Just to say HI.. New A7 owner

uktivo

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm about to become a new A7 owner. I have a late 2012 3.0 BiTDI Quattro that I should be picking up in about a weeks time.

VERY excited about it.. don't see many around, which I like..

Could I ask just one question for now please. I've read about the issues with the in dash sim removing BT connection.. so my question. Is there a phone that will allow the pass through of data so google maps etc works but you also keep your BT connection? I was told Samsung S3 would do it as its rSAP compliant. Has anyone tried this?

Looking forward to contributing to the forum.

UKTivo

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Look forward to pics of your new car. Im sure someone will be able to answer your question. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: uktivo
Welcome to the forum.

I had my S2 in a friends A5 that had the latest mmi 3g+ & it seemed to allow the phone to work via bt & also the sim in dash was used independently for google earth maps, I believe he used his IPhone to do this aswell, so if your system supports, then it maybe engineering mode setting or directly via vcds, its one of those things that would need to be checked when car in hand.

Thanks for the quick replies. To answer your question, I'm in north staffs..

The car is fabulous. It is fully loaded with all toys inc air suspension, sports differential, advanced key. Etc. Looking forward to getting it.

Galaxy S1, SII and S3 work well in the A7, I have a 2011 A7 with the online services and I have no issues with it. But some versions of ICS 4.1.1 (Ice cream sandwich) Android software do not have the bluetooth rSAP profile which is what you need. My S3 is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and that supports rSAP perfectly well.

But basically most phones that support rSAP will work fine, avoid any Iphones if you want rSAP. Iphones will not work with online services along with any phone that does not support rSAP (also known as Remote SIM access)

Galaxy S1, SII and S3 work well in the A7, I have a 2011 A7 with the online services and I have no issues with it. But some versions of ICS 4.1.1 (Ice cream sandwich) Android software do not have the bluetooth rSAP profile which is what you need. My S3 is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and that supports rSAP perfectly well.

But basically most phones that support rSAP will work fine, avoid any Iphones if you want rSAP. Iphones will not work with online services along with any phone that does not support rSAP (also known as Remote SIM access)

Thanks for the info. With rSAP phone attached does the Audi use both data connection for maps and bt connection for phone (all from the handset. Ie, no sim in the dash) ?

Thanks for the quick replies. To answer your question, I'm in north staffs..

The car is fabulous. It is fully loaded with all toys inc air suspension, sports differential, advanced key. Etc. Looking forward to getting it.

If you interested in meet/events in you area, link is below. :) x

​Midlands

Ok I have now spoken with mate user Adamantium to clarify this, as I was sure he said it worked fully now, he now tells me it wasnt the bt worked alongside the google sim, it was the bt didnt work full stop although did when I had it, so now he has bt working again but only when sim is removed, so apologies there was a miscommunication there.

Whats strange is I had my galaxy S2 working, not in rsap mode over bt as I definitely recall this when I got fairly excited it was all running when it shouldnt of lol & the google earth maps syncing, so I'm at a loss how that worked as I enabled this within the settings & 1st thing it did was work alongside eachother, I havnt got access to the car anymore to mess with it to try & replicate, but I may be seeing him soon to play with it a bit more, what a ******.

Yes rSAP profile is used for voice & data, you can also send and receive texts and setup a MIFI point in your car which is quite cool as when your phone is in rSAP mode you can no longer get email or browse the web, but if you connect back to your car over WIFI from your phone as well then you can continue to send and receive WEB based information. This is how my S3 is setup with the A7 and works flawlessly .

A couple of negative things are, it's slow to connect in the A7, MMI 3G is very slow to start up. And if you with Vodaphone like me then you get an annoying text and config message every time you get out of your car as the IMIE code changes for your phone number between the phones IMIE and the cars IMIE every time you connect disconnect which as far as Voda is concerned means you've got a new phone and they want to send you config details.

You can connect to an A7 with MMI touch in rSAP or non rSAP mode with a galaxy S series phone. You have either option. But online services will only work in rSAP mode.

Placing a SIM in the slot will disable the bluetooth for GSM activity, but with the latest software it does allow you to use the phone book from from your mobile in conjunction with the SIM (from 2012 only or with a software upgrade) This was to allow Iphone/non rSAP phones to transfer the personal phonebook to the car whilst using the SIM slot. So you know who's calling etc.

There is an rSAP app for Android available from the android market place with a trial period as well. I bought it when I had ICS without rSAP to make it work with the A7, then Samsung fixed the rSAP with later releases, but it allows non rSAP Android phones such as HTC to be used with the A7 in rSAP mode. There is a support forum for the Android/rSAP app to give you a good idea of the range of Android phones that will work well with rSAP.

Last edited:
There is an rSAP app for Android available from the android market place with a trial period as well. I bought it when I had ICS without rSAP to make it work with the A7, then Samsung fixed the rSAP with later releases, but it allows non rSAP Android phones such as HTC to be used with the A7 in rSAP mode. There is a support forum for the Android/rSAP app to give you a good idea of the range of Android phones that will work well with rSAP.

All great information thanks.

I have an HTC one x I looked at the rSAP app but your Phoebe needs to be rooted.. something I'm struggling to do / understand how to do..

I was looking to find a profile manager type app like llama for android that would automatically set call divert to another mobile number once contact with the mmi system happened. That way I could leave a sim in the dash for data and phone and my normal mobile number would transfer calls to it. Then once mmi connection is no longer present the divert is cancelled. Not sure if this is even possible

Not sure why Audi didn't do like BMW. Have an embedded sim for data and services free for 3 years. Then charge after that, then just allow bt connection for voice.

If you interested in meet/events in you area, link is below. :) x

​Midlands
Ignore me I've found the location. Old age and drink taking effect. :)
Sounds great but that link didn't work for me, could you try again please?

Last edited:
I got the MMI touch to work very nicely with my old Nexus One (rooted, running CynogenMod7 i.e. Gingerbread) - it did the satellite photo's for Googlemaps on the satnav and also the MiFi hotspot.

Last week I tried the same using my HTC One X+ in an A6 with MMI plus and found it quite restricted over bluetooth (no MiFi / online services), so looks like I'll have to root it and drop Cynogenmod10 on it to get those services again.

I got the MMI touch to work very nicely with my old Nexus One (rooted, running CynogenMod7 i.e. Gingerbread) - it did the satellite photo's for Googlemaps on the satnav and also the MiFi hotspot.

Last week I tried the same using my HTC One X+ in an A6 with MMI plus and found it quite restricted over bluetooth (no MiFi / online services), so looks like I'll have to root it and drop Cynogenmod10 on it to get those services again.

I'm struggling to root my HTC one x.. normally dont have issues doing this sort of thing. I actually purchased on Friday a Samsung s3. So will give that a go this week..

Hi,

MY14 Q5's allow simultaneous use of the SIM slot for data and iPhone hands free. And I have also been told there will be an update for older cars, but no date for that yet.

Hopefully this will be the case for the whole Audi range...

Not ideal still as you will have to pay for an extra SIM, but data only contracts are available for as little as £5 per month so it's not crazy money!

Will let you know when I get the update and will also see if my dealer knows about other models getting the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,

MY14 Q5's allow simultaneous use of the SIM slot for data and iPhone hands free. And I have also been told there will be an update for older cars, but no date for that yet.

Hopefully this will be the case for the while Audi range...

Not ideal still as you will have to pay for an extra SIM, but data only contracts are available for as little as £5 per month so it's not crazy money!

Will let you know when I get the update and will also see if my dealer knows about other models getting the same.

Good info.. thanks for the update, would be interested to see if a 2012 Audi A7 could get that update.. keep us posted please.

Hi,

Hopefully this will be the case for the whole Audi range...

Hey. any news about possible update for simultanious use of sim and iphone 5?

Jose - Apple are all but actively blocking the use of advanced Bluetooth features such as RSAP, it is not supported at a hardware or software level: I'm sure they will change their stance eventually as most modern cars require this feature for live traffic updates (via Google maps), streetview sat-nav pointers, Wi Fi hotspot, etc, but even then: this has to be supported by the hardware first and also the software - e.g. Android OS supports it out the box, but HTC have dropped hardware support from some models and if you can get it to work, it's not an advertised / support feature, while Samsung actively support this feature on most models. A real pain since I prefer the HTC hardware.

As stated previously: you lose all phone connectivity when RSAP is activated, but text messages get picked up by the car and just get your phone to connect to the car's wifi, so you retain e-mail and browsing access. I also get things like my son's tablet to log into the wifi and he streams Netflix :)

RSAP works perfectly out the box with most Samsung Android phones: I've tested perfectly with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 and if you look at their officially registered bluetooth specs*, it is supported by the Samsung Galaxy for the S4 mini would be a pretty direct swap in terms of spec, screen size etc for the top spec iPhones.

* Apple have never registered that their phones have this Bluetooth feature available, so it will likely be more than just an OS upgrade.

I have ditched the Nexus4 and the HTC One X+ and I am now using it with a Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505) and it was fine with the stock ROM and also with Cyanogenmod "11.2M2", which gives you the latest KitKat OS.

Last edited:
Jose - Apple are all but actively blocking the use of advanced Bluetooth features such as RSAP, it is not supported at a hardware or software level: I'm sure they will change their stance eventually as most modern cars require this feature for live traffic updates (via Google maps), streetview sat-nav pointers, Wi Fi hotspot, etc, but even then: this has to be supported by the hardware first and also the software - e.g. Android OS supports it out the box, but HTC have dropped hardware support from some models and if you can get it to work, it's not an advertised / support feature, while Samsung actively support this feature on most models. A real pain since I prefer the HTC hardware.

As stated previously: you lose all phone connectivity when RSAP is activated, but text messages get picked up by the car and just get your phone to connect to the car's wifi, so you retain e-mail and browsing access. I also get things like my son's tablet to log into the wifi and he streams Netflix :)

RSAP works perfectly out the box with most Samsung Android phones: I've tested perfectly with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 and if you look at their officially registered bluetooth specs*, it is supported by the Samsung Galaxy for the S4 mini would be a pretty direct swap in terms of spec, screen size etc for the top spec iPhones.

* Apple have never registered that their phones have this Bluetooth feature available, so it will likely be more than just an OS upgrade.

I have ditched the Nexus4 and the HTC One X+ and I am now using it with a Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505) and it was fine with the stock ROM and also with Cyanogenmod "11.2M2", which gives you the latest KitKat OS.

I think you missed the point.

We know the iPhone does not support rSAP, that is why I am waiting for the update from Audi to allow use of the SIM physically in the dash for data only, and have the iphone connected for handsfree calls at the same time.
There is a paid for jailbreak app that does allow software rSAP, it looks good on paper but I am yet to read anyone using it with an Audi (if I see it works I will likely pay for it and jailbreak my iPhone again, which I stopped doing at iOS5 as it had most of the features I had been jail breaking for built in).

I also own a galaxy S3, but it annoys me (for reasons not related to this thread). I have hooked it up via rSAP and it works fine as you say, but right now the phone is under my bed and it's SIM in the car dash.

Still as of a couple of weeks ago there is no update for MY13 cars to have the feature set of MY14 cars.

Fair call - sorry, although I addressed the iPhone part to you, but the general statement was in response to the original "how do I get all the features to work" request from UKTIVO and AFAIK no amount fo jailbreaking will ever get any iPhone to support RSAP in an Audi - there are similar hacks for some phones such as the HTC OneX+, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 that support RSAP at a software level, but the hardware isn't compatible with Audi's very strict bluetooth criteria.

I agree that it does seem strange that they completely block you from using bluetooth as soon as a dashboard SIM is installed. I wasn't aware that MY14 enabled that, but it would make sense - my dad collects his MY14 Q5 tonight and I HOPE he's followed my advice and gone for the MMI touch and bluetooth features, so I'll try to check how that is working as soon as I can.

The RSAP solution suited me better as I'm reluctant to get another unlimited data SIM as I'm not in the car THAT much, but if I'm using Google maps with all the features on and I'm streaming internet radio via my tablet/phone or my son is playing Netflix I know that I can hammer the data pretty hard - 1Gb+ in a couple of hours' drive.

In case anybody else is considering the SIM in the dashboard solution, then assuming there hasn't been a software fix for current BT issue that you're trying to get Audi to fix, this will also cause issues with streaming BT audio back into the car too, won't it?

Last edited:
I connect my iPhone as a Bluetooth directory so I have all my contacts names/numbers/addresses, but calls go via the dash sim. It also works fine for audio steaming (I use it everyday this way), the only profiles that are blocked when the sim is in the dash are handsfree and car phone (aka rSAP).

RE the jailbreak solution... http://iphone-rsap.com/faq.php

If your Dad has MY14 and 'high' Bluetooth then it will be all good with an iphone if he has one, but will need an extra sim in the dash for online of course. The Q5 has no touchscreen/pad option btw...(unlike the A6/7 mouse-like touchpad).

...but will need an extra sim in the dash for online of course.

Nah - he's going to upgrade his phone: he was getting so fed up with his music being locked to his iPhone and was so impressed with my Galaxy S4 that he's likely to upgrade to an S4 mini soon - I've explained that it's a slower phone, but I think the nail in the coffin was the iPhone cable hijinx where they changed for another non-stnadard cable and the fact that all the 3rd party accessories he bought have now been rendered useless by the last iOS upgrade. The icing on the cake was that RSAP will work out the box, so he would rather pay for a new phone outright than buy another SIM card because Apple refuse to relinquish any control over their customers by allowing RSAP (by your account, the hardware does support it - but Apple are blocking it!).

Reactions: josedebardi
Tell him not to touch the S4 mini, same as S3 mini I got & gave to my brother, no ambient alight sensor, so it will be a pita mostly with vast battery usage, S5 is out shortly so grab that or an S3/4 are my suggestions.

Tell him not to touch the S4 mini, same as S3 mini I got & gave to my brother, no ambient alight sensor, so it will be a pita mostly with vast battery usage, S5 is out shortly so grab that or an S3/4 are my suggestions.

Ta - I'll suggest he waits. If nothing else, the others will be discounted once the S5 is out. Surprised that you disliked it that much, the S4 mini spec didn't look as compromised as the S3 mini. Problem is that he likes the smaller form factor... maybe an S2 will keep him happy: a little dated, but with a decent dual core CPU, 16Gb onboard storage and a 32Gb SD micro....

Its just the ambient sensor lack of, without, the battery will deflate very quickly.