Karls 3.0 TDI build thread

Hi Karl, like you I removed the butterfly valve in the airbox but only recently noticed that ETKA calls it a hot air intake (attached pic). Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• GzPZhJP.png
    GzPZhJP.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 623
Oh and if anyone is wondering whether a turbo blanket fits the stock turbine housing, it doesn't. There isn't enough space in between the turbine and (what I believe to be) the EGR cooler. Shame as it would of made a nice addition. Stock heatshield is back on.

Interesting about that being a hot air intake, I can't imagine it would be even warm air as where it pulls air from is just at the back of the headlight. But there's nothing to stop all the cold air entering through the main intake though so assuming you were in Siberia at -30 most of the air going into the air box will be at -30.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it myself. When you mentioned the butterfly valve opens above a certain rpm, was that something you saw yourself ? Because that also doesn't quite make sense to me either from a cold climate point of view. I'd imagine at speed there would just be extra cold air around that area.

Unless those clever Audi engineers know hot air somehow makes it way up there and perhaps swirls around there? Perhaps the headlight fog light does not let through as much air as we think and some hot air from the radiator/engine makes it's way up there? Just guessing here I suppose.

I'm tempted to put it back in now.....

I removed mine and loved the extra induction noise and a little extra throttle response from 1800 - 2500 revs. So mine is staying out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Karl, this is the CP3 HPFP , right?

d5de0e8fcf0ef5278266718b1ffb174f.jpg

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Have you fitted this was it direct replacement i have the R85 and my rail pressure and actual; iq is wobbling at WOT keep getting the odd limp mode and low rail pressure code up

or does anyone have any part numbers for a direct replacement R100 ??

cheers

Hi Nate, my car has the standard CAPA CP1H pump the same as yours I think.

yes you do, but i believe you have fitted a inline or lift pump iirc ? this is maybe why you dont have any fueling issues ? whats your demanded iq?

i have put a new filter on it helped marginally.

i have found these pumps on ebay quite cheap think they might be worth a punt if they will fit

didnt bobby go from a cp4 to a cp3 ? so can we go from a cp1 to a cp3 ?

Last edited:
I think you are getting mixed up. It was bobby that went from cp4 to cp3

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have got an extra pump fitted. I think my car injects about 92-93mg.

im asking for 95 or 100 cant remember what i told the bloke exactly as this was last year and ive barely driven the car for months as ive been working away the womens been driving around.

but actual is anywhere between 75 and low 90s hence why i said its wobbling. demanded fuel isnt met and then the rail pressure drops. i am demanding 1950bar so it is above the sensor if im right in thinking its 1800bar, i might have to fit the later higher pressure sensor as when it goes above the limit the values in vcds turn to hexadecimal

i just want it sorting , possibly thinking about getting rid and sacking it off for an A7 BiTDI next year ... at least with that turbo set up total through put will be massively increased they are 3576 standard iirc ... hybrid the larger turbo to like a 4080 or something silly hoping the smaller will still spool it will be a little crazy

Not surprised you are getting fault codes for low fuel pressure asking for 1950 when the sensor only runs to 1800 bar. Mine only runs 1800 bar max.

Nate Bi turbo has a R80 pump.
There are alot of over inflated power figures for the bi turbo around.
One of my hybrids is going on a CAPA and it'll be my first high power CAPA so I'll know first hand of the limits very soon.

Reactions: Horia
yup, R80, if theres a decent fuel upgrade available with a turbine like that on it power should be good from one tho.

karl - it doesnt do it every time it just every now and then just annoying when you go for an overtake and that one in every 50 times it hits limp etc ...

do you two know anything about this pump upgrade is it worth a punt on my capa ?? an r85 to an r90 should cure my low rail pressure issues if itll fit

found some on ebay for sub £100 and the option of returning as its on ebay so i might just get it and try .. if not do you know of any cp1 pumps that are min R90 ??

Had some fun in the car last bank holiday Monday. Took it to Curbrough which is a small sprint track just down the road from me. Been there before with the Club GTI people and it's a fun day out hooning around a small tight track.
As there always is there were mostly MK1,2,3 Golfs that were in various states of tune. Some very quick track weapons and some more normal track day cars. There is a mix of other cars there with the odd Renault Clio , Tesla , Honda Integra etc.

@jojo in his Golf
IMG 1836

IMG 1871

IMG 1875

A very nice Integra DC5, All stripped out with all the trick Mugen parts
IMG 1928

IMG 1941

A remapped S1 Go-kart
IMG 1947

Alex @sparrow in his stroker A3. Seemed to be a little light on the rear, locking the brakes a lot.

Alex sparrow

Alex sideways

This was a video from last year on board in my car.

You can see it's a bit of a point and squirt affair.
Didn't go as fast I had run before but it was very hot especially in the afternoon.
Ended up just a hundredth slower than the S1 go kart. I was quicker than the MK7 Clubsport S Golf though.
Attachment

Overall position

Be interesting to see what @Prawn does in the new car nest year. Maybe give Gurds a bit of a run for his money :) .

Reactions: jojo, bobby singh, scotty76 and 2 others
Quite impressed really that it keeps up with the other cars, considering it's weight it could be called HMS Avant! From the 2016 video it's looks surprisingly nimble and willing to change direction. Some of these cars weight a LOT less. Good to see the suspension and brake mods working out well. Torque will also help in the low speed corners, especially if you don't get it right the torque will help you get back on track haha.

I think all the bits come together to make a car that handles quite well despite it's weight. If you look at the video around 8 seconds you can see the back end starts to come around, This makes it easier to rotate the car on power as the 60/40 split on the quattro certainly seems to help unstick the back end, along with the 750Nm of torque.
One of the guys turned up with a corner weight scale set once and my car came in at 1816Kg with me in it and 1/8 tank of fuel. That was without the rear seats which are quite easily removed. These probably weigh around 40-50Kg.
Car on scales at curby

Car weight 8th tank no rear seats

Car weight no rear seat eigth tank me in car

Reactions: Misikee and barkclark
Wow! I must have totally missed that in the video, that's actually impressive. Is that with just the rear ARB upgraded or both?

I'm amazed that the Avant is that much heavier then a A5 coupe, as mine comes in at stock 1620 curb weight, but removed the spare (15.5Kg and tools/jack should be closer to 1.6. Wheelbase isn't that much longer in all honesty. Very interesting.

I agree those rear seats weigh a ton, even in my car. It's actually an effort to flip the top bit back up when you've had them folded down. :blink:

That's just the rear upgraded roll bar. With an upgraded front bar the car corners flatter but you don't get the same turn in or small amount of oversteer. The £10 aluminium bar that I installed as a strut brace is probably the best performance improvement per pound spent that I have made.

You mean the one right above the plenum correct, earlier in the thread? When I took mine out it was solid and pretty heavy. Is there a difference between A4 and A5? As I don't see how mine could be improved on.

Yea I'll fit just the rear ARB as well, but they all seem to come in kits of front and back, except the 034 Motorsport one, which is just rear, but also £££.

I saw a link to a rear bar the other day on another thread. It's 25.4mm diameter so about 25% stiffer than the 24mm H and R bar I have on my car.
The 034 bar is also 25.4mm diameter but is adjustable with 2 holes in the end of the bar.
https://h-tune.co.uk/hardrace-rear-anti-roll-bar-25-4mm-audi-a4-b8-08-14-a5-s5-8t-07
The A5 seems to have a different body brace to the A4 one which is just a 90 degree bent piece of metal.
Does yours look like this ?
Upload 2017 9 7 14 6 9

Reactions: Misikee
Yep that looks exactly like it, it's fairly chunky, would probably double up as a burglar deterrent haha! Well that clears things up for me, thanks, been wondering that for a while now!

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look now.

Alex @sparrow in his stroker A3. Seemed to be a little light on the rear, locking the brakes a lot.

View attachment 135417

View attachment 135416
Thanks for that... :whistle2:

The front brakes weren't working well, which wasn't apparent just driving it on and off the trailer. This became apparent at the end of the straight first lap out!
The first picture was just over steer after pushing it a bit hard. I held it all the way around the corner as well, which was great fun.

ABS module is now out, just need to join the brake pipes up, and make sure that was the problem.
If not, it's either a seized caliper, or master cylinder.

That would explain the rear locking then LOL. Lucky not to have visited the scenery then, good job it's only a small track. Well held round that bottom bend.

Hi Karl, I'm just wondering if you have done anything about the anti-stall, you know the engine giving a little revs when letting the clutch up.

Coming from older cars where the focus was solely on the driver to prevent stalling, this has been doing my head in since day one, and I've had this car for about 20k miles now. It really drives me mad, especially in stop start traffic. It jerks about like something silly. I've had to get used to a lot of different cars over the years but I still hate this, okay I can manage it but it's far from ideal.

Can this be modded out by VCDS by any chance? The clutch delay valve is another hopeless thing. Both me and the missus have got excellent clutch/throttle control so we can do without all this faffing.

Last edited:
I don't have any issues driving in traffic like that. I wouldn't have thought you could alter that functionality with vcds it will be something in the ECU map. I find getting rid of the clutch delay valve helps quicker gear changes. I have removed it from my 2002 TT as well. It's exactly the same part on the TT.

Nice, that's good to hear. Were the two female and one male just long enough?

To be honest the whole anti stall bit is much better with ADS on Dynamic, as the throttle response actually helps a whole lot. Still don't like it that the engine gives 200-300rpm worth of revs to get you rolling.

I'll try and do the clutch delay valve mod first and see how we go. I've also never entirely liked the feel of a dual mass flywheel either so perhaps I'm just a little bit too picky.

034 Tranny insert helped massively though.

Two male and 1 female fitting together work fine. It's a bit of a pain and fiddly to get at on the A4, I would get a proper brake fitting spanner if you didn't have one.

Yup, got that, would not be good to strip anything round there. I'll attempt it when I've got a bit of time. Thanks.

Is it possible to move the heat shield enough with the coolant pipes in place?

Hi Karl, I'm just wondering if you have done anything about the anti-stall, you know the engine giving a little revs when letting the clutch up.

Coming from older cars where the focus was solely on the driver to prevent stalling, this has been doing my head in since day one, and I've had this car for about 20k miles now. It really drives me mad, especially in stop start traffic. It jerks about like something silly. I've had to get used to a lot of different cars over the years but I still hate this, okay I can manage it but it's far from ideal.

Can this be modded out by VCDS by any chance? The clutch delay valve is another hopeless thing. Both me and the missus have got excellent clutch/throttle control so we can do without all this faffing.

Pop down when you get 5mins I've managed to hopefully get rid of the anti stall for you.

Thanks Karl, I'll have a look at Elsawin and see what's what, I can't remember if it was easy or not.

Pop down when you get 5mins I've managed to hopefully get rid of the anti stall for you.

Yes, that's excellent!! Okay I'll be in touch, need to have a look at how the week pans out. Thanks Bobby.

Well changed this over last Monday Afternoon. A big thank you to @PenttisHSR for mentioning this.
A bit of a ball ache to get at as it's located under the brake servo and getting at it is a bit fiddly

The part removed is a pressure damper I believe and has a diaphragm in which reduces any pressure pulses passed back from the clutch and would make the pedal action smoother. .

Hi Karl
Out of interest, any chance you could cut this in half?
I'd be really interested to find out if there was a diaphragm and spring inside there.

@PenttisHSR Well as I have been meaning to cut one apart myself I just spent 10 minutes out the garage.
I have 2 of these as the one I removed off the 2002 TT is identical to the one off the A4.
DSC 2869

Cutting around the top with a junior hacksaw took the one end off.

DSC 2870

So it's just an empty void. The holes in and out of it are fairly small at 3mm but that isn't going to make that much difference. All I know is the clutch works better without this on both the A4 and my TT.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and Misikee