Just thought i'd leave this here..

Ben_Lucas43

Contemplating trip to the Ring
Reaction score
1 full tank.
11052010153.jpg

And i'm not empty yet..

Impressive. I have had 380 from my 2.8 30v before when I drove her to Liverpool and back. But that was pure motorways obviously in fifth gear doing about 70 the whole way. Around town I will be lucky to get half that.

wtf. how did you drive like miss daisy for that long?

Jeeez... that's brilliant. I don't get anywhere near that in my 1.8T...!

Yee, i drive like Miss Daisy..
I wanted to prove to my mrs that i could make a tank last at least 3 weeks..
I did it and now i'm 'allowed' to put some more in lol

Dis says average is 20.1, but it used to say 15.7 when i bought it about 2 months ago!

Any long motorway trip should be able to manage that kinda mileage.

Craigs was doing around 29mpg when he drove to GTI, which would have given about 400miles had he run the tank right down. We stopped a few times and filled up where we could get super at sensible prices though, so it never dropped much below about half a tank.

I've had 420miles out of the old 1.8T with 20miles left on the DIS, and the FWD's have a smaller tank i think. Need to see what the quattro can do on a run.

mine gets 29mpg basically regardless on a long motorway trip if you cruise between 70-85

i got 350-360 from a tank, but to drive so sensibly for so long... i just cant get my head around that

top score fella

Miss daisy, or just not like a ****....Says it all! Besides, your saving yourself money too mara! Fair PLAY!

Hmmmm... that's weird. My DIS says average of 31mpg... and I'm not getting 400 miles out of a tank though!

well how much fuel do you fit in when the DIS says 0 miles (or close to zero)?

Its a 12 gallon tank on a FWD iirc, and when ours got right down to 0 miles we could only ever get about 11.2-11.3 gallons in there (which when you consider the filler neck and pipework etc means theres probably still at least gallon in there when it says 0miles.

If your sender is dicky, maybe it shows empty with more than a gallon left?

I always calculate my mileage manually. reset the trip meter when i fill, then work it out when i next fill using mileage and fuel added. It'll do about 34-35 on the motorway, 32ish mixed and 28-29 around town.

Yee, i always reset mine and only managed about 300 max when first got it.. But i did like to drive it fast back then...

When i filled mine up from way below zero i could only manage 52 ltrs.. and its a 62ltr tank no?

I dont think i'll ever do this again, it was a 'so there' to the mrs..

When i first bought it i managed Heathrow to Grimsby on half a tank, which included a top speed run..

ah my mistake, its 62L on a FWD and 60 on a Quattro.

So even the 11.3 gallons i was getting on the FWD was miles from actually being empty!

35 is seriously impressive, but the maths dont work. The tank holds 60L of fuel, which is 13.2 gallons. So assuming you drained the tank dry, and used all 60L you managed 30.3mpg.

How did you get 35?

Pretty bad tbh.. Every boy racer at the lights, every Diesel 5 series on the motorway.. :(

I hated it, but loved proving the wifey wrong!

Plus i couldn't afford to put more in, so made it last..

My last fill up in my 1.8t cost me £71 and it was completely brimmed. 460miles later and i filled up again when the needle wasnt even rising on the gauge. I do around 63 miles a day Bedford to St Ives, Cambridge and back again. Usually start stop traffic in the middle 10 miles or so of the journey. Rest of it is either 70 on dual carriageways or 30 through villages. That was pushing it though but generally i average around 440 to a tank every. 460 to £71 worked out to be 38mpg.

I've not filled mine up from being empty to being full...ever. Usually stop at £60 as my pocket starts crying then!

Will have to put some in tonight for my trip over to Manchester and back tomorrow. Will zero my trip and see what I get on a long run... just for fun!

Heres me trying to convince myself that i shouldnt get an s4 as it will cost much more in fuel,Thats not helping my argument much. I get about 36mpg on a run. Most i have had from a tank is just over 400 but the fuel light wasnt on yet.

they really dont drink that badly, but what he got is just mad