Just sheared a dogbone bolt

Tripp

Reaction score
bit of a crisis - I have sheered off one of the bolts that connects to dogbone mount to the tranny whilst trying to replace the bushing.

im probably going to take it to the garage to get the bolt removed and retapped but I thought id ask if im ok to drive whilst its only being held in place with one bolt now.

annoyingly im up in leeds for xmas and my local garage is down in london.

anyone know any good independant audi garages in leeds so I dont have to take it to a halfrauds.

i did the same when i replaced mine a few weeks ago and its holding up fine so far

Reactions: Tripp
ur only on one bolt still?

ive stopped work on the mount, dont want to risk shearing the other bolt removing it, so the bushing will have to wait for now

yeah just 1 bolt tightened back up nicely and the other one got half tight and started to thread so i just left it in there like that

The bolts do not sheer in the subframe, only in the mount.

If you sheer both of them you can smash the mount free and undo the bolts with vise grips.

He'd be doing well to sheer them, they're pretty big bolts. Fair play if he has.

It's very common to sheer the ones in the subframe, because of the ally mount corroding onto the bolts.

He'd be doing well to sheer them, they're pretty big bolts. Fair play if he has.

It's very common to sheer the ones in the subframe, because of the ally mount corroding onto the bolts.

You are correct, I have sheared the bolt connecting to the sub frame (the smaller ones, my mistake)

As 16Klappe says I think it has sheared in the mount itself so I may attempt to remove the other bolt and grab the sheared bolt with vice grips.

anyone know the type of bolt so I can buy a new pair to fit.

cheers

Mine are held in with driveshaft flange bolts, M8 thread.

Mine are held in with driveshaft flange bolts, M8 thread.

ok cool, is there any particular length bolt I need? may actually ring local audi centre and see what they have

UPDATE: spent 3hours banging and spraying with penetrating grease and prying with a screwdriver (only thing narrow enough) today and finally removed the mount from the corroded bolt.

annoyingly i was able to undo the rest of the bolt with my fingers - it was heavily rusted and I was worried the threads would be too damaged for the new bolt but its all installed and torqued up and everything seems good.

I can feel the difference to responsiveness - yes there is a bit more idle vibration but I expect that to fade over the next few weeks.

cheers all

This was mine.....was a right f***er....
C714FE69-CD36-47DF-963F-BEF4C7A65DAA-2914-000003CA223B2340_zpsd48c46e9.jpg
8E3E1C3B-A63E-4602-B43C-4776331010E3-2914-000003CA13300D58_zps08de9ace.jpg

Reactions: S3_OL
^^ouch - that puts things into perspective...

I did the same thing the other day tightening up the mount to the gearbox the front smaller bolt wouldn't tighten, took it back out and the good news was its threaded its self, so gotta re tap it now grrr. Thought it was going too good as it only took 15 minutes to do

I just did the same thing... can anyone who had the same problem shed some light on where to get hold of the right bolts? Audi dealer best bet? or any garage?

I just did the same thing... can anyone who had the same problem shed some light on where to get hold of the right bolts? Audi dealer best bet? or any garage?

Pretty sure they're only an M8 bolt, as long as its the right grade and length you can get them from any garage really, although from audi you will get the exact one

Pretty sure they're only an M8 bolt, as long as its the right grade and length you can get them from any garage really, although from audi you will get the exact one

OK thanks, i'll ring around tomorrow...