K03 Journal Bearing (Twin or Single)

samsalter

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have bought a rebuild kit including a twin journal bearing.
but I have taken out the existing bearing and it seems to be a single journal bearing (see photo)

My question is,
Can I use the Twin bearing as a replacement?
Can I use the old single bearing? or will this keep the current play in the shaft?

Regards,
Sam

According to my research, there is not much benefit from using a Twin Journal Bearing over a Single.
Therefore I would be inclined to use the twin.
They are the same size just have different holes.

Will the additional holes cause the oil to flow to fast and make its way into the exhaust and cause smoking?
or is there a restrictor in the line prior to the turbo that slows the flow of oil?

On my TD04 there is a restrictor before the turbo so the oil flow wouldn't change when changing the journal bearing.
If the same theory applies for the K03, then surely I can use the Twin right?

Do not use twin unless you have a twin feed bearing housing. If you do so it will cause turbo to fail

Do not use twin unless you have a twin feed bearing housing. If you do so it will cause turbo to fail

ahhh right,
luckily you said that I was gonna bang it together tonight :grimacing:

so to confirm, I need the single feed bearing?
can the orginal be re-used? or is this the offending piece causing shaft play?

Right, I have chased up the ebay seller for a replacement of the journal bearing at my cost.

this is his response -
"Hello Sam,
Actually you don't have any problem replacing single oil feed with twin oil feed. The problem would be replacing twin oil feed with singe.
But in this case it is even better for lubrication:)"

This tells me that beachbuggy is wrong above?!?
Can anyone confirm this?

Who is the eBay seller? Well known or trusted?!

Fit it at your own peril but believe me it's not worth doing and won't in any away give more more oil flow, actually less!

Why? Well look at the bearings. Single has 1 hole room feed inside the bearing and then grooves along the bearing to feed the oil. Compared to twin which has holes directly above the bearing to feed it and large holes in the middle to allow the oil to escape. Fit a twin to single and the oil goes straight through the big holes in the middle of the bearing and not along the bearing/shaft!

Simple fact.. twin is designed for twin feed and single for single feed mix them up and the turbo fails ask Crturbos about it..

Who is the eBay seller? Well known or trusted?!

Fit it at your own peril but believe me it's not worth doing and won't in any away give more more oil flow, actually less!

Why? Well look at the bearings. Single has 1 hole room feed inside the bearing and then grooves along the bearing to feed the oil. Compared to twin which has holes directly above the bearing to feed it and large holes in the middle to allow the oil to escape. Fit a twin to single and the oil goes straight through the big holes in the middle of the bearing and not along the bearing/shaft!

Simple fact.. twin is designed for twin feed and single for single feed mix them up and the turbo fails ask Crturbos about it..

fixyourturbo - located in Barnsley - Ebay top seller
no idea how good they are.:blink:

thanks for the explanation, it does make sense I suppose.
Although if the single has only small holes in the middle and the twin has bigger holes, I cant understand how this will be worse?

Single feed has 1 hole. Oil is fed from the bearing housing into the journal bearing under pressure by this single hole. Oil enters the bearing and moves outwards via the small grooves along the bearing supporting the shaft and exiting the bearing at the ends.

Twin feed has 2 holes, 1 at each end which supply oil to the journal bearing around the small groove externally with small holes feeding the shaft and bearing. The oil move along the bearing in both directions and drains by the 2 big holes in the middle.

Put a twin feed into a single feed and 1) there are 2 big holes 2) there are no grooves to feed the actual bearing inside and the actual feeds don't get any oil.

All you really do is lubricate the outside of the bearing and not the inside which is pretty critical! If a twin could be used in a single then there would be no need to supply the single feed bearing!

Not worth the risk!