just viewed a car, couple of issues

karl210

Reaction score
Just been to view a 2002 a4 2.5tdi avant.
Has 175k on the clock, full audi servicehistory upto 145k but was on longlife, then the current owner has serviced it every 10k, bodywork is average, but ots really cheap, £1600 soi can afford to spend a bit on it. Cambelt was changed at 120k.
I checked the cam lobes for wear but it was really hard to tell, the middlebit of the lobe was shiny though? Also the coolant was a crapy colour and the gearbox was sloppy, oh and the central locking didnt work. I dont want to make any wrong decisions again, what do we think?

Just been to view a 2002 a4 2.5tdi avant.
Has 175k on the clock, full audi servicehistory upto 145k but was on longlife, then the current owner has serviced it every 10k, bodywork is average, but ots really cheap, £1600 soi can afford to spend a bit on it. Cambelt was changed at 120k.
I checked the cam lobes for wear but it was really hard to tell, the middlebit of the lobe was shiny though? Also the coolant was a crapy colour and the gearbox was sloppy, oh and the central locking didnt work. I dont want to make any wrong decisions again, what do we think?
Oh, and can isofix be fitted?

Quickly wrote the first post on the phone so i'll just recap, stuck whether to get the car or not.
1. On longlife service full audi upto 145k.
2. Current owner services every 10k upto the 175k its on now.
3. I checked cam lobes through oil filler but was really hard to tell.
4. Gearbox is sloppy, can this be sorted?
5. Coolant is a crappy colour.
6. Remote central locking doesnt work.

The car is very cheap though, he will take £1600 and it is mainly for work but I have and would love to spend some money on it but don't want to be throwing ££££ away at it. Need to make a decision fast. I am a bit of a mechanic so I can do work myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-a4-2...2197124?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item25987e3204

Still a lot for a 12yr old car with the suspect engine.If the gearbox isn't right this could cost a lot.I would look for the 03 on for not a lot more

Remote central locking might be it just need keyfob button pressing When in the ignition

I know what you mean, I really don't want to make a mistake, I have £3000 to spend weather its on a bit of a dog to improve or on a nice example. There's just not many about, and thinking about it, I probably should take my time choosing. I just can't wait to get back into something german and not jap

How is the gearbox sloppy? Do you mean just the shift? If so probably the bushes or similar as the manual boxes are quite robust usually.

If you're handy with the spanners you could set aside a few quid to change the cams and timing gear and all things equal you're going to be ok for plenty more miles.

There's a write up for Isofix in the DIY guides sticky thread, approx £40 a side though!

How is the gearbox sloppy? Do you mean just the shift? If so probably the bushes or similar as the manual boxes are quite robust usually.

If you're handy with the spanners you could set aside a few quid to change the cams and timing gear and all things equal you're going to be ok for plenty more miles.

There's a write up for Isofix in the DIY guides sticky thread, approx £40 a side though!

Well I was hoping it would just be bushes but thought I would check that there's not a common fault with the selector forks or anything silly like that. It just feels like stirring a bowl of porridge!
The car felt ok to drive considering the miles, no knocks or bangs in the suspension etc unlike my old s3 8l, ****** top mounts!

Changing the cams wouldn't be a problem for me, I just don't want to be wasting money and time that's all but then again any other 2.5tdi I look at could have cam issues also.

The car did sound a bit tappety and to be honest it didn't feel very powerful, but I have never driven one of these before and it could just be the way it delivers its power very smoothly. I'm still on the fence!

If you're in the market, i have a mate that has a 2002/51 reg a6 avant quattro with a very, very good running engine, full eibach pro suspension, re-mapped and 15% larger injectors, up-rated brakes, panoramic/solar roof, leather sports interior and much, much more... Cherished car, high mileage but runs like a swiss clock ! No cam issues whatsoever...

Can you pm me some more info over and pics please? I would consider it

No, it definitely has to be a b6. Even that is old for me! Found a nice one but its a saloon!!! God damn it!

I'd personally keep looking. I gave 1800 for mine just over a year ago. A 2002 2.5tdi quattro with FSH, 162k miles. Really clean and tidy example. You can get a decent one but it takes time to find one. I travelled 250 miles to buy the one I have now.

Well i've just picked one up today! so on the hunt for mods now! This one has bags more power than the the previous one I looked at, gearbox is a bit better but still a bit sloppy so need to research that

Think the op looking at b6,dont think id spend nearly £3k on a b5
A b5 is better built than a b6 a4, however they are getting long in the tooth so they are not as tidy as a few years ago. I am fortunate to own a b5 saloon v6 tdi quattro with 100k on the clock and it's just as a brand new car- no squeaks or ratles, no smoke an as planted as it can be on motorway ! I had a few dozens of either b5 and b6's and this is by far the best !

I wasnt debating which is better,i was just pointing out that the op was looking for a b6 not a b5.
I like the b6 personally!