Karls 3.0 TDI build thread

Haven't gotten around to running that again, suppose I could set it up on the way to work tonight and have a look.

Karl.

Just checked your thread on your Passat and boy was that a killer car in disguise. Hope you do the same with this bad boy.

Keep it all up! :yum:

DPF is going to be part of the mot test as of febuary the only way around it is by smashing out the internals as its only a visible check providing emissions go through aswell !!

Unless you know a generous tester that is :)

No updates for a while.
Bought some new centre caps for the winter wheels. The ones that came with the wheels were a bit second hand but at £25 a pop from Audi they could stop that way. Anyway spotted some cheap ones on Ebay £15 for 4 delivered from China, Obviously copies but they looked OK.
Only took 70 days to arrive, I had almost given up hope.But unless you look closely it's hard to tell why Audi has to charge £25 each when I have bought 4 for £15.

Uprated Intercooler and hoses , clips etc to fit were ordered yesterday. so might be fitted next weekend.

karl

Last edited:
Where'd you get the boost pipes from ?

On a side note, have you ever come across anyone that offers uprated intercoolers for our engine ?
I'm thinking of going down the route of one of the A5's you posted in the other thread - but without the meth injection
The smoking was minimal - so intercoolers, dpf delete and revo stage 2+ software should make for a potent daily work van for me

Darkside Developments offer a intercooler for the 3.0 tdi...

I am using a universal intercooler although I have not seen this particular one used on any A4 or A5 cars and I have scoured the net :) . A lot of cars just use a standard 600*300*76 universal intercooler and then use a hose to reduce from 3 inches to 2.5 inches on the connection.

FMIC FFRONT MOUNT TURBO INTERCOOLER TYPE B 600x300x76MM | eBay

There are plenty of intercoolers made for the B8 A4 , A5 most of them are just a bit pricey for me.
Darkside do one but it's the best part of £500 and a good part of it ends up behind the bumper bar.

Darkside Developments - Darkside Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) for 2.0 / 2.7 & 3.0 TDi Audi B8 Platform

There are several designed for the 2.0 TFSI which would work with our engines.

Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

AWE Tuning 2.0T Front Mounted Performance Intercooler | AWE Tuning

I didn't want an intercooler that sits behind the bumper bar as that to me defeats the object of a FMIC also if you go higher than the standard one you start covering the Air con heat exchanger. In my last car I had a big FMIC and found in the summer the air con was next to useless when giving the car some beans as the hot air off the FMIC wouldn't cool the heat exchanger.

If I could get my hands on one of the intercoolers off the A6 , A7 313bhp BI TDI engine I would have fitted that. There are several on Allegro which is the Polish version of Ebay but I have read too many stories about people paying for stuff and never seeing it.
It's about 25% bigger than the standard one and looks like it would fit with little in the way of modification and probably no extra hoses.Also it would look pretty much OE.Has cast alloy end tanks and looks like it would flow a lot better than the standard FMIC.
Part number is 4G0145805J

Audi A7 Ladeluftkühler Tuning A5 A4 Q5 3.0TDI 2.7TDI 3.0TFSI 2.0TFSI Intercooler | eBay

INTERCOOLER AUDI A7 Q5 3.0TDI 4g0145805j (3891624070) - Allegro.pl - Więcej niż aukcje.

Karl

Well got around to fitting the new intercooler today it was quite a decent day here this morning and it was a fairly simple install really.

Intercooler came in a really nice padded box, very posh.
IMG 1580

Its a Mishimoto J line off Fleabay
IMG 1593

Picked this because the Mishimoto stuff seems to get reasonable reviews, It was the right size, you can fit much bigger intercoolers but they get hidden behind the front bumper bar which is a waste of time and they also will not allow proper airflow for the air con rad and I found on the Passat the air con was not as good as it had been before the intercooler fit because it wasn't seeing ambient temperature air.
This intercooler is about 20% bigger than standard but it's a bar and plate and weighs 8.5Kg where as the standard intercooler comes in at just over 3Kg. There is a lot more material in the Mishimoto.
The M on the front is just matt black spray paint and came off really easy with a brass wire brush. The intercooler is painted and this didn't touch the paint so looks good for the future.

Heres what it looks like inside
IMG 1590

All the bits to fit it. All in the intercooler, hoses, clips and alloy joiner tube cost £255.
IMG 1597

Here is the original and new one
IMG 1613

And a look in the end of the original, actually very little oil in there for a car with 75K on the clock.
IMG 1617

Just some small strips of sturdy metal bracket hung off the front bumper bar to support the intercooler. Very easy install.
IMG 1619

Cut the hoses to length and fitted the clips, these hoses aren't going anywhere.had to bend an AC line up a little bit for clearance but it was only a small amount so not an issue.
IMG 1621

IMG 1620

Looking from the front, the full face of the intercooler is exposed and there is a small gap at the top to allow some direct air through.
IMG 1618

I completed some test runs, off road of course, before fitting to try and establish whether the new intercooler was an improvement or not.These are shots of some logs I took before and after.

Before 6.5 degrees and raining
Test run results before intercooler

After 4 degrees and dry
Test run results after new intercooler

The starting temperatures at the beginning of the runs are high because I had do 2-3 runs before. I logged RPM , Speed , specified and actual boost, intake temperature and the Charge pressure adjuster position sensor . This is the feedback from the turbo to say where the VNT mechanism is. The lower the voltage the more open the VNT is. I was trying to establish if the pressure loss across the intercooler was lower. If so the VNT would be more open for any given condition. looking at the figures before and after the specified and actual track very well as I expected.
However looking at the VNT position sensor it's easy to see that there is quite a big difference in the VNT position after the IC has been changed with values being noticeably lower.
The actual cooling of the new IC is much better than the stock one. I have seen 40 degree intake temperatures on the standard one when it's been 8 degrees ambient, I would say the new one reduces intake temps between 10-15 degrees and also has less pressure drop. The VNT being open wider means less back pressure and lower EGT'S so thats all good.

Karl.

Last edited:
Fitting hardware used for the intercooler was two 45 degree silicone bends and two 63mm alloy pipe connectors and 6 Mikalor T bolt clips to fit 63mm pipes.

Last edited:
No mapping is next on the agenda after my spare DPF arrives. In the UK they are changing the MOT regulations so all cars that originally had a DPF have to retain one. At the moment it's purely visual so if you cut the DPF open and gut it then that would be good. However I suspect that possibly in the future they may include an actual test to measure smoke levels, if this was the case then the car would fail.
So as I have a perfectly good working DPF at the moment I have found a duff one on German Ebay and that is winging it's way here at the moment.
Audi A4 8K 3.0 TDI Katalysator Kat Lamdasonde Dieselpartikelfilter 8K0131765 G | eBay
Even comes with Lambda and EGT sensors attached. Will check these out on the car and keep them for spares.
Just need to sort the broken stud which won't take long. This DPF will be gutted and put on the car, I will keep my working DPF and if the rules change regarding the MOT I will just swap the good one onto the car for the MOT.
If the rules don't change and I don't need to keep mine I will sell it and should get a reasonable amount of money for a genuine working DPF off a 75K mile car. Thats the plan anyway.

Karl.

No mapping is next on the agenda after my spare DPF arrives. In the UK they are changing the MOT regulations so all cars that originally had a DPF have to retain one. At the moment it's purely visual so if you cut the DPF open and gut it then that would be good. However I suspect that possibly in the future they may include an actual test to measure smoke levels, if this was the case then the car would fail.
So as I have a perfectly good working DPF at the moment I have found a duff one on German Ebay and that is winging it's way here at the moment.
Audi A4 8K 3.0 TDI Katalysator Kat Lamdasonde Dieselpartikelfilter 8K0131765 G | eBay
Even comes with Lambda and EGT sensors attached. Will check these out on the car and keep them for spares.
Just need to sort the broken stud which won't take long. This DPF will be gutted and put on the car, I will keep my working DPF and if the rules change regarding the MOT I will just swap the good one onto the car for the MOT.
If the rules don't change and I don't need to keep mine I will sell it and should get a reasonable amount of money for a genuine working DPF off a 75K mile car. Thats the plan anyway.

Karl.

That's a fantastic idea!! I totally didn't think of this.

Time to search for a busted DPF!!

Good luck with finding a broken DPF if it's a 3 litre one you are after. Proabably quite a few 2.0 ones around but the 3 litre seems to be quite good on DPF's.

Before and after photos. If you know what your looking for you will spot the aftermarket FMIC, I try and make my cars as innocuous as possible so big shiny lumps of aluminium with red or blue boost pipes isn't for me :) .
IMG 1610
IMG 1623

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: s33nyboy12

Karl.

I'll be doing something similar, except for different reasons.
I'll be replacing my working DPF with a proper downpipe, and keeping the DPF for awhile.
My reasoning is that a DP will flow better than a gutted DPF.

So there may be a working 3.0 DPF (55,000mi) in SA available for the international market, since I doubt the local market would be too interested.

ps. remap makes a world of difference to the engine...loving it.

DPF arrived today, Not bad seeing it was posted in Germany on Friday afternoon,Has come air mail so must have cost a few pennies to send as it weighs 12Kg and it wasn't a small box.
IMG 1629

The 2 EGT sensors seem to be good, will try them and the Lambda out on the car to check them out.

Karl

Last edited:
Aren't their a few different flanges though for the dpf's?

Your setup differs to my 09 plate A6 3.0 tdi
I have the cat directly after the turbo, then the DPF is located seporately about a foot after that according to the EPcC at Audi (visual confirmation by myself concurs - two seporate boxes)

Enjoying your progress build thread Karl

The fort on mount intercoolers looks great, nice and subtle
I'd like one for mine but I have two intercoolers in either corner of the bumpers making uprated ones hard to come across
Darkside Developmets offer one like yours but nothing listed for the A6 ..... Just you shape A4 and the A5

Whom are you getting to remap your car once you've removed the dpf ?

I'll be doing something similar, except for different reasons.
I'll be replacing my working DPF with a proper downpipe, and keeping the DPF for awhile.
My reasoning is that a DP will flow better than a gutted DPF.

Sure a proper down pipe will flow better, probably has a bit bigger diameter bore and a gutted DPF will have a void which exhaust gasses will have to expand into and cool thus slowing their exit speed.

Depends what Karl is doing, he could weld a pipe in like he did his back boxes ?

Yep, he could put a straight pipe into the DPF which would work well while retaining stock looks :)

Anyway, question for you Karl.
I may have missed it above, but what diameter are the inlet/outlet pipes on the FMIC you fitted?

They are the same size as existing intercooler was and the pipes on the car 62/63 mm or 2.5" .

Fitted the Eibach Pro springs . After having a look on the net and seeing how Audi do it in the workshop repair guide on Elsa Win I thought It wouldn't be too difficult.
This Revo document for installing there Stasis suspension upgrades is quite useful.
http://www.stasisengineering.com/sites/default/files/install_pdfs/Installation Guide_A4 S4 B8.pdf
Karl.

Karl,

Did you need any audi special tools for the spring replacement. 'Front Removal' Step 7 of Stasis is talking about an Audi spreader tool, did you get away without needing it?

The spreader tool is just used to keep the gap open. I used a chisel making sure it does not contact the body of the shock absorber as you wouldn't want to chisel a hole in it. I suspect this is why they have developed this type of tool, plus theres no hammer swinging or potential to hit something else.
The really useful tool would have been the rear spring compressor as they were a PITA.

" The rears springs were interesting as I thought they would be, On my old Passat just a matter of undoing the shock absorber lower mounts and the rear axle would drop down enough to remove the springs. Not so easy on a quattro.
The official way of removing the rear spring is with a special spring compressor, normal spring compressors mostly won't fit due to the confined space. By putting the spring compressor I have inside the coil spring rather than on the outside, and using some Pretty sturdy ratchet straps managed to compress the standard spring enough to remove it."
The spring compressors I used are like this.

2PC 12" COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR CLAMPS HEAVY DUTY | eBay

Karl

Fitted some LED'S in the interior lights and the boot lights today.
only 15 minutes and a couple of pounds but nicer that the standard filament lights and a touch brighter too.
Before
IMG 1630

After
IMG 1635

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: barkclark and ScottishA4B9
So B8 has a single intercooler unlike the B7's twin set up?

This is the kind of intercooler you would be fitting if pushing the limits. I believe some people are not far off or just over 400bhp with these engines.
This intercooler has been used to get 395 bhp on a car.

Karl.

This job was on my list of things to do so had a look at the weekend. The car is an 08 plate with 75K on the clock and the engine code is CAPA. It had a one piece aluminium manifiold rather than the plastic item.
Not too difficult to remove the manifold, I was hoping to get it off without undoing the high pressure fuel lines but had too undo 3 joints as not able to remove the manifold otherwise. No problem with this though when restarting the car just took a few seconds to prime the system again and all was good.
It didn't look as bad as I feared it might be and I cleaned pretty much all the oil/ coke buildup off the manifold using Comma Hyperclean engine degreaser. The swirl flaps looked reasonable , I don't think theres too much play in the rubber bearings.
when the car is remapped I will be getting the EGR mapped out so that will be the end of any future build up of carbon

Left intake
IMG 1664

Right intake
IMG 1663

Left intake
IMG 1657

Right intake
IMG 1662

I did notice the one side was more coked up than the other. That is the right hand intake had more coke in it I think because of the design of the intake. Air going to the left side of the engine has to do a bit of an about turn so any solid particles in the airstream are more likely to go straight on and end up on the one side of the intake.

Karl.

Last edited:
Fitted a glove box light to the car last weekend. Believe it or not it's not a standard item on the car. You have to specify the interior light pack which includes the lights on the vanity mirrors ( standard on a Passat), glove box light (standard on almost all cars) and front footwell lights. This is something like £200 .
I got the bits from Audi about £16 which was a light fitting for the Glovebox , 2 repair wires and 2 connectors that the repair wires plug into.
IMG 1653

The switch is already on the car it's part of the glovebox damper mechanism.
So just drop the glovebox, light clips in the top of the glovebox in the existing hole.Cut one of the repair wires the one end goes to earth the other to a fuse point on the end of the dash. using one of these.

ADD A CIRCUIT- FUSE TAP - PIGGYBACK FUSE - TAKES STANDARD FUSE | eBay

If you want a switched live pick up a feed here.
IMG 1666

permanent live get a feed from here
IMG 1668

Well useful things these fuse taps are. Replaced the bulb with an LED to match the interior lights. May tackle the footwell lights front and rear next.

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glarhzilla and ScottishA4B9
Big big thanks to Rick at Unicorn Motor developments Unicorn Motor Developments, Custom Remapping and ECU Services Stockport .
I wanted to get the car mapped and the DPF removed but didn't want a generic phase 1 map . Rick maps the car to what you want with a custom map written by himself.
The DPF was removed and replaced and you can't see any sign that it's been gutted.
The brief was get as much reliable power out of the car as possible without turning the car into a mobile fog bank.Remove the limiter and disable the EGR system.

I had seen this video on you tube
A5 3.0 TDI MRC Tuning Remap Dyno - YouTube

Car has the same engine as mine so 310 bhp and 640Nm were my idea of what I wanted. But I didn't want to pay MRC prices.
The standard car uses 62mg of fuel to make 236bhp, 236/ 62 = 3.8 bhp per mg at 4k rpm. so a rough calculation means we needed to get the injected quantity to around 82mg to make 310bhp, as well as making sure the car didn't smoke too much and the injection timing was within the reasonable limits.
After lots of logging runs and several different maps the car was done.Fortunately my car can be mapped through the OBD port later EDC17's have to come out.
There are many limiters built into the ECU that Rick had to work through and calibrating the fuel and boost to get the minimal amount of smoke the car makes took some time.
To see what impact the tuning was having on the car I found a really great program called virtual dyno
http://www.virtualdyno.net/

Just log the rpm against time.Do a run in third gear from 1500 to the red line ON A FLAT road, Tell the program the weight of the car the gear ratio the tyre size, cd of the car and it calculates the power from that. It should calculate whp.
I took my car to a public weighbridge and the car with 3/4 tank of fuel and me in it was 1880Kg. I weigh 80Kg.
The car came with a tuning box which I also tried to see what difference it made.
Looking at the video of the MRC A5 they are calculating whp losses at 62PS and the corrected figure they come up with is 311PS.
That is a 20% loss, so working on that and my car being 240bhp a 20% loss would be 192bhp.
Setting the virtual dyno correction factor so that the standard run comes out at 191bhp you get the following.

You can see the tuning box makes a difference but nowhere near in the same league as the remap. The calculated whp is 245 which is pretty much the same as what the MRC car measured at 247.
Alternatively change the dyno correction factor so that it shows the standard run at the flywheel power you end up with the graph like this, so effectively it's calculating losses the same as it ends up with the same figures

475LB/ft of torque is 645Nm

The car really flys now 0-60 from the VCDS logs I have done is around 5.6s and it gets to 100 on a closed public road in 13.5 seconds.
There is a light haze when flat out from about 3800 to 4500 and you can only really see this in the headlights of other cars.
Fuel economy wise it's definately better will need to give it a few tanks to work out the exact improvemnent
Here is a bit of a video, it was a bit damp and it was done with the winter tyres on so didn't give it loads of beans.

And heres a 30-70 in third gear 4.8 seconds.

Again thanks to rick he is a real professional who really knows what he is doing. And I would recommend anybody to him.
Got the Team dynamics wheels to fit now as had the tyres fitted so will try a log and see what the difference is as they are 5.5KG a wheel lighter than what is on the car at the moment.
Hopefully going to make the GTI spring festival at Santa pod to find out what it will do in a timed quarter mile.

Karl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: martinivw, ScottishA4B9 and kanecullen89
interesting reading
great use of the comparisons using the virtual dyno

Looks impressive from the short clips posted

It'll be interesting to see you new econ

What tuning box is it you you tried please ?

The tuning box was on the car when I bought it. It is one of the cheaper ones but TBH it doesn't make a lot of difference how much you spend with these you are not going to get massive power increases.

Diesel Express Home Padge Index

The maximum fuel rail pressure on this car that is specified by the map is 1650 bar. A tuning box will increase this but obviously there is a limit to the amount that fuel pressure can be increased.
I believe the fuel pump in this car a CP1H is good for 1800 bar.
When the specified fuel pressure is lower than 1650 bar the percentage increase can be higher.
I plotted the input / output voltages for this box to determine it's affects. With a 1650 bar request on the position I had it on that would result in a rail pressure of 1758 bar a 6.5 % increase.At other points the increase is larger but it's never more than about 15% when lower pressures are requested.

Karl.

Yes it's straight through and it's not really any louder than standard. Some people wouldn't like that, I think it's just fine. I will do another sound level check video if I have time tomorrow just to see what it sounds like revving it.

Karl.