Just testdrive the new golf GTI

nervus

Reaction score
I didnt get as long as i would have liked and the sales bint insisted on coming with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif but i quite liked the way they looked so took a testdrive.

The think the checkerd seats are fantastic and the seating position is perfect, you can really get the seat to the floor, unlike the S3. The steering wheel and gearstick look great too.

It felt really agile on country roads and the wheels would light up easily coming out of tight turns in 2nd (it was wet) and the car likes to initially understeer but similar to the CTR i had when you lift off you can get the backend to oversteer slightly to get back in shape then plant it again. The steering felt really responsive and gave the impression the car was really light and accurate. The straight line performance feels a bit dissapointing but there is a loverly note to the exaust on full thottle. It is by no means slow but i feel the boost is fed in really smoothly and gradually from low down. There is no aggressive 'all in one delivery' like the S3 which will suit most. The turbo must be either tiny or running little boost. Personally i think 197hp from a 2L turbo is pathetic lets hope the chip tuners sort it out. The gearchange is precise and quick.
The interest the car had, and the amount of sales already (14 from my dealer since monday) suggests they are going to be like dog **** on the local common - all over the place which also puts me off it. To summerise its a huge improvement on what a GTI should be unfortunately they have misunderstood we simply want more bang for bucks and at £20k its less equiped and less fun than a £14k 182 or a £16k CTR

My mate's dad bought one a week ago and he loves it. Have to say, I'm not a fan of the 18(?) inch wheels they have as standard, they just look too 'in ya face'. I don't really like the new GTI either. Was in one when it was being test driven (too young to even be considered to drive it) and I agree with most of your points. It does have fairly good acceleration and is brilliant on the twisties but it just felt like something wasnt there. There was massive turbo lag too. I'm not really a fan of the cloth (check?) part of the seats, just looks so old fashioned. The dash is nice though.

I say, if anyone is considering one of these, wait for the new R32/R34 model!

only 197bhp.. i thought they were nearer 240 bhp for some reason??!!

i was thinking of a test drive soon.. not cause i want one... i to believe they will be far too comon!

they are pretty low on the spec list though.... leather is optional.. as are xenons and all other little things that can easily push it over £24k!!

Im going to test drive one soon. AmD are chipping them to around the 250bhp mark i think which i would think will be a vast improvement. There is apparently supposed to be very little lag in it!

Rich

Yeah, the spec i wanted would have took it to £24K. There seemed NO turbo lag at all, it must come in very early or very gradually or be running very low boost. It cant be running much to be 2Litre and only 197bhp. Its quoted as 200PS which = 197bhp!

The R34 sounds nice!