Charlie Farley's 2.0tfsi Full PCV Delete project, and why you need to do it too.

The vacuum line isn't , you need it , but there is nothing gained by not using the oem vacuum line pass through , unless your VC has a vacuum leak which is not unheard of.
Sometimes the seal of the inner plate on the VC can develop leaks , in turn leading a vacuum loss in one or more of the chambers.
The leaks tend to be in the pcv pass through port section for some reason, but can be in the vacuum line pass through.
The ports are connected just not through the VC, i rerouted the ports via an external pipe, so according to your info im still good.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

you will be as long as your joints are nice and air tight.:icon thumright:

Reactions: Donfero
Hi rob new here. I've read all of your post on pcv delete. But I'm not sure which one to do. So which one is the best setup you have done so far.

I’ve been watching this for ages and contemplating this. Now my ****** PCV has failed on me there is no other option. Come on Rob hook up the boys with your new remastered design we are all interested :)

I’ve been watching this for ages and contemplating this. Now my ****** PCV has failed on me there is no other option. Come on Rob hook up the boys with your new remastered design we are all interested :)
Yeah Rob we are all waiting

I've not had the interest guys, yes a few of you have shown interest but not really enough to justify doing a batch run as yet.

I've not had the interest guys, yes a few of you have shown interest but not really enough to justify doing a batch run as yet.
Why not market the blueprint?

Emptied out the catch can today, the stuff in there was light brown smelling like fuel, is that bad??

just think how much more efficient the combustion will be now without the addition of all that nastiness.

hello Rob.i hope you are well these days. Hopefully life will be some what regular again. any ways I am still rockin my Brilliant black as well. had to replace the turbo cause of a cracked manifold ( Really Cracked)! I am still running your original set up! with my own time will tell observation mods. One thing i am experimenting with is a second baffled can/Aluminum bottle packed with steel wool on the turbo side PCV what i had noticed was i was still getting oil at the base of my TIP and in my intercooler's. Not as much but sill enough to bother me. with the original stock set up the braided metal tube goes down into the turbo. down is what i found works well. because even with my lines plumb there would be a considerable amount of oil in the line and it would just sit there over time. i also noticed the rear PCV hardly has any oil residue in the line. When i would take my can out to clean it( which is every 2-3 weeks) i would notice fresh oil build up inside the return hose and fitting to TIP. so my idea is to trap the gases in an aluminum water bottle modifed to filter even more of the oil. so the oil exits into a bottle flat with steel wool packed in pretty good( but not to much to restict air flow). then after the steel wool i placed a oil sponge ( like used in our lawnmowers) right before the exit line going back to the can to even restict more oil before it hit the can! I also bored out the inlet holes inside the can to allow more flow. so far it appears to be doing its job. i dont have excess oil in the line going to the can..what i am working on also is a can like ours but with actual 19mm ins and outs!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Yep, i'm very well thanks.
It is always nice to see someone tinkering with a setup until it works just right. My original setup did the job very well but was always going to be a work in progress project, some parts worked well and other less so , but that's how a product evolves really.
It has evolved into a very good system now and I have almost zero oil residual from a much more compact setup so very pleased with how it turned out.
I did have plans to market the final version but for now i'm just sitting on the design , and with things the way they are I doubt it would be on anyones priority list.
Maybe later in the year, so watch this space.
Have a good one.
rob

Reactions: boffin486
Right on Rob ! glad to hear your well. Tough times don't last..But tough people do!

Reactions: Dan_Avant
Rob's full PCV delete kit on Škoda Octavia RS.......OUT from OCT is back to the original turbo inlet, Hope it will work fine

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_140708_copy_1152x864.jpg
    IMG_20200523_140708_copy_1152x864.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_20200523_140738_copy_864x1152.jpg
    IMG_20200523_140738_copy_864x1152.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 676
Hi Rob,

Just spent most of today reading through this thread.

Many thanks for the hard work and dedication on doing this.

I have a MK5 Golf GTI track car, I run the front Forge PCV Delete kit and have been experiencing issues recently with a very oily and smelly exhaust gases on deceleration. I believe this is because I haven't deleted the rear part of the PCV?

I'm hoping you can supply me a front PCV blanking plate, if not I'm hoping I can modify my Forge one.

Also, question with the can. Am I able to run a 2 port can and have a breather on the can instead of venting back to the TIP/turbo? Do you think this will work?

There's just one last thing I'm not 100% on, the small pipe to the left of the front PCV does this need modifying in anyway?

Many Thanks,

Shannon.

So then , a bit of an update for those following this.
If you want to eliminate even more nastyness getting recycled into your combustion cycle, try a piggyback tank setup.
Both tanks can be different sizes, it makes no odds, it's the effect of the second tank that is important.
By fitting that second tank , even if it is a fraction of the main tank size , it will act like a fine filter and catch the last dreggs that get past the primary tank.
One tank setups work very well but still don't catch everything.
So if you feel like a new project , add a secondary tank inline to the primary tank.:icon thumright::yes:

Boa Tarde, sou Brasileiro e encontrei aqui muito informação importante, grato pelo tempo empenhado nesses testes.
tenho um passat b6 2.0 fsi turbo e estou fazendo uma grande manutenção, parte dela é resultado do sistema pcv, que impregnou tudo no motor, em breve irei eliminar esse sistema com as dicas que encontrei aqui.
ancioso para ver o resultado do novo kit Rob.

I think we need a translation.., i've got passat B6 fsi turbo , but thats it..lol

Boa Tarde, sou Brasileiro e encontrei aqui muito informação importante, grato pelo tempo empenhado nesses testes.
tenho um passat b6 2.0 fsi turbo e estou fazendo uma grande manutenção, parte dela é resultado do sistema pcv, que impregnou tudo no motor, em breve irei eliminar esse sistema com as dicas que encontrei aqui.
ancioso para ver o resultado do novo kit Rob.

Here we go , all done:thumbs up:

‎Good Afternoon, I am Brazilian and found here much important information, grateful for the time committed to these tests. ‎
‎ I have a passat b6 2.0 fsi turbo and I'm doing a great maintenance, part of it is a result of the pcv system, which impregnated everything in the engine, soon I will eliminate this system with the tips I found here. ‎
‎ to see the result of the new Rob kit.‎

Last edited:
Hi, I'm using Rob's full PCV delete system for some time and it works fine. Each weekend is OCT full of "engine fluid" which smells like mixed oil and gas. I have probably too small OCT. Maximum is 2 dcl of fluid so I have to clear it really often. But cooler and intake are like a new one without any oil etc
So thanks to Rob for this thread.
I'll upload some pics.

Some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_152950_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20200610_152950_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20200610_153009_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20200610_153009_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_20200604_155458_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20200604_155458_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20200604_155529_copy_1382x1036.jpg
    IMG_20200604_155529_copy_1382x1036.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20200610_153003_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20200610_153003_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 439
Do you have a drain tap fitted to the tank?
If not it would be a good idea just to reduce the amount of times you need to remove the cannister, removing the cannister once every few months is fine to keep the micro filter clear , the drain tap will help weekly for draining out the nasty stuff.

Hi, another winter OCT experience. In Czech is now really cold and I have problem with frozen OCT. Due to my short drives to work and back, the OCT catches a lot water. Ice from OCT I can remove easily, but I have problem with rear up hose (original from head to turbo). The hose was 2x times completely frozen, full of ice. I'm thinking about to closed this hose and open front up one instead of it (original PCV system). I can reach and clean this hose easier than the back one. I Will change the OCT position as well. Probably somewhere next to the air filter, so the OCT hoses from engine could be shorter. Only the hose from OCT to the turbo intake will have still the same length. Can I try this I will post some pics....

Frozen OCT

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_150734_copy_768x576.jpg
    IMG_20210131_150734_copy_768x576.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20210131_150844_copy_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20210131_150844_copy_768x1024.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20210131_150709_copy_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20210131_150709_copy_768x1024.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 347
Can I change/switch the rear up hose for the front up??? The rest of OCT system will be without any change. Thnks for advice B.

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_214721.jpg
    IMG_20210212_214721.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Hi, it must be cold then but it does also highlight the amount of water vapour etc in the system.
I'll have a think, glad you brought this to our attention aswell as for you owners in colder climates a work around will be required.

Other than the ice problem , which is a first so far, how are you finding the setup?

I'm thinking a bypass link pipe, short as possible which you can use in your colder region.

So, I tried to close rear up and open front up..... We will see morning
Due to covid, I cannot buy right pipe, so this is just for try and Red silikon hoses ordered

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_163414_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20210213_163414_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20210213_163353_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    IMG_20210213_163353_copy_1382x1843.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 360
So, I tried to close rear up and open front up..... We will see morning
Due to covid, I cannot buy right pipe, so this is just for try and Red silikon hoses ordered

Just curious about the input and output of your oil catch can. Is it one input and two output? as i notice you have a pipe connecting to the intake pipe and another one connected to the one under the intake manifold.

Hi,
I have 2 In, 1 out OCT.
It's Rob's pcv delete system with one diference. I closed rear up pipe (originaly leads to the turbo housing). I had there 90° knee up and I had "ice problem" due to the frozen weather in our country. So I closed this and open the front up.
Pipe from engine bottom without any change.
Tried this set up in - 20 degrees and no problem. I had to take out small filter in OCT, due to the same problem.

Hey so I was looking at doing a simple can system for now to at least maybe reap some benefits from having a can. And eventually ill have a full understanding of parts etc if this a,aging delete system you’ve created. Now, I’m not as engineerical in this same sense as making this thing look like it belongs on the bay And I’d like to be able to keep my cover intact. Anyway, im curious is it possible to just run a 1-in 1-out, can inline with the current PCV / intake. Or do you have to block Off the intake? Also, did you ever release a parts list or kit rob? Shipping to the states would probably be crazy, but I’m trying to see how inexpensively this can be done with a budget can. I feel like a can is better than no can (even if I didn’t buy a higher end can. I have two cans sitting at my house that I got $20 Ea and one is exactly the same as your small mishimoto.

if It is possible to run it inline with the OE system, you think you’d be able to re use the OE rebreather hose, I’ve tried to see if there are those quick connect ends sold separately since practically every PCV system uses the same end. So yea, if they are not sold separately, cut them off run a reducer between it and a new hose, going to the can - same process from can to intake. voila? this would all Involve placing the can on the intake side with the coolant reservoir .

idk maybe I’m grasping at straws. Also, I’m on stock turbo etc. no other mods, except replacing the airbox pipe with a PVC.
attached are pics of the two cans I have-

Attachments

• 75612F9C-A5DC-4089-BAAE-E77045112A3E.jpeg
    75612F9C-A5DC-4089-BAAE-E77045112A3E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 303
Reactions: Heh
@Sketchmedic I'll take the liberty of replying here, I'm new here as well. I have 2.0TFSI and the few times I had the PCV hoses off and the amount of shi*e that's in them makes me want to install catch can and then decoke the engine, clean pipes and intercooler etc..

From what I gather so far, from reading this topic and countless others and "SHIRO-PCV-system-explained" on another forum, which helped me understand the PCV system due to illustrations (despite being technically minded I couldn't wrap my head around why does it need to pass under/inside the rocker cover, turns out it's jsut the VAG way), before I learned to understand the font > rear PCV and that the rear is basically just passage from the front I wanted to do 2 catch can setup because I was under the impression this is a separate circuit.

Yes you can add catch can inline with an existing system, and that is either before the integrated oil separator (the bump behind relief valve) and keeping the stock relief valve (no adaptation plate needed) or in place of the stock relief valve (you'd need the plate with 3 holes).
As others pointed out however it may be a good idea to verify that the PCV path doesn't have a leak inside the rocker cover.

I registered so I could ask @I'm Just Rob. whether he still runs the same system or something else now, and if the same how does it perform 3 years in?
Also it may be just me but pipe OD isn't indicative of its ID hence I'm a bit confused did you tap larger threads on the can itself or just have large hose barbs to small ones?

The Czech guy, @BrickRS Ahoj! So after you removed the filter and moved your hoses around does it still freeze?
Looking at your pics it's crankcase -> catch can, front PCV -> catch can; catch can -> turbo inlet
Where does the pipe from rear PCV outlet go, or is it just blanked?

I'm running a similar setup now but with some subtle mods and it works great,
I can say that when i was running the previous setup it also worked very well and in its last revised format i had no issues at all for the time it was fitted.
I decided i wanted a system that was as effective if not moreso but without the level of hardware from serious incantations, i managed to fulfil that with great success.
I'll share it at some point soon but i don't want anyone stealing my design just yet so you will all have to wait a bit I'm afraid, I've made that mistake before so not a second time. :yes:

Reactions: palmgrooves
Thanks for the reply, great write up and a lot of info and inspiration to take in from you and other members as well.
Really appreciate it. The pics do help a lot as well.

I've ordered 3 port catch can but may ending up going 2 port only, blanking plate, need to get hoses and fittings,
possibly considering a tandem can setup as well, but I will see first how will the below work.

Still need to get my head around few other things but for now I'm thinking: manifold return delete; crankcase => catch can => cam cover, to keep pressures equal since the integrated oil separator dumps there too, you technically don't need to filter oil out of what goes to the cam cover since that goes back down to the crank case/oil pan, I do however hope to catch water vapor and blow by at least, and the 3rd outlet will go to the turbo charge pipe.
Yes I know the 3 port CC has 2 ins but what's there to stop circulation between crank case and cam cover and when the turbo spools that'll be pulling it from the CC outlet to turbo charge pipe. I may install 1 way valve on the side to turbo so air goes only in turbo direction when under vacuum but that shouldn't be necessary.

The rear PCV outlet on the rocker cover will be blanked since that's just a passage from the front.

Hey Rob, is your PCV delete kit ready for sale yet? Had my eyes peeled for a while

I'm running a similar setup now but with some subtle mods and it works great,
I can say that when i was running the previous setup it also worked very well and in its last revised format i had no issues at all for the time it was fitted.
I decided i wanted a system that was as effective if not moreso but without the level of hardware from serious incantations, i managed to fulfil that with great success.
I'll share it at some point soon but i don't want anyone stealing my design just yet so you will all have to wait a bit I'm afraid, I've made that mistake before so not a second time. :yes:
Greetings,
I'm a new member to this forum after having spent considerable time on Audizine through the years. I have read up on much of your great work and contributions on this front Rob, (Happy belated Birthday!) and just checking in to see if you believe that your solution is the best design to date. I am about to reinstall my 2.0T BWT engine after a complete rebuild and looking for a brighter and cleaner future on the intake side. I appreciate any comments or guidance on this front. To note, I'm also considering a water/meth system addition with the additional value of (potentially) aiding in intake valve carbon deposition reduction. Cheers.

Many thanks for the reply.
It is always nice to know info on this forum is shared and noted far and away from the UK. :icon thumright:

Thus far my current solution does appear to be very effective, I have to date made some sutle changes to the setup which have reduced some of the complexities with pipework and fitting, also aiding lower overall purchase costs.
A few changes have made a good setup a very good reliable setup.
One thing that I will stress is that like any setup, preparation is key to get the best from it, so with that in mind a decoke will make a massive difference , not only will your engine benefit from a clean and carbon-free intake and valve setup from the start but any pcv kits fitted after that will be of a far more benefit, its good to add one but even better with a clean starting point.
The harsh reality with PCV delete kits etc is that to be 100% effective , just bypassing half the system will not really address the full problem.
Audi spent a lot of time designing the oem setup which is designed to be emission freindly, but, that doesn't really do the TFSI engine any favours.

If you want more info on my current setup drop me a PM and we can have a chat.
I don't really want to publicize it on the forum just in case it gets copied, I may have plans for it in the near future.

Rob

Ideally, the full pcv delete setup needs a good vacuum but not excessive as you risk drawing in oil , and that just defeats the whole object of the exercise.
Your engine needs clean air, free from oil vapours and contaminants, succeed here and that is the battle won.

Ideally, the full pcv delete setup needs a good vacuum but not excessive as you risk drawing in oil , and that just defeats the whole object of the exercise.
Your engine needs clean air, free from oil vapours and contaminants, succeed here and that is the battle won.
Hi Rob, I'm very interested in continuing the discussion as I have just reinstalled my complete 2.0T rebuild. (10 miles on it yesterday) Sadly, I can't seem to find the PM functionality here. I have looked in all the usual places. Perhaps you can initiate a chat via PM so that I can see what happens when you do.