Kayobong’s Detailing Log

Pucker Job...really.....mate...Not the most rewarding paint colour to detail...but you done well some nice reflections

I was quite impressed how it turned out considering I didn't polish it at all. But it's a bit of a weird colour, it is metallic, but it's quite brown and certainly not the nicest of colours which Audi have done. I appreciate the kind words mate, detailing has one hell of learning curve, there's so many aspects to it, I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I wouldn't have got this far without all the great advice from the members on here.

Reactions: A4A4, Scotty75, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I was quite impressed how it turned out considering I didn't polish it at all. But it's a bit of a weird colour, it is metallic, but it's quite brown and certainly not the nicest of colours which Audi have done. I appreciate the kind words mate, detailing has one hell of learning curve, there's so many aspects to it, I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I wouldn't have got this far without all the great advice from the members on here.
Scratched the surface. Ha ha ha
Great job on your dads car.

Reactions: A4A4, Scotty75, NevMan and 1 other person
Sonax

I'm so glad I picked up this Sonax polish, it's great stuff, I'm still getting the hang of the DA but I'm relatively happy with the results. Anyway here's a picture of the finished passengers side. I couldn't be ***** to finish off the driver side but fortunately the swirls were not as bad on that side anyway. This will probably be the last proper detail I do on this car, hopefully my next car will be just as, if not more rewarding to detail!

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06, Scotty75 and 1 other person
View attachment 189263

I'm so glad I picked up this Sonax polish, it's great stuff, I'm still getting the hang of the DA but I'm relatively happy with the results. Anyway here's a picture of the finished passengers side. I couldn't be ***** to finish off the driver side but fortunately the swirls were not as bad on that side anyway. This will probably be the last proper detail I do on this car, hopefully my next car will be just as, if not more rewarding to detail!

Beautiful finish Dual action polishing apprenticeship at a end me thinks

Reactions: Kayobong
Thanks mate. I'm still pretty clueless to be honest

pictures paint a thousand words mate....l still strive for that Perfect Money Shot finish....never really 100% content....diminishing returns

Reactions: NevMan and Kayobong
Unfortunately this isn't any more DA action on my A3 as it's back at the mechanic :sob:. However I've given my Dad yet another free detail (so generous I know). As I've been using the car it's nice to keep it looking good as it was absolutely filthy. It does have some nice new Goodyear shoes though, which helped the overall appearance somewhat as they looked good with dressing applied. Also I learned the colour is Dakota Grey. I didn't realise Audi were allowed to change the colour spectrum as it's quite clearly more brown.
I did spend a LOT of time cleaning the engine bay with some degreaser and brushes. But other than that it was just the usual routine, snowfoam, two bucket wash, and dry. I did test out some Meguiars Mirror Bright wheel cleaner, which I quite like dispite the smell of it. Will decontaminate and polish the car at some point as I feel the paint would come up quite well.

IMG 2454
IMG 2452
IMG 2462
IMG 2463
IMG 2461
IMG 2464

Last edited:
The A3 has gone off to it's new owner, will hopefully be able to continue this thread this weekend with my next car.
IMG 2664

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Some pics of the new car, it's absolutely filthy inside and out. Come the weekend hopefully i'll have some better pictures and cleaner ones too! Spec wise it's a MK6 GTI DSG, on a mere 40k miles, completely stock, has lots of options including full leather interior, satnav, rear LED's, and plenty more I've forgotten. Hopefully I'm still welcome on the Audi forum with a close relative of the A3! It needs a few things doing like premium tyres and xenon headlight swap but I'm happy with it, it's amazing.

GTI6

GTI

GTI3

GTI5

Reactions: Jonnie, NevMan, A4A4 and 2 others
You do like grey cars mate but it will polish up extremely well

Reactions: NevMan, kieran-S3 and Kayobong
You do like grey cars mate but it will polish up extremely well

It's actually pearlescent blue in person! Hopefully it shows up better when clean. I can look a bit grey in some light.

Reactions: NevMan, Adam14 and Jassyo06
Getting the hang of using the DA, full stage 2 paint correction on the driver side of the car (ran out time to do the rest). The car is looking lovely in the sun, really need to get the alloys re-diamond cut at some point... I've made a little album from pictures I took today, file size is too big to upload here so imgur will have to suffice.

UuLzfPs.jpg

VINokbm.jpg

pcF69ZZ.jpg
ZqWFNcy.jpg
rnfJTF6.jpg
Frj58mw.jpg
4RQEQDk.jpg
p6bYyHF.jpg

Seems like you’ve come a fair way since around this time last year lol,

I’ve finally purchased a DA!!

I’m heading off on a road trip to the Nurburgring on Saturday and want to get the DA to use.

I’ve got a full kit from Menzerna and also got the 3 in 1 compound too.

Reckon I should just hit it with a 1 stage with the 3 in 1 or go all out and start with the heavy cut followed by the medium cut and then lock and seal?

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pics of the new car, it's absolutely filthy inside and out. Come the weekend hopefully i'll have some better pictures and cleaner ones too! Spec wise it's a MK6 GTI DSG, on a mere 40k miles, completely stock, has lots of options including full leather interior, satnav, rear LED's, and plenty more I've forgotten. Hopefully I'm still welcome on the Audi forum with a close relative of the A3! It needs a few things doing like premium tyres and xenon headlight swap but I'm happy with it, it's amazing.

View attachment 191660

View attachment 191659

View attachment 191662

View attachment 191661

DSG for the win!! Love the new motor!

Seems like you’ve come a fair way since around this time last year lol,

I’ve finally purchased a DA!!

I’m heading off on a road trip to the Nurburgring on Saturday and want to get the DA to use.

I’ve got a full kit from Menzerna and also got the 3 in 1 compound too.

Reckon I should just hit it with a 1 stage with the 3 in 1 or go all out and start with the heavy cut followed by the medium cut and then lock and seal?

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Congrats mate, Its entirely up to you what you choose. If you intend to do a multistage polish you need a lot of time on your hands, a good day or so. Most of the time a good all in one will do the job nicely if the paint isn’t too badly swirled. I’m no expert so best get some other opinions to be honest. Also my name is Kieron (spelt differently I know) Enjoy the DA it’ll take some time to learn to use it, I watched a few videos prior to my first attempt.

Reactions: kieran-S3
Congrats mate, Its entirely up to you what you choose. If you intend to do a multistage polish you need a lot of time on your hands, a good day or so. Most of the time a good all in one will do the job nicely if the paint isn’t too badly swirled. I’m no expert so best get some other opinions to be honest. Also my name is Kieron (spelt differently I know) Enjoy the DA it’ll take some time to learn to use it, I watched a few videos prior to my first attempt.

I’ve got a full day free this Friday before I go away so think I’m going to take it easy as it is my first time using it going to go in with the Menzerna 3 in 1 with an orange Hex-Logic pad followed with Menzerna lock and seal with a white pad! Wish me luck.

Gave the car a wash and clay ready for polishing at some point. Just claying the car made a big difference to the paintwork. I bought some original alloys and put them back on the car acompanied with Pirelli tyres. Just need some new centre caps to finish it off.

IMG 2763 IMG 2760

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Got myself some personalised plates on! I love the pressed metal plates.. Also gave the bonnet a DA polish using sonax ultimate polish and all of the marks are gone! I still have the rest of the car to do, a few scratches and plenty of swirls all over the car but the bonnet looks good bar a few stone chips, I love the pearlescent paint. Detailing in freezing cold is a ball ache so most of the good stuff will have to wait till it's warmer. Also added an interior shot, it's still quite dirty inside.

Unnamed 1 Unnamed 4 Unnamed 3IMG 2772

Reactions: Scotty75
3992a46c7f705c94c0bd8711b7e333bb.jpg
a430da452ae2eeca60ed3ffa24fd5551.jpg

So my car is currently at VW and looks like this. Disclaimer it was not me who did this, bad repair by previous owner. Going to cost me ££££ but it was causing serious boost leak. Basically needs a whole new front end.

49c060d67de0862b6a5a9c3593139b63.jpg

fe9350486ceee7108eb6f0323867e5f5.jpg

f02b5c50ca310b0517b17634d5d3dd6a.jpg

Cleaned two days ago and now it looks like this. I hate the winter

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Image1
Image0
Car is looking a bit odd whilst the wheels are in for refurbishment, I kind of like the black BBS wheels.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Unnamed 11

Unnamed 10 Unnamed 9

Refurbished wheels are on, looks much better. Got a quote from a body repair shop to respray the bonnet as there is laquer peel and fix some other minor exterior damage. Once that's done I'll finally be ready for some real detailing with the DA polisher, the car desperately needs some serious paint correction. Another two stage polish I think will be necessary.

Unnamed 12
Unnamed 11 Unnamed 10 Unnamed 9 Unnamed

Quick routine wash, refurbished alloys are looking rather nice. I got a new front OEM painted splitter, very expensive for a painted piece of plastic but definitely improves the looks. Also tried out meguiars tyre gel, as recommended heavily on here, definitely comes up very nice, a bit more effort than the autoglym spray on stuff but does give more shine. New OEM centre caps are also in the post!

Forgot about this log, seems I have missed the S3 out of it, anyhow today I gave my new S5 its first wash, just a routine wash to see what I'm working with and to get a better look at the Exclusive Audi "Palace Blue" colour it is sporting. I won't go into detail about the wash routine as I've gone through it a few times now, one thing to note is I'm now using Dodo Juice PH neutral shampoo and I'm really liking it. I also gave the interior a hoovering, but I am yet to give it a proper clean as it is near spotless anyway.

On to the S5, the paintwork on this car is probably the best out of any car I've owned for the age, there is not a single dent on the car, however there are a couple of minor scratches and stone chips which have been touched up and a small nick on the boot lid. The huge 20" wheels are near perfect with only one having a tiny mark on it and the engine bay is spotless. The previous owner was also a keen detailer and is actually a salesman for Dodo Juice, so it's been taken care of. It is not perfect and could do with a single or two stage paint correction as there's a fair number of swirls and marring. There are no real contaminants to speak of but it is harder to tell on darker colours and I will be giving it a full decontamination.

I'll stop yapping and let the pictures do the talking.

ASNNewS5OS
ASNNewS5NS
ASNNewS5RearH
ASNNewS5RearL
ASNS5FRNT
ASNS5ENG
ASNS5ENGPORT

Reactions: BarryG79, Jassyo06, Bristle Hound and 3 others
Top job with the detailing. It’s a beautiful colour.

It's a beast.

That's a really strong colour, going to look even more spectacular in the sun light. Looks mint.

P.S. That coolant looking too low, hope you topped it up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kayobong and Jassyo06
It's a beast.

That's a really strong colour, going to look even more spectacular in the sun light. Looks mint.

P.S. That coolant looking too low, hope you topped it up?

Thank you very much, I'm so happy to have an exclusive colour! Still plenty of correction needed before the colour will really show. The coolant has since been topped up dont worry, I'm looking at swapping to the revised coolant tank as I think it was a weak point. So that should happen in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Purchased a few bits to get the S5 up to my usual detailed spec. Finally pulled the trigger on a set of wheel Woolies

eab12bd3b2d9eddb570175cc5a95df49.jpg

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Jassyo06
Forgot about this log, seems I have missed the S3 out of it, anyhow today I gave my new S5 its first wash, just a routine wash to see what I'm working with and to get a better look at the Exclusive Audi "Palace Blue" colour it is sporting. I won't go into detail about the wash routine as I've gone through it a few times now, one thing to note is I'm now using Dodo Juice PH neutral shampoo and I'm really liking it. I also gave the interior a hoovering, but I am yet to give it a proper clean as it is near spotless anyway.

On to the S5, the paintwork on this car is probably the best out of any car I've owned for the age, there is not a single dent on the car, however there are a couple of minor scratches and stone chips which have been touched up and a small nick on the boot lid. The huge 20" wheels are near perfect with only one having a tiny mark on it and the engine bay is spotless. The previous owner was also a keen detailer and is actually a salesman for Dodo Juice, so it's been taken care of. It is not perfect and could do with a single or two stage paint correction as there's a fair number of swirls and marring. There are no real contaminants to speak of but it is harder to tell on darker colours and I will be giving it a full decontamination.

I'll stop yapping and let the pictures do the talking.

View attachment 215921 View attachment 215922 View attachment 215923 View attachment 215924 View attachment 215925 View attachment 215926 View attachment 215927

Rarer than Hens teeth is Palace blue and even rarer is a V8 S5 cracking car you've got there although l still prefer Sprint Blue lol there's a Sprint Blue V8 S5 near me and it looks awesome and has the same colour of leather as yours....Fire the up Qauttro....enjoy lol

Rarer than Hens teeth is Palace blue and even rarer is a V8 S5 cracking car you've got there although l still prefer Sprint Blue lol there's a Sprint Blue V8 S5 near me and it looks awesome and has the same colour of leather as yours....Fire the up Qauttro....enjoy lol

Thank you mate, I did get very lucky, I saw a few sprint blue S5's but to be honest I wanted a bit of a change and I've always wanted an exclusive colour Audi. The 4.2 V8 really is a thing of joy, it makes a lovely noise which is a perfect balance, not being too shouty. I am confident I will be keeping this car for as long as it lives!

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Jassyo06
Thank you mate, I did get very lucky, I saw a few sprint blue S5's but to be honest I wanted a bit of a change and I've always wanted an exclusive colour Audi. The 4.2 V8 really is a thing of joy, it makes a lovely noise which is a perfect balance, not being too shouty. I am confident I will be keeping this car for as long as it lives!

Just dont go travelling the country in it you may find it very expensive on the Carbon Fossil Fuel lol......"WHEN YER ALLOWED TOO THAT IS "lol

Just dont go travelling the country in it you may find it very expensive on the Carbon Fossil Fuel lol......"WHEN YER ALLOWED TOO THAT IS "lol

Achieved 32MPG on my way home from collecting it with an occasional heavy right foot. Around town is a whole other story but on motorways it's surprisingly efficient.

Finally got the DA on the S5 yesterday. After a light decontamination (the car had very few contaminants on it) using a clay mitt and some chemical decontaminants I started correcting with a hex orange pad and some Menzerna 2200. I started at around midday and kept on until the sun went down. During that time, I only managed to do one stage of correction with the mentioned pad and compound combination, and in that time, I managed to do the roof, whole near side of the car (bar front wing) and the boot lid. It struck me how large of a car the A5 platform is, and I still have a fair amount of work to go. What I have left to do is the bonnet, front and rear bumpers and the whole off side of the car! Then I need to go over it all again using a hex white pad and some Menzerna 3500 to refine further!

Anyway, here's so pictures of what I have managed so far. I did not manage to get any before pictures (I will try on the other side) but there was a lot of swirls and light scratches.

PC1

PC2

PC4

PC3

Reactions: Bryant1998, A4A4 and Jassyo06
Finally got the DA on the S5 yesterday. After a light decontamination (the car had very few contaminants on it) using a clay mitt and some chemical decontaminants I started correcting with a hex orange pad and some Menzerna 2200. I started at around midday and kept on until the sun went down. During that time, I only managed to do one stage of correction with the mentioned pad and compound combination, and in that time, I managed to do the roof, whole near side of the car (bar front wing) and the boot lid. It struck me how large of a car the A5 platform is, and I still have a fair amount of work to go. What I have left to do is the bonnet, front and rear bumpers and the whole off side of the car! Then I need to go over it all again using a hex white pad and some Menzerna 3500 to refine further!

Anyway, here's so pictures of what I have managed so far. I did not manage to get any before pictures (I will try on the other side) but there was a lot of swirls and light scratches.

View attachment 216148

View attachment 216152

View attachment 216153

View attachment 216154

View attachment 216155

View attachment 216156
Yer never gonna reach paint perfection mate even with a time consuming 2 stage correction...l always go Sonax perfect finish then afterwards if there's more stubborn imperfection ill redo with a 2 stage saves time car looks minted already

Yer never gonna reach paint perfection mate even with a time consuming 2 stage correction...l always go Sonax perfect finish then afterwards if there's more stubborn imperfection ill redo with a 2 stage saves time car looks minted already

Cheers James. I do also have some sonax perfect finish but ever since you suggested the hex white and Menzerna 3500 combo it's never left any holograms for me, so that's my go to! I always strive to get it as perfect as possible, or as close as I can!

Cheers James. I do also have some sonax perfect finish but ever since you suggested the hex white and Menzerna 3500 combo it's never left any holograms for me, so that's my go to! I always strive to get it as perfect as possible, or as close as I can!

l get where your coming with the 2 stage thing especially with your new car l would do the same and have done so during the honeymoon period with a car...i've sold my car...now so l am off out tomorrow to give it it's last machine polish....and guess what with.... Sonax perfect finish a bottle of it arrived yesterday just my go too product ...another recommendation for you is the Flex purple/orange pads they are the best out there bit more expensive but far more durable than the hex logic pads....correct quicker as well....their orange and purple flex pads no need for anything else....l even gave Jon from the "Forensic detailing channel" a recommendation about them and he swears by them now....lol

Last edited:
l get where your coming with the 2 stage thing especially with your new car l would do the same and have done so during the honeymoon period with a car...i've sold my car...now so l am off out tomorrow to give it it's last machine polish....and guess what with.... Sonax perfect finish a bottle of it arrived yesterday just my go too product ...another recommendation for you is the Flex purple/orange pads they are the best out there bit more expensive but far more durable than the hex logic pads....correct quicker as well....their orange and purple flex pads no need for anything else....l even gave Jon from the "Forensic detailing channel" a recommendation about them and he swears by them now....lol

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on your new car. I'll definitely give those pads a go. :icon thumright:

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on your new car. I'll definitely give those pads a go. :icon thumright:

Had to go for Turbo blue on my new car as it dictated the leather colour and the interior design pack.....hopefully when l am finished with it's paint it should be renamed Twin Turbo Blue...lol a Exclusive paint to order was too long long to wait for ie September....not getting a new car again just before winter mate wanted Nogaro...but hey ho....made up for it with a couple external oem add ons

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Kayobong
So Jassy - what's your new chariot then ? Not been on the forum for a while so missed that chat....