k04-64 Hybrid in S3 8L?

GRELA

Reaction score
Has anyone actually made a k04 work? I have a chance to buy a ready built hybrid k04 but from one of the mk4 forums even on FWD car it looks like a right pig of a job + tons of fab work so i cannot imagine it being any easier on a Quattro?

I know i'll need the adapter kit to make it bolt to a 1.8T head but that's not an issue as i know where to get one but mainly asking on about routing the DP and all the other piperwork that's involved in it, i'm crap at digging around on the internet so any info would on this would be great!

I thought it will be, photos would be handy from people that have actually done it. Bloke on a mk4 forum had to route an OEM TFSI boost pipe round the camblet side which i think won't even be possible on the S3, can't even tell cause my s3 is engineless for a year now so can't even remember if there would be any space for a such witchcraft lol.

Makes me think that in a long run all the fab work involved + the cost of a hybrid will turn out to cost the same or even more for a GT30 including a manifold and wastegate. Guy on facebook is selling a 1k mile old GTX for touch over a grand but i think it has an odd hotside or something... not good with turbo's so would have to do reasearch on it.

Makes me think that in a long run all the fab work involved + the cost of a hybrid will turn out to cost the same or even more for a GT30 including a manifold and wastegate.

Pretty much...

I am assuming you are rebuilding the engine hence it not being in the car? you will ideally need to do an engine build if going for a larger frame turbo...

GTX turbos are over rated on 20v engines... AET GT3076 is where its at these days

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...076-framed-units-being-tested-badger5.304869/

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/gt30-s3.297511/

<tuffty/>

Mhhh... Educate me please, isn't the S3 a K04 already? So what makes this turbo so hard to install?

Sent from planet Procrastination

Pretty much...

I am assuming you are rebuilding the engine hence it not being in the car? you will ideally need to do an engine build if going for a larger frame turbo...

GTX turbos are over rated on 20v engines... AET GT3076 is where its at these days

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...076-framed-units-being-tested-badger5.304869/

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/gt30-s3.297511/

<tuffty/>

Yeah taking my time on the rebuild, since i messaged you about the IE crank pulley i'vew only got a forge baffled sump and now i got some deatchwerks injectors and now i'm almost at the stage of buying a turbo.

Mhhh... Educate me please, isn't the S3 a K04 already? So what makes this turbo so hard to install?

Yeah but if the memory serves me right it's a k04-23 and k04-64 was used on 2L TFSI motors and also the manifold and hot side is all one piece, wish it wasn't cause then it'd be easy to fit lol

As GRELA said... its the turbo from a TFSI... the comp wheel is the same one used in most decent 8L framed K04 hybrids (or was until copy billets became available)

See prawns thread.. He is using an K04 064 on his A3

<tuffty/>

So 350bhp is pretty good from prawn then for a k04. Isn't an A3 easier to upgrade to tfsi as the turbo is wrong way round for S3 8L

an S3 should be possible!
It is... Bill has done one...

IMAG0987

<tuffty/>

Reactions: slowcoach3
Not a simple task, Luke Rainbird is about to drop a K04 064 in his LCR and my A3 will eventually have a similar setup, but both FWD so makes the DP a darn sight easier.

Check out this thread on TTOC http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=994041
If it goes into a quattro TT an S3 should be possible!

Hi, its a bit of a puzzle but fits great on a tt so why not on an s3.

Btw thats my tt/build thread :)

Edit: there is also an k04 tfsi hybrid here in Holland on a Leon cupra r thats running 410 hp and 500 nm with 1,6 bar of boost

Last edited:
Its no puzzle... it does 'fit' the same as it would on a Mk1 TT its just no body tends to do it as there are generally better alternatives... cost wise its not much different to getting a bigger framed turbo as non of the bolt on 8L based products can be re-used which makes k04 023 type hybrids a more realistic route...

Bang for buck larger turbos are arguably a better bet... for the power levels they provide a normal 023 based hybrid is a more sensible solution... for the 064 hybrid figures I would go 3076....

If you are worried about 'lag' then learn to drive...

<tuffty/>

Btw thats my tt/build thread :)

Edit: there is also an k04 tfsi hybrid here in Holland on a Leon cupra r thats running 410 hp and 500 nm with 1,6 bar of boost
yours is LHD
thats the difference

That's interesting, so a "back to front' k04 from tfsi naturally fits a LHD Audi ?

I still don't understand why Audi needed to change the orientation of the engine?

Is it to do with the steering column?

What a lot of work, but I suppose the e36 325 BMW driver seats were pointed in the wrong direction in order to maintain chassis and gearbox setup.

But Audi only mirror'd half the components!

TFSI has wider chassis legs and larger transmission tunnel... downpipe goes down to opposite side of the prop to the 8L

LHD 8L generally has a little more room due to the servo and steering column being out of the way

<tuffty/>

Slight digression but still on TFSI.

Are all the 2 litre engines capable of greater than 300bhp without connecting rod upgrades?

Slight digression but still on TFSI.

Are all the 2 litre engines capable of greater than 300bhp without connecting rod upgrades?
Capability is not the same as reliability

TFSI's run sintered crack rods and are not drilled... read into that what you will

<tuffty/>

Well i'm still going ahead of getting a hybrid, deposit paid so too late now lol

Main problem will be sorting a DP out which will take a lot of faffing around, joys of living on IOM is that barely anyone will actually know how to use a TIG and so far i'm in the talk with a mate that runs an exhaust/tyre workshop so i could at least supply myself a bit of good grade stainless and bend a bit pipe then get one bloke to tig it up that's if he's ever gonna have spare time, same will have to go with boost pipes and IC.

I think the Tfsi hybrid is decent enough middle option between k04-02x frame and big turbo.
It's definitely cheaper than a proper BT setup imo, despite the fab work

Reactions: snowy
Life as an apprentice is tough so that turbo setup will be more than enough for me, it all started with doing an oil change after i bought the car :highly amused: Once the car is finally back into one piece it WILL put a smile on my face, driving an old wrecked 1.8 e30 is boring :sleeping:

hi guys it's been a wile nice to see u all.

so s3daves car is been picked up in the next few week and been rebuilt by a professional not me. just need to get the car mapped then.

ill keep yall updated on the progress don't know how to post pictures so abit stuck there.

The build will be a TFSI turbo into an 8l its all set apart from i don't hv a clue what dave was buying, wanting to use, what is bought and what isn't, gonna be a tough one anyone know what his plan was plz feel free to mail me thx gaz

Reactions: s3 Hoggy