Charlie Farley's 350BHP & beyond 2.0tfsi BUL Engine and K03/4 upgrade project, maybe just 300bhp now.

If I remember right I paid about 1200 for mine. 3" custom turbo back, sounded great and looked good

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I'm hoping to get the enlarged K03 housing back next week so hopefully crack on with the turbo build part of the project.:yahoo:

To be honest I don't think there was much difference that I recall, apart from the car was a bit quieter,
as I said Rob, I was glad the decat pipe was removed,
The 034 Cat would be good, if it did have such a **** cat, what a waste off money.

To be honest I don't think there was much difference that I recall, apart from the car was a bit quieter,
as I said Rob, I was glad the decat pipe was removed,
The 034 Cat would be good, if it did have such a **** cat, what a waste off money.

Do you have a res or non res miltek Richard, i'm just contemplating gutting the 034 as an experiment , noise level wise it maynot to much difference to the intact 034 cat when used with a res based setup.

Afternoon chaps, reviving this thread again as it seems appropriate now.
I know I've been on and off this project more times than I can remember but I've been spurred on again by other similar projects recently and the tinkering part of me just cannot let it go..lol

So as we know the old bus is currently around the 270 mark and it does go well, for the most part that is.
I'm still not fully sure going upwards in the bhp dept is really the best plan but I need to scratch the itch, I'm thinking 325 ish as a sensible and reliable figure.
If I can increase things from the current 270 which is fine to be honest, it gets down the road like stink, by another 50-60 bhp then that will be very nice.

It's easy to go for big numbers and then that reliable old bus becomes a problematic and unreliable old bus, which is what I do not want, some extra ponies to satisfy my project side with a bit of extra welly for the satisfaction part of me.:yes:

So I'm thinking of the best route to take, I don't plan on throwing shed loads of cash at it this time around, just enough to get a reliable setup that works well and still have a user-friendly old bus.
This project is never a cheap low-cost undertaking but its very easy to let things get out of control and ending up spending more and more and then just getting sick of things, I don't want that, I want to get it done for a sensible price in a sensible time frame so I can enjoy the car, not to have it laid up for months.

So that is the new 2021 revived project plan.:thumbs up:

Upwards and onwards then.

Rob

Just been reading a few online threads on different sites re BBT hybrids, there have been issues with owners not getting any help or support from BBT and turbo's failing.
Given @Dan_Avant has also had similar issues i may give BBT's a miss.

Just been reading a few online threads on different sites re BBT hybrids, there have been issues with owners not getting any help or support from BBT and turbo's failing.
Given @Dan_Avant has also had similar issues i may give BBT's a miss.
CTS and JHM are the only viable options for a k04 to be honest Rob there be more reliable and efficient than ko3/4 hybrid, 325hp will be really easy with a half about decent set up your stock middle and end exhaust will be fine so your cut cost there and more than likely that smaller fmic i remember you having, just fit injectors, hpfp and turbo and your be good to go and relatively cheap cost wise.

One area I do wish address is the oil cooler.
I've had quick snoop on the webby and found this.

Upload 2021 2 7 20 49 54

And yes this part of my ever increasing b7 project list is still happening, just beavering away in the background. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Dan_Avant and i3oricua
Will a k04 64 s3 complete turbo work from a low mileage S3 cdl engine work with s3 inj etc to give 300bhp plus ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will a k04 64 s3 complete turbo work from a low mileage S3 cdl engine work with s3 inj etc to give 300bhp plus ???

Yes it will but the turbo isn’t a direct fit.

There’s slight variations on the hot side of the turbo so it won’t pair up to a K03 specific cat/exhaust and you will need to relocate the DV as it’s integral on a K03 but separate on a K04

Reactions: WOMBLERULZ
So I'm back on this project again, well i'd like to do something towards it.
I've a few pennies spare to spend on the old bus and with the new go faster rims maybe a few BHP would be only right .
I'll put my thinking cap back on . :yahoo:

Reactions: Rob Avant and i3oricua
So I'm back on this project again, well i'd like to do something towards it.
I've a few pennies spare to spend on the old bus and with the new go faster rims maybe a few BHP would be only right .
I'll put my thinking cap back on . :yahoo:
Didn’t you sell all the bits?

venom list a longitudinal hybrid these days

Some s3 injectors, HPFP and Rick’s remote tune should have you running 300+ in a weekend.

Do FMIC and decat later

Reactions: Taveeeeesh and Sidrick
Hi all,

new here 1st post, reply or whatever. Been reading this build thread for a while so thanks as it motivated me to mod my old bus too! Same car as yours sline SE Bul engined quattro avant. I have the venom turbo installed (got lucky on ebay and bagged one for 350! Brand spanking new too) and am in the process of installing the S3 injectors, have already done the runner flap mod and will be manually carbon cleaning the valves tomorrow before reassembling. Then i need to decide on who to get it mapped by.

Some s3 injectors, HPFP and Rick’s remote tune should have you running 300+ in a weekend.

Do FMIC and deca

Reactions: Inertiauk and Charlie Farley

Do FMIC and decat later
some but not all, i tend to squirrel bits away for a rainy day, I expect there are many of those to come now.

Hi all,

new here 1st post, reply or whatever. Been reading this build thread for a while so thanks as it motivated me to mod my old bus too! Same car as yours sline SE Bul engined quattro avant. I have the venom turbo installed (got lucky on ebay and bagged one for 350! Brand spanking new too) and am in the process of installing the S3 injectors, have already done the runner flap mod and will be manually carbon cleaning the valves tomorrow before reassembling. Then i need to decide on who to get it mapped by.
Also fitted a rs4 prv and did the 5mm drill mod on the hpfp. Also installed VIS hpfp internals. Anyone heard of pegasus intake manifolds? Supposedly a HPA copy??

Still on my to-do list for this project.
Saw this website today with a kit that on the surface seems like a good compromise, an upgrade over the 270 ish but not bonkers too much at 330 ish, that's s4 territory without the weight and v8 running cost.
Seems to be priced in line with most kits on the market offering similar spec and performance increases.

Any thoughts chaps.

Reactions: Bobbytea
Looks like a good option for some S4 power bud. 330bhp and what kind of torque?

With that kind of power would you stick with the standard 50/50 T2 torsen diff? I’d love to upgrade to a T3 with the 60/40 split RWD balance. Would improve the driving dynamics no end.

Do it.
Turbozentrum use a full size Ko4-0064 frame so it should flow a little bit better and be less stressed than the other hybrids on the market.

Looks like a good option for some S4 power bud. 330bhp and what kind of torque?

With that kind of power would you stick with the standard 50/50 T2 torsen diff? I’d love to upgrade to a T3 with the 60/40 split RWD balance. Would improve the driving dynamics no end.

I’ve just mounted a S4 gearbox (0A3) in my DTM so I could use an RS4 T3 centre Diff, it’s a nice upgrade but car will still power understeer even with the JHM helical rear diff and 24mm H&R RARB

Further I have a K04 turbine housing that I’ve machined out tk take 5% oversized 9 blade K04 wheel, new mellet bearing housing and a k04 billet wheel with stock k04 inducer and oversized exducer 7+7 in that I machined the k03 compressor housing to fit. So far tuning it myself I’ve got up to about 300hp going on the MAF airflow, this seems be limit for the k03 injectors and hpfp. I’ve just tried today increasing the rail pressure from 110bar to 120bar as I’m running out of fuel around 5000rpm at 1.3bar boost. Tomorrow I will load this tune and replace my fuel filter, if this works I’m going try increasing boost to 1.5 bar, up to 4500 and keep at 1.3 to redline. I doubt I’ll get over 300 on stock injectors and fuel pump but if work I might buy just hpfp internals and RS4 FPV to try max out where can get to k03 injectors

Then I will try to decide on weather to use S3, RS3 or RS4 injectors, last two those have own set issues

Reactions: Bobbytea and Bradderz_1988
Still on my to-do list for this project.
Saw this website today with a kit that on the surface seems like a good compromise, an upgrade over the 270 ish but not bonkers too much at 330 ish, that's s4 territory without the weight and v8 running cost.
Seems to be priced in line with most kits on the market offering similar spec and performance increases.

Any thoughts chaps.
I've narrowed down after a good amount of research to go with this kit , but add in other mods not included with the kit , plus a decent custom remap should get me to around a safe 400 bhp.

looks like the wallet is going to get a bit of extra use again.

Reactions: antwan64og, Bobbytea and i3oricua
So this project is still on my to-do list.
It's been stalled for a few months whilst i deal with other issues but now seems like as good an opportunity to resume things.

I suspect my original clutch is starting to wear now and will be due for a replacement sooner than later, there is no way it will last long after the uprated parts have been fitted.
My plan is to get the clutch replaced in the next few months, before Xmas, by then all the remaining parts needed will all be here and ready to move onto fitting then remap, well that's my plan, which is always subject to change of course:yes:
i'm organising the turbo kit next week , and a few other bits.

I would normally do the clutch myself but I just can't be dealing with hassle of working on my back under the old bus with that lump, I'm no spring chicken now..lol

will do the rest of the mods , then get it mapped by AMD near me, i'm hoping to when finished to have a useable 350 -375bhp, thats plenty to be getting on with.:yahoo:
thats S4 territory and knocking on rs4's door without the V8 running cost etc.

• Love
Reactions: Rob Avant and NM07
My new silver OZ's have arrived in the UK today so that's kinda spurred me into getting the rest done now. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Rob Avant and NM07
A look at my checklist of parts needed reveals i'm in need of a few bits, putting the turbo kit to one side.

I will need a new exhaust system now but retain my quad tips.
Oil cooler upgrade
HPFP as the one I had seems to have gone on a walkabout ...which is a pain.
some s3 injectors as I sold the last set to a mate, another mistake there..lol

i have a new larger FMIC etc.

Reactions: tr7 and Fully
I'm excited to see the project is back on Rob, will be watching with interest! Really like the idea of S4 power, but without the 4.2 V8 drawbacks and running costs.

A look at my checklist of parts needed reveals i'm in need of a few bits, putting the turbo kit to one side.

I will need a new exhaust system now but retain my quad tips.
Oil cooler upgrade
HPFP as the one I had seems to have gone on a walkabout ...which is a pain.
some s3 injectors as I sold the last set to a mate, another mistake there..lol

i have a new larger FMIC etc.
Let me know if you find a decent price on the S3 injectors, they are one of my last missing pieces!

I'm excited to see the project is back on Rob, will be watching with interest! Really like the idea of S4 power, but without the 4.2 V8 drawbacks and running costs.
Yep, it has been an on-and-off project for a long time, probably more down to me just chopping and changing..lol
A lot of guys just say it's a waste of time and money on an old car, which it way well be to them but we are all different and have different expectations from our cars.

The old bus is not worth much these days but it's reliable and in good condition overall so potentially it is a good candidate for some tinkering.
If I have to spend a few pounds to get something just that little bit different then why not.

happy days:yahoo:

• Love
Reactions: NM07 and Jcbmally
Seems the turbo kits are 3 week min waiting time on a preorder basis, oh well , i still need other bits before i need the turbo kit.

Yep, it has been an on-and-off project for a long time, probably more down to me just chopping and changing..lol
A lot of guys just say it's a waste of time and money on an old car, which it way well be to them but we are all different and have different expectations from our cars.

The old bus is not worth much these days but it's reliable and in good condition overall so potentially it is a good candidate for some tinkering.
If I have to spend a few pounds to get something just that little bit different then why not.

happy days:yahoo:
I'm in the same boat Rob, my old barge is only worth probably £4k-£5k nowadays, but I love it, has all the features I could want, and drives beautifully. If I were to upgrade, the next car I'd want would be a newer A3 saloon which would cost me around £10k, and wouldn't offer me any more than my B7 does aside from being newer, so would rather put a bit of cash into making it the best it can be and keep it for the long haul. Makes me happy to see other people have the same mindset too. :) Plus tinkering keeps me happy lol

Reactions: Rob Avant, tr7 and Charlie Farley
I'm still awaiting confirmation on the turbo kit , nothing from them as of friday, if there's a problem then i'll look elsewhere i think.

Reactions: NM07