Kayobong’s Detailing Log

Kayobong

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I've never really properly detailed before and this was my first experience using the two bucket method and some tips I picked up on here. I've been wanting to detail my car since buying it, fortunately the dealer did a good job of detailing before I picked it up and the wax coat was doing well until I noticed some dirt buildup after a spell of bad weather recently.

Products used:

- 2x 20L Buckets w/ grit guards

- Sheep-wool wash mitt

- Auto Rae-Chem Cherry Burst Shampoo

- Autoglym Aqua Wax

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to detailing so any tips will be appreciated. I did notice some black raised dot marks which don't seem to want to come off on the front bumper and on the lower front of the door panel.

Anyway here are the results (sorry for the less than ideal quality images);

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 499
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 465
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 488
Reactions: V6_Man, THQuattro, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Great work. Very much a novice myself and like you picked up some great tips on here.

Try some Auto Glym tar remover for those black marks/spots it may help.

But this detailing lark is a minefield. So best to try what suits you.

Reactions: NevMan
Great work. Very much a novice myself and like you picked up some great tips on here.

Try some Auto Glym tar remover for those black marks/spots it may help.

But this detailing lark is a minefield. So best to try what suits you.

Cheers, I'll give it a go :icon thumright:

Good work mate, before you know it you'll be addicted and obsessed like the rest of us here in the detailing forum ...... and so your adventure begins . Kiss goodbye to your hard earned dollars lol.......

Seriously though id try a clay bar for those black spots. Could well be tar but also any other number of contaminents stuck to your paint. Thoroughly wash the car , then dry it. Then go over it with a clay bar and lubricant spray. It'll soon get rid of those pesky spots. After that polish and wax to your hearts content.

Reactions: Kayobong and NevMan
Good work mate, before you know it you'll be addicted and obsessed like the rest of us here in the detailing forum ...... and so your adventure begins . Kiss goodbye to your hard earned dollars lol.......

Seriously though id try a clay bar for those black spots. Could well be tar but also any other number of contaminents stuck to your paint. Thoroughly wash the car , then dry it. Then go over it with a clay bar and lubricant spray. It'll soon get rid of those pesky spots. After that polish and wax to your hearts content.

Think I already am addicted! I've thought about a clay bar, not too sure how to use them. Thanks for the insight though, I'll probably be purchasing a clay bar soon.

Think I already am addicted! I've thought about a clay bar, not too sure how to use them. Thanks for the insight though, I'll probably be purchasing a clay bar soon.

Buy a Farecla Clay Mitt. Brilliant bit of kit!!

Reactions: Kayobong
Got a lot of rain today, at least I know I did a good job with the wax, got some nice beading

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 446
Last edited:
I’m due to start out myself my S3 is now 4 years old and from what I can see has never had any detailing done just the regular wash. Car is ridden with swirls and light scratches any tips on a kit that will set me on the right path to loosing time and money but having a shiny car? thanks

Reactions: Kayobong
Get a DA polisher with some orange hex logic pads and a bottle of Scholl S3 Gold XXL. Also a clay bar.

Thoroughly wash and dry the car . Then clay bar the whole car , one panel at a time. Wash and dry once again.

Polish one panel at a time with the S3. Wipe panel with IPA and inspect after each pass with the polisher. Polish again if needed. Once happy use a finishing polish like Scholl S20 to give the result you want.

Be prepared for a lot of time and effort

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

Reactions: OCDaveS4, NevMan and kieran-S3
I haven't actually updated this thread in a while but I've bought a hell of a lot of stuff. So the most important purchase was a pressure washer, I can't recommend one enough if you don't already use one for prewash and rinse, I've gone round the whole car with some tar remover and fallout remover and it's worked a treat. I recently bought some polish and clay bar kit, haven't been able to use it due to weather and I'm just awaiting the chance.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and kieran-S3
Fallout remover at work. (Yes I know the alloys are kerbed, it's from the previous owner)

Attachments

• 55802506231__D5B8E756-18E3-462F-BE68-5090C5BEDF80.JPG
    55802506231__D5B8E756-18E3-462F-BE68-5090C5BEDF80.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 467
Reactions: Jassyo06
Using the clay bar on the car makes a huge difference to the polishing process.

I’m due to start out myself my S3 is now 4 years old and from what I can see has never had any detailing done just the regular wash. Car is ridden with swirls and light scratches any tips on a kit that will set me on the right path to loosing time and money but having a shiny car? thanks

I can't think of any complete kits but make sure you get yourself some grit guards to compliment a two bucket wash.

Reactions: Scotty75
Using the clay bar on the car makes a huge difference to the polishing process.

Little nervous as I've never clayed or polished a car before.

easy really . Just remember if you dtop the clay throw it away. You'll feel the clay grabbing as you first use it. Once containents are removed from the surface the grabbing stops and you will feel the clay bar gliding .

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Kayobong
If you want to see a good YouTube video on how to clay bar your car have a look at ‘Chris fix super clean’. Shows you the whole process, I followed the process and everyone I know has mentioned the paintwork!

It might seem daunting but make sure you always keep the cars surface really well lubricated. I would also suggest starting on a flat horizontal panel such as the bonnet or boot to get the feel of doing it. You don't need to apply any downward pressure but just slide the clay using your finger tips, using the weight of the clay to make contact with the paint.

Once you've done it you will wonder why you ever thought it would be difficult !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Kayobong
It might seem daunting but make sure you always keep the cars surface really well lubricated. I would also suggest starting on a flat horizontal panel such as the bonnet or boot to get the feel of doing it. You don't need to apply any downward pressure but just slide the clay using your finger tips, using the weight of the clay to make contact with the paint.

Once you've done it you will wonder why you ever thought it would be difficult !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a go tomorrow hopefully, weather permitting.

Got this advise ( below photo ) from a Company called in2detailing - as like you a first attempt at detailing so I bought one of his kits as it worked out cheaper plus a few extras - use code FORENSIC to get 10% off items ( except kits which is priced to the bone ).

I bought a DAS PRO Plus as I have a A6 Avant and need a machine I can hold to stretch over the large roof + bonnet plus a throw to cover the large panels. When back in stock I will buy a smaller machine for the smaller bumper / skirts as they re below £100.

With A3 you could use a DAS PRO with the 2 pad sizes so saving you money ( quite a lot )

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/prod...ion-machine-polisher-scholl-concepts-kit.html

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/prod...ion-machine-polisher-scholl-concepts-kit.html

Also have a look at this chap on you tube - he seems really truthful and British so doesn't bluff his videos.This is where the discount code comes from and he does not have any links with the products he tests so independent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg

IMG 0942

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

Firstly apologies for the length of this message, its a bit of a long one.
I really need to get into this Audi forum as a few of you have contacted me now which is great and the recommendations are really appreciated.

Now, onto machines.
The 15mm is an awesome machine HOWEVER please be aware that is can only take a larger backing plate, 5inch (included) or 6 inch. This means smaller areas, like top of doors, gloss black sections between the side glass, bumper lips, side skirts etc you will struggle with that 15mm machine. Bigger panels, like doors, roofs, bonnet, no problem and you will correct that faster that the other machine I'm going to recommend below. Furthermore the 15mm is a smoother and nicer machine to hold.

Now the DAS 6 Pro has a smaller throw and comes with both a 3 inch and 5 inch backing plate giving you that flexibility that the Pro Plus does not offer. So if if is your only machine, then personally we recommend the DAS 6 Pro over the Pro Plus. It also saves you £50 which is always a bonus. But that decision is yours, weigh up the pros and cons.

Right onto compounds. S40 has barely any cut so realistically, even though you start from the least aggressive combination, I would personally just skip past it, don't waste your time. S20 is a great one step compound, however it is not a heavy hitter. For lighter stuff, generally a green hex logic pad and you will get decent results. As it is what we class as a one step, don't follow up with S40, the level of increased gloss is so minimal that again, a waste of time (see, saving you more money again lol)

What I would do is look at one of our kits, like the Scholl kit for example. It includes S3, S17 and S40 along with some pads which covers all bases.
Why do you want that? Well a few reason. Firstly, as I mentioned above it gives you the full spectrum of heavy, medium and light cut at a lower cost that we're you to buy individually.
Secondly, Audi generally have quite hard clear coat and out eyes can be deceptive. So what you are seeing as a light swirl or scratch may not be able to be removed with S20 becuase of the hardness of the clear. If you only but S20, then you will not be happy that you then need to go out and buy something heavier and then another pad. I did my BMW recently. Seriously it was very light swirling, I ended up having to go for a seriously heavy combe to get any sort of result. So you would start with S17 (similar to S20 in that is a one step) and the green pad on the boot lid for example. If you are getting the results, fire on. If not, step up to S3 on the same pad and after that if necessary S3 on the orange. If you step up to S3 on the orange, then follow with S40 on the black as the finish over that S3 leaves is worth the extra time.
The last reason to get the kit is because further down the line, if you do another car, or you get a scuff, you have got the full range again at your desposal.

I have waffled on enough now, I hope the advice makes sense however if you want to clarify or ask anything else, give me a call 07590555657, you'll get straight to me

Regards

Imran Hussein

Reactions: A4A4, kieran-S3, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Got the clay bar out today and a bit of polish, I may have reused the clay a bit much, if I'm honest I didn't really notice a huge difference after the clay & polish except the panels felt smooth, I have to say I do really like monsoon grey, anyway here's some pics.

IMG 1418 IMG 1416 IMG 1411
L4qakSv.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man, A4A4, Scotty75 and 1 other person
Reactions: V6_Man, Taxboy and Kayobong
A clay mitt / bar won't enhance the paint it just cleanses the paint of spot contamination mate car is looking great

Thanks, still learning a few things though!

Reactions: Jassyo06
The difference , now you have used the clay is all about the smooth paint surface. Now you know you aren't dragging containents across your paint when you polish.

Your. Cat is looking really good mate........ Just think what you could achieve with a DA polisher ........ Like the Monsoon Grey by the way

Reactions: Taxboy and Kayobong
Looking really good. If you really want to feel the difference claying has made & have access to another car, try the plastic bag test. Simply put your hand inside a carrier bag and lightly rub your fingers across the bonnet. On some cars this can feel like sand paper !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: A4A4 and Kayobong
Cleanyourcar do various kits if that’s what you want or mix & match products. Have fun

Finally got to use my new snow foam lance, and it really does make a difference, the foam is actually like proper foam now. It was dark before I finished the wax coat, so I did half and called it a day.

IMG 1440IMG 1439IMG 1443

Reactions: SM18, oli356 and Jassyo06
@Kayobobg

What foam you using? I’ve got actimouse installed at work, we have a autosmart truck come round on a Friday, think there stuff is great and a decent price too.

Especially their interior polishes and sprays

@Kayobobg

What foam you using? I’ve got actimouse installed at work, we have a autosmart truck come round on a Friday, think there stuff is great and a decent price too.

Especially their interior polishes and sprays

Pro-Kleen got 10L of it off ebay for £18, really good stuff.

Polished the poo shoots today since I got bored, should've taken a before picture to show the difference. There is a lot of stubborn black stuff which I imagine is soot/carbon and it doesn't want to come off so not entirely sure what to do about that.
Image0 Image1

Polished the poo shoots today since I got bored, should've taken a before picture to show the difference. There is a lot of stubborn black stuff which I imagine is soot/carbon and it doesn't want to come off so not entirely sure what to do about that.
View attachment 167438 View attachment 167437
What did you polish them with Autosol or a good metal polish with a slightly abrasive pad/applicator will remove the soot, ie them green washing up sponges ie the darker/coarser side will do the job gently does it

What did you polish them with Autosol or a good metal polish with a slightly abrasive pad/applicator will remove the soot, ie them green washing up sponges ie the darker/coarser side will do the job gently does it

Just some standard car polish but for deeper marks, I do need some fine wire wool or something, could do with a dedicated metal polish also.

Just some standard car polish but for deeper marks, I do need some fine wire wool or something, could do with a dedicated metal polish also.
As @jassyo06 said, Autosol. Think it's a fiver in Halfords. Good stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kayobong, Jassyo06 and NevMan
For my exhaust tips that I'm sure I was the first to clean I first soaked them with a lot of WD40. Did this a couple of times , sprayed loss of it all over the tips , left a while to soak and word off. Then applied a generous amount of Autosol and rubbed gently with wire wool. Wiped clean and then repeated Autosol but this time used a micro fibre cloth . Job done , results were good.

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and A4A4
Fan of Autosol too, tried others like megs metal polish, wd40 and even sealed angelwax bilberry wax.

Do mine now with 'Bar Keepers Friend' which after a good dedicated scrub came up shiny.

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75