K&N Panel Filter 2.4 v6

Randles

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I had a K&N panel filter for my car yesterday so I had a quick look under the bonnet and quickly closed it again lol. No honestly has anyone replaced the air filter on a 2.4 v6 1999?

I'm going to fit it in the morning because Ive got a day off because I run out of light in the evenings by the time I get home.

Any tips are welcome:icon_thumright:

Thanks all.

Hi Randles, I may be wrong but i think all the V6's have the same filter housing?

Easy M8!, once the bonnet is up there should be a plastic panel on the left of the engine bay which covers some sensors, gently lift this panel up over to remove. then there is a pipe from the front left hand side of the bonnet slam panel, which flows the air to the filter box. this pipe is easily detatched by first compressing the flexi bit and easing it away. then unclip the top of the housing and lift to get access to the old filter ( sometimes requires a little twisting around, but be careful where the wires are!).

Its a good idea to clean the inside of the filter housing before fitting ur new filter ( some people have drilled the housing out in a bid to get more airflow?, tried it myself, which did nothing, if i were you i would'nt bother)

once the filter is in make sure the lid seats properly on the housing and ensure the filter is still in position as they can slip inside the main housing.
connect the pipes and covers, bonnet down, Done! (all going well)

hope this helps!

there might be a how 2 in the forums (try an advanced search)

cheers PAUL

Don't do it!!!

Put a nice fresh paper filter in there, the standard ones ARE NOT RESTRICTIVE.

Also, the filtration oils can play havock with the very sensitive MAF sensors.

Thanks for the step by step I'll be sure to use it I just didn't want to uncover any nasty's thanks scrupes spot on mate :icon_thumright:

I haven't fitted it yet I didn't have time Ive just moved house and its a bit hectic to say the least. I think I'll leave it until the weekend now.

Yeah people used to say the same about putting them in Scooby's etc When I had my last car (which was a Scooby) I put a k&n panel filter in there with no problems at all it was the induction kits that caused the problems because you had to change the lay out a bit and the maf wasn't very well supported and used to shake and in turn damage it. I didn't think there was problem with the panel filters I understand what your saying Dan about the oil on the filter causing damage to the maf but surely it wouldn't get to the maf unless it was saturated in oil? Surely the airflow isn't high enough to do that?

I ran a k & n in my Scooby for 4 years and never had a maf problem but I could be wrong with the Audi maybe I wont fit it after all :think:

But again the bith for your replies:icon_thumright:

Yeah, I've had tons of K&N's (cones AND panels) on various Vauxhalls and Fords etc,..................without any problems (other than heatsoak in the warmer months).

Audi AFM's seem to be that more sensitive (although still made by Bosch and Hitachi), but to look at it another way, there are Audis on here running 400-500 bhp on the stock paper element ;)

Dan Gliballs said:
Yeah, I've had tons of K&N's (cones AND panels) on various Vauxhalls and Fords etc,..................without any problems (other than heatsoak in the warmer months).

Audi AFM's seem to be that more sensitive (although still made by Bosch and Hitachi), but to look at it another way, there are Audis on here running 400-500 bhp on the stock paper element ;)

400 - 500bhp on a stock panel filter? Now that's wild never heard of that before but you learn something new everyday:thumbsup:

Nice one Dan;)

Well put the k&n in last night and there's definitely a small improvement in throttle response and acceleration at low revs or it could be me imagining it lol

Thanks again scrupes for the guide very easy to do I dont know what I was panicking about.

Dan Gliballs said:

does that apply to the audi tdi engines as well ive got a pipercross panel filter in mine shall i dash in a stock paper one from eurocar parts?

I had my 1.8T chipped a few months ago and then put a K&N panel filter in. It doesn't seem to be running as well lately in that it feels slightly hesitant sometimes and also hunts a bit on idle. It's coming up for a service and i'm gonna put a paper one back in and see if this solves the problem.

I think psycologically the K&N made a difference but i don't really think power wise it's any better at all.

Just my experience.

Ive just fitted a K&N panel filter in my 944 turbo,while it sounds a bit different i havent noticed any difference in the cars performance at all !!!

The power gain of just a panel filter is below 5% so no one is capable of noticing it, if it's there at all. I've swapped between the 2 loads of times and can't tell the difference, it's purely psychological IMO.

yeh, when i replaced my filter i didnt notice any performance increase. Gives a nice note to the car though, no adverse affects as of yet, but random idling and flat spots are red flags apparently, something to do with the fuel air mixture.

Another problem is, people tend not to clean and re-oil cones and panel filters very often, and some just leave them in and don't touch them at all. They clog up very easily.

It's a shame that for over 10 years now we've been living in a Max Power/Fast Car/Demon Tweaks generation, one where he have an 'Automatic Mod Tick-list' for every car we buy.

It's become habit (rather than benefit) to fit the obligatory 'K&N charger' now, without even stopping to think whether the factory inlet is actually restrictive or not, and in the case of the modern Audi,...................it isn't.

BREAK THE HABIT PEOPLE!!!! LOL

Isnt the Carbonio a better option than a K&N ?
I am thinking of getting a Carbonio very soon that is why I am asking.

macattax said:
Isnt the Carbonio a better option than a K&N ?
I am thinking of getting a Carbonio very soon that is why I am asking.
Don't know of anyone that has fitted one yet so cant comment.
Most people tend to go for the Simota Carbon Intake or BMC Carbon Intake. Simota is better as it has the pipe work with it although ill fitting its still very good value for money IMO and the pipes can be fixed easily see PHIL R's install pics. The BMC doesn't come with any pipe work.

As for panel filters I thought Green Cotton ones were the best as they don't require oiling. As far as i know Vag cars should stay away from FOAM filters and ones requiring oiling as the MAFs hate them.

put a pipercross element in mine, thought the car felt a bit better but old one was quite dirty! no difference in sound and no probs as yet. audi maf's are a bit fussy though so oily filters might harm them. i was also told induction kits for the v6 just suck in heat and are less effective than a panel type on these cars.

agreed that green filters are the best aftermarket for the job. Having said that I did replace mine with the stock a week or 2 ago to see if there was any difference, sounded a bit different but nowt else. i only put it on coz it will last a lot longer than stock, so thats one thing you dont have to worry about any more, apart from cleaning it of course.

audia4.36 said:
agreed that green filters are the best aftermarket for the job. Having said that I did replace mine with the stock a week or 2 ago to see if there was any difference, sounded a bit different but nowt else. i only put it on coz it will last a lot longer than stock, so thats one thing you dont have to worry about any more, apart from cleaning it of course.

But how much is a fancy panel one compared to a paper element?

How long do we KEEP these cars?

I certainly wouldn't buy a fancy one as an 'economy drive' ;)

I think as, you've already said Dan, that we're just 'programmed' to do these things nowadays.

:sorry:

smitch said:
I think as, you've already said Dan, that we're just 'programmed' to do these things nowadays.

:sorry:

Yep.

A couple of people on this site have said that they fitted a fancy filter for extra NOISE, but not one person has said they've fitted it because they think the Audi inlet is 'restrictive'.

Also, if somebody down the pub asks if you're car is modified, it's cheap and easy to say, "Yes, I have a K&N air filter".

I dismiss them as meaningless TBH, and prefer to hear about REAL mods ;)

Cone filters are good for a bit of growl but panel filters seem a bit pointless to me.

Does anybody have any real evidence that oiled filters ruin your maf? I've never had any problems.

I have a Jetex panel in mine, i only bought it as it was the right price at GTi International. It is possibly a little noisier with it fitted, but thats it.

When the AEB is fitted it will have a paper one installed unless i stumble accross one again