Charlie Farley's 2.0tfsi Full PCV Delete project, and why you need to do it too.

The catch can I have does have an option to install a return line back to the oil drain line from the turbo. However, I think this defeats the purpose of the can itself.

While having a can could potentially increase oil consumption i think it would be minimal

My thoughts too.

I'd rather top up with clean oil than recycle small amounts of gunk.

Is a catch can an alternative to pcv delete?

Also is a catch can only worth doing for engines that are tuned?

Love to see some pics .... I've seen Robs !

Catch tank will benefit any TFSI or FSI , works in conjunction with PCV delete , either full of partial.
The only way to reduce / eliminate the contamination from the PCV is to get it out of the engine, no point in just recirculating it around the engine.

Reactions: ckl139
@ckl139 - There is a few pics of my catch can in this thread (it's the one with the dirty engine/bay!).

As Rob said, a catch can will benefit any TFSI engine, not just a tuned one. I would recommend fitting one. Better getting all that blow by and gunk etc out than having it circulating.

Reactions: ckl139
He’s put it together out of bits from here and there, hopefully he’ll be selling them as kits soon though

You have the link where you purchased the full kit from rob?

I am in the process of making kits to order, I have been holding back until now whilst I ensure the kits are problem free.
My setup does comprise of numerous parts from different sources as a complete kit just doesn't exist.
Thus far I have modified one section of tubing on my design to ensure there is no residue retained in any section of pipework/tubing.
kits will be on offer during may that way the setup would have been run properly and any parts that were less than ideal would have been replaced or modified to ensure problem free function.

hope that clear things up for you chap.

Reactions: LawrenceH
I have the same oil catchcan as you but only 2 hose connections. Cant i just mount and T connection on the hose from the crankshaft to the oil catchcan...?

For those that are concerned that doing a full PCV delete will leave the emissions over the MOT limits, I does not , it is fact a much better method of dealing with the less than ideal engine by-products that the oem PCV system is supposed to address but doesn't.
I presented my car for an MOT emissions test today and it passed well within the required levels , my exhaust tips are staying much cleaner now and for longer than they ever did prior to my new setup and engine runs so much better with crisper throttle response etc.

rob

I have the same oil catchcan as you but only 2 hose connections. Cant i just mount and T connection on the hose from the crankshaft to the oil catchcan...?

Any thoughts or opinion on this...?

Sorry chap, I thought I had replied......
Anyway, its doable not ideal really , by connecting the two together there is a very real chance of causing reverse flow between the two also pressure build up , neither are really what you want, you could fit a one way valve but how effective it will be is debatable.
One really needs to keep both lines separate really as they are working slightly differently .
the big advantage of the dual input tank is that the two lines are separate and the flows are not restricted and both enter the tank isolated from each other, then its all out the single output.
Of course this is based on a full pcv delete, no pcv valve at all , pcv venting is going straight to tank not via the valve cover.

Having run the setup for a good while now it all works fine , I've modified a pipe section to the cam cover to remove any chance of oil being retained in the bend.
the kits are now ready to be built up, the only down side is cost to be honest.
Thus far getting all the parts at a good wholesale cost is proving problematic so the final price is higher than I would like to be offering them for sale at present.
Happy to do one off customs kits such as mine to order but they are not silly cheap , when I can get the finished kit cost down more to a sensible figure i'll be able to offer them openly.

Thus far getting all the parts at a good wholesale cost is proving problematic so the final price is higher than I would like to be offering them for sale at present.
Happy to do one off customs kits such as mine to order but they are not silly cheap , when I can get the finished kit cost down more to a sensible figure i'll be able to offer them openly.

What sort of money are you looking at at the moment? And what’s the target?

Reactions: Ash_mtb
I already have the blank plate with rear port but connected the OEM hose back to that port.
So just need the catch can etc. Interested if you could PM me a price to complete the kit into full catch can that would be great.

Rob how much for the blanking plate and 25mm barbs?

This is my setup working fine...

Attachments

• 20180609_104839-3024x1470.jpg
    20180609_104839-3024x1470.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 20180609_104900-1470x3024.jpg
    20180609_104900-1470x3024.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 807
  • 20180609_104843-3024x1470.jpg
    20180609_104843-3024x1470.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 781
  • 20180609_104849-1470x3024.jpg
    20180609_104849-1470x3024.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 20180609_104855-1470x3024.jpg
    20180609_104855-1470x3024.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 736
  • 20180609_104852-1470x3024.jpg
    20180609_104852-1470x3024.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 741
Reactions: Charlie Farley
I have a few spare, as its you have it as a sample....but i'll need the minimal postage , how's 'that for a Saturday special..lol

Reactions: Dani_B19
Thanks mate. I may still got for the option of cutting the current metal return pipe up and returning into the turbo rather than the tip.

Im currently looking at running a full 76mm turbon intake pipe and trying to also get the return feed to attach to it may be asking too much.

Where do i get the barbd fittings also pal?

I'll digout the link for the hose barb fittings chap, it was from a plant equipment supplier .

On the TIP side of things, why not do it this way, works much better than going back via the turbo body, 25mm self sealing fitting.
IMG 0787

I'll digout the link for the hose barb fittings chap, it was from a plant equipment supplier .

On the TIP side of things, why not do it this way, works much better than going back via the turbo body, 25mm self sealing fitting.
View attachment 157505
Thanks. Because im trying to fabricate a customer turbo intake pipe i dont think there will be room for one, hence still keeping returning to the turbo an option.

Sorry chap, been run off my feet with work all week , not even time to fart..lol
i'll look it up later and update you with their link, back to work now so catch you later.

Rob

Same can as you mate so 3/8' NPT i think they are?

Ok chap, it's almost impossible to get 25mm to 3/8" NPT barbs chaps so you'll need to use either BSPT or BSPP with sealing tape, PTFE will be fine, just looking back to find the link , in the meantime do you have a preference between the two.

What did you use rob? Im going to go for the mishimoto can as said so whatever works best.

Pretty sure I went with BSPT as it is still a tapered thread fit but sealing tape is required due to the thread pitch variation as NPT is self sealing.

Sounds a good enough reason to me and i have plenty of ptfe tape

Well chap ,been through my whole favorites list and cant find it now, its allways the same when you need something it's never to hand...…
I may have to look in my receipts draw now for their name....what size pipe do you have at present as you can always use an unequal adapter ( 3/8" - 1"Unequal BSPP Male x BSPP Male 60° Cone Adaptor )to fit 19mm hose tails to a 25mm OD pipe.

Well chap ,been through my whole favorites list and cant find it now, its allways the same when you need something it's never to hand...…
I may have to look in my receipts draw now for their name....what size pipe do you have at present as you can always use an unequal adapter ( 3/8" - 1"Unequal BSPP Male x BSPP Male 60° Cone Adaptor )to fit 19mm hose tails to a 25mm OD pipe.
Yes always the same. I was going to order 19mm for the 19mm section and 25mm for the 25mm section.

I think i maybe being a little dense hete but im not sure what your alternative suggestion entails haha, have you got pictures to help my simple mindness haha.

Its a bit confusing as most pipe sizes are quoted as ID and the hose tail/barbs are sized by OD but really you need to know the ID of the pipe that is being used as differing pipes can have varied tube thickness .
I'll nip outside and see what ID pipe I used , that may help.
I went with 25mm and 19mm mainly as those were the sizes used on the old bus and it seemed logical to retain those sizes to get the same through flow, but you could use 19mm for all 3 really.
You could also use some sleeving with the 19mm barbs to make 25mm pipe fit snuggly, just a thought chap.

Last edited:
Just been looking at some pipe in the garage, two are 25mm ID and one is 22mm ID but all three are the same OD ….
you can use a female hose fitting which come in a whole range of tube sizes and connect it to the tank via one of these but its going the long way really.

1bpu.jpg

it would give you a male thread from the tank port , so 3/8 to 1" and then just screw on a 1" female hose tail (1" thread to 25mm hose
fhc.jpg

, probably better in some ways as you only have to remove the hose barb from the male thread adapter rather than from the female threaded port.

Last edited:
I may even change to this method now, if you think about it , using a swivel nut female fitting does make for a much better method of connection as if you need to remove hoses from the tank all that is needed is to loosen the nut and then its off without disturbing hose clips and then struggling tryinging to get the hose off of the barb, which can be really difficult.
Cost is a few pound extra for the two extra fittings but less than a £10 for for bits.

I think that sounds like a solid thought process Rob, i doubt the pipes etc. Should really need to be removed but if they do, as stated itd make it a 2 minute job.

Could i ask for the links to the above parts pal? Ive just been googling and trying to find a 3/8 to 1 male adaptor like that isnt showing anything, may be my search termanology but its same for the barbed fitting