K04 standard cat to downpipe - bolts

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone please confirm whether the standard catalytic converter incorporates the 6 `bolts` that secures the cat to downpipe?

The diagrams on the part databases are not clear (to me).

If the bolts are separate to the cat, does anyone have a part number? I can find the part number for the nuts...

Thanks.

I don't think you will be able to find those specific ones or find a part number for them as I think the cat comes as a whole part. Could be wrong...

They are able to be knocked out though! I ended up taking one with me to a hardware store and got a stainless steel bolt set the same length/width and nuts and washers that fit. Replaced all 6 that way.

when I removed mine they were more like flush studs sticking out which needed to be cut off.

(Ian just posted he knocked his out)

Here's how I did it. Put a nut on the end so it wouldn't mushroom the bolt.

IMG 0900

Reactions: vanilla_ice
Perfect! Thank you both.

Any idea on exact size of the replacment bolts? Would like to get them in stock before I tackle the job.

They are studs due to the lack of room behind the flange to get a nut or bolt heat in... size is M8 and I have not seen one yet that hasn't had to have the nuts cut to remove as the nuts face forward and corrode..

To replace you may have to drill out the old studs, re-tap then use M8 studs..

Was some time since I have done one but I also seem to recall them being press fit from the other side of the flange much like wheel studs so may have a small flat head in which case you may not be able to re-tap them as they won't be tapped in the first place

<tuffty/>

Reactions: vanilla_ice
They are studs due to the lack of room behind the flange to get a nut or bolt heat in... size is M8 and I have not seen one yet that hasn't had to have the nuts cut to remove as the nuts face forward and corrode..

To replace you may have to drill out the old studs, re-tap then use M8 studs..

Was some time since I have done one but I also seem to recall them being press fit from the other side of the flange much like wheel studs so may have a small flat head in which case you may not be able to re-tap them as they won't be tapped in the first place

<tuffty/>

must corrode that badly cause of the grit over there :(

When I had to fit my cat for mot I just drilled the studs out and used a m8 nut and bolt.

Reactions: vanilla_ice and IPG