a love hate relationship with my S3 i.e. I love Her but feel She hates me hense the reason i named Her Eleanor :)

Anyway sinse buying her just over a year ago i've spent a small fortune on parts to get her to where She is now. Including a new turbo / new oil pump/ new quality cam belt kit (inc water pump) new Cylinder head / new brakes all round / new bottom arms & ball joints & the list goes on.

She isnt concourse & does want bits looking at but is a very straight / clean good example of this Iconic Sports Car & would take not a lot of time money or efford to make pristine ?

I fancy something a little newer & less temprimental but know from experience of selling my Sierra RS Cosworth / Audi UR Quattro / Series III RS Turbo etc. That this type of car will only ever go up in value !!!

Keep Eleanor it's a love it or Hate It Marmite situation

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Personally I don’t see them going up that much, maybe a few £k, how much is storage going to cost you, you’d need to keep it for another 10 tens to see and major increases I think

m8 i sold my cossie 5yrs ago for 8k try & buy a decent one now for less than £20k ;) I can see these car's being well over £7k for a half decent one in the next couple of years. However if you right (which i seriously doubt ??? ) i'm gutted as i've just gave ove a grand for a XR2i as my next toy which will be worth £3.86 after i've spent a years worth of time & money on it :(

Last edited:
Reactions: MPH
I know that but it’s not like it’s an rs3, the 8l was always 2nd best in the vag range to the r32 and that holds a premium,personally I won’t be selling mine for years to come but that’s not because I see it a money maker if storage is free store it but I’d at least do 500+ miles a year in it to keep everything ticking over

I know that but it’s not like it’s an rs3, the 8l was always 2nd best in the vag range to the r32 and that holds a premium,personally I won’t be selling mine for years to come but that’s not because I see it a money maker if storage is free store it but I’d at least do 500+ miles a year in it to keep everything ticking over

Creased......... If it was a RS3 it would be £40k plus m8 & not contenplating seling ;) The R32 is a Spec Golf the engine is the basic 3.2L v6 N/A s3 lump yeah 250bhp out the box but to be honest Soft as sh1t in comparison to the 20v BAM Motor ;) Anyway mine is in the classified section now m8. It's a good straight HPI Clear Genuine S3 Quattro with shed loadsa new parts ;)

Obviously, ( rs3 8p for around £20k now) my point is the rs models will hold their money all day long and always be sought after, a 8l s3 Won’t hence why you can get them For 2k,the bam engine is nothing special and in standard form is slow for what it is as it’s a heavy car

Obviously, ( rs3 8p for around £20k now) my point is the rs models will hold their money all day long and always be sought after, a 8l s3 Won’t hence why you can get them For 2k,the bam engine is nothing special and in standard form is slow for what it is as it’s a heavy car

and the old Ford Rs2000 MK2 was a pig to drive (no power steering), engine nothing special and slow in comparison these days, add now lots of rust all around it and you have a £20K motor.

dare I even mention the MK1's

Last edited:
Initially, if these do begin to go go up in value it will be the truly original low mileage examples.

Sell it. Life is too short to not try other cars.

The 8L S3 is never going to be worth much. They have no motorsport heiritage, were not groundbreaking when released, and were never known for being a particularly good drivers car.

Yes we all like them, myself included but don’t have visions of an early retirement on its future value.

When you can pick up 8P S3’s for £6000, anyone paying over £4500 for a standard 8L needs their head looking at IMO.

Reactions: ADs3 and Tj 0785
Personally, over my 10+ years of ownership I have not felt the need to want to change it. I've not spent hours of work (as most have done) on my car, but I still have that great feeling every time I get in and drive it.
Don't get me wrong I have driven many other various cars, from a the WV Up to the more recent and new Golf R - yes very nice - but I still would not want any of them. I've tried an M3 BMW and I really could not drive it mundanely and found I was always putting my foot down like a lunatic - I simply could not drive it 'normally'.

Just call me weird and need my head examined...?

Reactions: JOSE8LT
I really like the S3 but think i'm getting board more than anything this has been the case with many of my car's :( However i do know these things will go up in value as they're becoming quite sort after now. Clean examples are already getting harder to find. The last Audi Quattro i had was also a Silver Pig & a money pit. I was glad to see the back of it for a couple of grand but it was a 2.1L 10v UR Quattro what do they sell for now ???

I really like the S3 but think i'm getting board more than anything this has been the case with many of my car's :( However i do know these things will go up in value as they're becoming quite sort after now. Clean examples are already getting harder to find. The last Audi Quattro i had was also a Silver Pig & a money pit. I was glad to see the back of it for a couple of grand but it was a 2.1L 10v UR Quattro what do they sell for now ???

hi how much is the s3 8l car for sale out of interest thankyou.

I made the change from a 2001 8L S3 to a 2011 RS3 back in 2011 and still have a slight regret:

S3 0802

A great car the 8L S3, think hard, a difficult decision...

Reactions: hydro s3, Alex C and MPH
Never regretted getting rid of a car more than my S3 8L..
still look at them now and think about buying another as a second weekend car all the time.

Reactions: 45bvtc

its virtualyl worthless these days... in 20 years+ maybe not so much.
you playing long game or short game?

Reactions: Tj 0785
I made the change from a 2001 8L S3 to a 2011 RS3 back in 2011 and still have a slight regret:

A great car the 8L S3, think hard, a difficult decision...

Out of interest how come you have slight regrets both cars do look good, I like both of your cars old and new your s3 8l looks really nice thanks for sharing the pictures of them.

Out of interest how come you have slight regrets both cars do look good, I like both of your cars old and new your s3 8l looks really nice thanks for sharing the pictures of them.

Our S3 was mega, couldn't fault the car, was a keeper for sure; and then Stafford Audi had an RS3 demonstrator, and here'w what happened next:

"Monday 10th October 2011: I took my S3 in at Stafford Audi for a new clutch. The clutch was slipping, due to having the car re-mapped from 225bhp to 285 and it was starting to annoy me. I also wanted my armrest replaced, as it would slip ever once in a while.

Wednesday 12th October 2011: We go to pick the car up; Stafford Audi had an Audi RS3 demonstrator. The RS3 was not unknown to me as I'd retained several magazine articles of the car. So off for a test drive we went. 25-miles later and I'm thinking the S3 was for sale. Drove the S3 home and we knew we wanted an RS3.

Thursday 13th October 2011: Telephone call to Stafford Audi and asked "can we order an RS3." No, all sold. Best you can do is find one as near to your specification as you can.

3-hours later, found a grey and a blue RS3. The blue car at DK Engineering was very close to what we'd have ordered, but it was blue. The spec of the grey one was not what we'd have ordered though we preferred the colour.

Friday 14th October 2011: Telephoned DK Engineering and was told that the car was already SOLD but that no deposit received. So, not sold! Late afternoon DK Eng telephoned to say "still no deposit received." "What time do you open tomorrow" say I.

Saturday 15th October 2011: At DK Engineering an hour before opening and within 5-minutes of seeing the car we'd agreed a price and I was paying the deposit; didn't bother to sit in it, start it, drive it even; the deposit was paid and collection agreed for the next Saturday.

And I still have it..."

And I was sooo tempted to buy the S3 back earlier this year:

P1010258

But to be honest, the 8P RS3 just is, so much more!

20190103 134403

The 185bhp A1 was a cracker, too - now swapped for an SQ5!

Last edited:
Our S3 was mega, couldn't fault the car, was a keeper for sure; and then Stafford Audi had an RS3 demonstrator, and here'w what happened next:

"Monday 10th October 2011: I took my S3 in at Stafford Audi for a new clutch. The clutch was slipping, due to having the car re-mapped from 225bhp to 285 and it was starting to annoy me. I also wanted my armrest replaced, as it would slip ever once in a while.

Wednesday 12th October 2011: We go to pick the car up; Stafford Audi had an Audi RS3 demonstrator. The RS3 was not unknown to me as I'd retained several magazine articles of the car. So off for a test drive we went. 25-miles later and I'm thinking the S3 was for sale. Drove the S3 home and we knew we wanted an RS3.

Thursday 13th October 2011: Telephone call to Stafford Audi and asked "can we order an RS3." No, all sold. Best you can do is find one as near to your specification as you can.

3-hours later, found a grey and a blue RS3. The blue car at DK Engineering was very close to what we'd have ordered, but it was blue. The spec of the grey one was not what we'd have ordered though we preferred the colour.

Friday 14th October 2011: Telephoned DK Engineering and was told that the car was already SOLD but that no deposit received. So, not sold! Late afternoon DK Eng telephoned to say "still no deposit received." "What time do you open tomorrow" say I.

Saturday 15th October 2011: At DK Engineering an hour before opening and within 5-minutes of seeing the car we'd agreed a price and I was paying the deposit; didn't bother to sit in it, start it, drive it even; the deposit was paid and collection agreed for the next Saturday.

And I still have it..."

And I was sooo tempted to buy the S3 back earlier this year:

View attachment 192127

But to be honest, the 8P RS3 just is, so much more!

View attachment 192128

The 185bhp A1 was a cracker, too - now swapped for an SQ5!

sounds really interesting how much did you end up selling the s3 for and is it still about for sale I have seen a lot of these for sale but quite a few of them not sell looked after yours looks really well I once seen an orange one which was a nice colour just needed car too much work doing to it to buy it at advertised price.

sounds really interesting how much did you end up selling the s3 for and is it still about for sale I have seen a lot of these for sale but quite a few of them not sell looked after yours looks really well I once seen an orange one which was a nice colour just needed car too much work doing to it to buy it at advertised price.

We purchased ours in 2006 @£12k and 50k miles; sold in 2011 for £8k and 62k miles; was sold to a dealer (do NOT ask...) recently and advertised/sold for £7k and 77k miles - and advertised here on ASN too @ sub £5k, a cracking, faultless, Audi 8L S3:

S3 the George 1

If only Audi had put the 2,5 litre straight-5 and 7-speed DSG in this!

Hey ho, there you go; since 2011 we've had to endure a Cornflower blue Audi RS3 instead, tsk:

TZ10 275

Last edited:
We purchased ours in 2006 @£12k and 50k miles; sold in 2011 for £8k and 62k miles; was sold to a dealer (do NOT ask...) recently and advertised/sold for £7k and 77k miles - and advertised here on ASN too @ sub £5k, a cracking, faultless, Audi 8L S3:

View attachment 192145

Hey ho, there you go; since 2011 we've had to endure a Cornflower blue Audi RS3 instead, tsk:

View attachment 192146
How much was these Audi s3 8l bam cars brand new when they came out then I like these also yeah I agree would be better if they put the 2.5 in that first lol I am looking for one of these although I find it hard work as I don't have lots of money like yourself to buy fancy cars lol I seen some for sale around £1080-£1850 to £5000 for standard ones but then the ones lower price need a lot of world of welding or new engine and stuff like that worst case or there hours away lol wish I could find one what doesn't cost to much to start with even if it needs a little work.

How much was these Audi s3 8l bam cars brand new when they came out then I like these also yeah I agree would be better if they put the 2.5 in that first lol I am looking for one of these although I find it hard work as I don't have lots of money like yourself to buy fancy cars lol I seen some for sale around £1080-£1850 to £5000 for standard ones but then the ones lower price need a lot of world of welding or new engine and stuff like that worst case or there hours away lol wish I could find one what doesn't cost to much to start with even if it needs a little work.

S3 basic in May 199 @ £27,149 includes delivery, number plates, road tax, registration fee

re "I don't have lots of money like yourself to buy fancy cars lol "

Now that IS funny...
6349.gif
with me starting off on the coal face an' all - long time ago mind.

Its doable and was on my list but the engine/gearbox combo is so insanely over priced second hand thats its typically cheaper to big turbo the 1.8t... or do as I have and fit a 3.2 vr6 :)

The 8L (mk4 chassis in general) is not the best handling chassis out there but can be made to be pretty good... Gary Prebble in the Castle Combe Saloons race series in his LCR is testament to that as is our own @Prawn and his A3 8L...

The 8L S3 out the box is not a particularly exciting car to drive but for me at least its the looks and how DIY'able it is... I am a die hard modder (I'll mod just about anything if it can be modded and sometime even if it can't be!) so for me the 8L is perfect...

I love its looks and the 8L S3 is the last of the 'S' cars to get the flared arches as thats now the realm of the 'RS' cars... 8p and on S3's just look like S-Line's for the most part... no character like the 8L... and (sorry @45bvtc ) the sportbacks do absolutely nothing for me at all... the RS3 Saloon however! ;)

People will buy cars because they need a 'car' and then move on to the next 'car' be it a Nissan Micra or something sporty from the sporty range but there will always be people that overlook the short comings of a car as they have a passion for it... I have owned my S3 for over 10 years and she has given me a right roller coaster of a ride on the way... sure there are 'better' cars out there (the 8P and on chassis is far superior handling wise for example) but for me they don't have the character of the 8L S3 nor are they as easy to tinker with...

I have a few of the later car mod cons in my 8L (RNS-E, MFSW, Colour MFA etc) but still have the classic shape and presence of the 8L...

My other car is an A2... this is also a bit of a marmite car but I love its quirkiness plus its cheap to run and can happily cart parts about (like a gearbox) for the S3 when I need it too lol... I am just not a new car person I guess :)

<tuffty/>

My other car is an A2... this is also a bit of a marmite car but I love its quirkiness plus its cheap to run and can happily cart parts about (like a gearbox) for the S3 when I need it too lol... I am just not a new car person I guess :)
<tuffty/>

Steady tuffty; 55-years of motoring, 19-cars, and only '3' were new (1) a 1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam (2) an MG Metro Turbo (kept for 17-years), and (3) the RS3: so for sure I am not "a new car person" lol.

Two cars were purchased needing a 'complete' rebuild, one a Lotus Élan Sprint was kept for 37-years and near paid for the RS3.

Oh, and our recent SQ5 purchase is 3-years old...

And I agree 100% with the A2; we've had two, a 1.6fsi and a 90bhp Tdi:

A2 2 P1030411

I'll PM you as I've lots of tech info for the A2 -petrol, diesel, Storm, original build pics, etc...

PS: and the 17 x 7.5J ET36 rims (refurbished with near new 'quality' tyres) are still here in Staffs, let me know if they're of interest to you and I'll get a price.

PM sent... :readit:

Last edited:
Reactions: <tuffty/>
S3 basic in May 199 @ £27,149 includes delivery, number plates, road tax, registration fee

re "I don't have lots of money like yourself to buy fancy cars lol "

Now that IS funny...
6349.gif
with me starting off on the coal face an' all - long time ago mind.

Quite a wedge of money then for that many years ago and maybe but what kind of job these days pays enough to (feed) the fuel in an rs3 and insure it lol oh and tax never mind the s3 8l I like audi s3 8l, rs3, rs3 saloon , rs4, rs5, rs6 on and as a play toy an Audi r8 would be nice as well lol. So I would need a big garage if I stored all them on and the purchase price of the rs3 as well lol one day I might be able to afford one lol.

Hi everyone out of interest what kind of job do you need to be able to afford to buy and run an rs3 insurance etc.... And pay for it if you didn't have enough to buy straight up or save for it? Thanks. I'm just guessing that the average 9-5 might not give enough to enable some to afford to buy one.

Hi everyone out of interest what kind of job do you need to be able to afford to buy and run an rs3 insurance etc.... And pay for it if you didn't have enough to buy straight up or save for it? Thanks. I'm just guessing that the average 9-5 might not give enough to enable some to afford to buy one.

I was 08.30 to 17.00 (designer draughtsman and with a pencil and eraser, drawing board and sliderule in them days) and as much overtime as I could get till the age of 40 Mick and that with a 17.5% mortgage and a side line maintaining cars for others - but that was 34-years ago. And my 45bvtc (Lotus Élan Sprint (type 45 with a big valve twin cam)) that I restored from near-scrap and carried us over 200k miles in over 37-years of our ownership (and still returns home for TLC) near paid for our RS3 - happy days...

P1010970MA29954344 0010

You just gotta find your way to achieve your goals, may not be easy but it can be done... :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mick-s3
More about disposable income and what’s going out n what’s coming in. People can manage it on 30k a year living with mum and dad,some people won’t manage to do it on 50k with mortgages, kids, holidays and so on, I work an extra 10-20hours a week and that pays for my 10k family holiday to Florida every year

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3, Mick-s3 and 45bvtc
I was 08.30 to 17.00 (designer draughtsman and with a pencil and eraser, drawing board and sliderule in them days) and as much overtime as I could get till the age of 40 Mick and that with a 17.5% mortgage and a side line maintaining cars for others - but that was 34-years ago. And my 45bvtc (Lotus Élan Sprint (type 45 with a big valve twin cam)) that I restored from near-scrap and carried us over 200k miles in over 37-years of our ownership (and still returns home for TLC) near paid for our RS3 - happy days...
You just gotta find your way to achieve your goals, may not be easy but it can be done... :yes:

Loving that quote You just gotta find your way to achieve your goals, may not be easy but it can be done... :yes:
Sounds good though what you said. Thanks

More about disposable income and what’s going out n what’s coming in. People can manage it on 30k a year living with mum and dad,some people won’t manage to do it on 50k with mortgages, kids, holidays and so on, I work an extra 10-20hours a week and that pays for my 10k family holiday to Florida every year

Thanks for the response that's really good always wanted to go there also thanks for advice and yeah probably some people may not do it with 50k with that out goings thanks

Thanks for the response that's really good always wanted to go there also thanks for advice and yeah probably some people may not do it with 50k with that out goings thanks
I love the place going for 3 weeks next time for my daughters 5th birthday, and it will be a RS4 for me and my s3 8l 3.2 turbo all sorted by this time next year

I love the place going for 3 weeks next time for my daughters 5th birthday, and it will be a RS4 for me and my s3 8l 3.2 turbo all sorted by this time next year
Nice one is that the 4.2 v8 rs4 I think it that's correct what year one I love the sound of all the rs range lol

Same as, Probably be a b8 model but I prefer the b7’s exterior it will be one of them two or the c63 if it wasn’t going to be my daily driver I’d get the b5 rs4 but would mean keeping the r32 which I wouldn’t have the space to do

Same as, Probably be a b8 model but I prefer the b7’s exterior it will be one of them two or the c63 if it wasn’t going to be my daily driver I’d get the b5 rs4 but would mean keeping the r32 which I wouldn’t have the space to do

I'm not sure what the difference in the b8 and b7 models lol or b5, what you have an r32 already nice one, yeah I love the c63 wit woo lol the sound of the 6.3litre one of them the proper one lol, question for you if you know or anyone does Audi rs3 restriction removed 174mph top speed what's the rs4 then with a bigger engine and what's the c63 then with a bigger engine than rs3 or rs4 thanks always wondered as there limited to 155mph but Audi offer dynamic package.

Don’t know but I’d be bottling it before 150 anyway

Well yeah maybe but I don't get why the restriction when it's fast as is lol heard of an m5 apparently doing 200mph that would be hair raising lol