k-line 1 short to ground & does not connect to check fault codes????

S3SYD

Reaction score
Hello people was woundering if anyone has had this problem?:unsure:
Its not a the stereo system as it a factory fitted one and not a after market one!!!:no:
But i have disconected it to elimanate it and no joy!!:sadlike:
I have tryed many other diagnostic tools and they dont connect also so its a fault with my car not the tool i have.:faint:
So when i vag-com it it does not connect and when i do a port test and it shows k-line 1 short to ground!!:think:
All your help would be greatfull:respekt:
Thanks.:rockwoot:

:s3addict:

Maybe it had an after market one fitted before you bought the car and the previous owner didn't refit the factory stereo properly? is this a recent problem? have you been able to scan the can before this happened?

Have you had any work done to the car recently?

<tuffty/>

Using the power of google (useful tool), there are a few posts suggesting you need to unplug the various modules one at a time to eliminate a rouge one... how you do this is a little beyond my knowledge but there is a wiring diagram pdf that Welly posted up so have a search and see if that can help... it would seem that a control module could be causing this... one link from google suggested the ABS controller... this can be unplugged from under the bonnet...

Can't really suggest much else as it seems like a fairly laborious job to go through testing everything...

Good luck...

<tuffty/>

thanks for the reply tuffy
nah mate iv had the car since 2005 and it has never had the system changed.
i have had no work done to it and its always connected up right away with out any problems
were are the modules located?as i shall dissconect one by one to see were the problem lies.i belive it can not be the engine ecu as it will not strart otherwise!!

The 'modules' will be located all around the car IIRC... from what I have read from some of the google results the connectors culminate in the footwell behind the kick panels on some Audi's but whether thats the case on an S3 I don't know... would kinda make sense as all roads lead to Rome so to speak and in this case the OBD diag socket where the K-Line can be interrogated...

Like I said, have a look for the thread Welly posted with the links to the PDF's as that will be a good start and you may be able to trace the K-Line back from the OBD socket to somewhere plausible for all the module com lines to connect up...

May also be worth posting the question on the VCDS forum here on ASN

<tuffty/>

Another possible solution... have a look at the diag socket and make sure it has all the pins sticking out.... i.e somebody rough has come along and tried to forcefully align the socket???

Before starting to disconnect modules I would firstly check the fuse to the 16pin obd connector. It should have a designated fuse for this - Probably not the cause but rule this out first. Check all others at the same time for good measure then move on. Next I would check obvious connectors behind instrument panel , ABS module etc etc for corrosion or damaged pins .You really need some wiring diagrams first before you start probing into circuits to do drop tests.

thanks mate
i tryed looking for the wiring diagrams but cant find any.any one have any??