Just Ordered My S3 Saloon With 10% Off List Price!

There is nothing wrong with car finances or the way its presented!

Very simple!

Take base price of car
Add options

Apply discount to this figure! End of discount application !

Everything else that goes on top is non-discount, and/or/not subject to VAT!

Simples.

Reactions: RAPS3
There is no "fudge", all the Audi dealer needs to do is apply the basic car price discount (assume 10.3% for a vanilla model, may be as low as 10.2% on a model that's had a lot of options added) that will correspond with a discount of 10% of the OTR price. If % discount values are shown on the finance breakdown then the customer would be pleasantly surprised that a basic discount of 10.3% has been applied (although it may well just be a monetary value). On the other hand, if they ask for a 10% discount OTR and they get their finance proposal papers to look through and see that the cash price OTR that they are paying does not amount to a 10% discount of that OTR price, but is less, they might feel a little bit ripped off. I'm sure most Audi salespeople who are up on their maths will have the discretion to apply a 10.3% discount on the basic car price if they were authorised for 10%.

Either way, my main, initial point was that the difference in your "correct/absolute/only way to do things" discount that you are so hung up on and the much simpler discount of the OTR price is tiny in the grand scheme of things. When someone here says they got 10% off, whichever way they got it (from basic pre-VAT price or OTR), there's less than £100 in it unless they've added more than around £2k worth of options. They are comparable when there is 0.3% max between them.

Reactions: mister.c.
Be much easier if we all just posted up the actual details of sale - stating the figures. I'll happily do this as its not a secret (but its at home and I dont have the details with me.)

Reactions: veeeight
Again:

Discounting the OTR figure is of no help to anyone here, forum or elsewhere, when they are trying to look at their finance proposal that is generated by the Audi dealers. The discount structure is based on my post #41, not on your OTR scenario.

Be much easier if we all just posted up the actual details of sale - stating the figures. I'll happily do this as its not a secret (but its at home and I dont have the details with me.)

Yep :)

I suggested this way back in post #21 :)

There is nothing wrong with car finances or the way its presented!

Very simple!

Take base price of car
Add options

Apply discount to this figure! End of discount application !

Everything else that goes on top is non-discount, and/or/not subject to VAT!

Simples.

Most people count as discount what they're saved, what physically stays in their wallet or bank, there is a very small discrepancy between your way and how most people view a discount. I fully understand both ways, Audi and yourselves apply the way that some of their customers may not understand. Either way 10% off OTR is greater than 10% off the basic price of the car - that is the point that most consumers will want to take note of. The 2 methods of discount are comparable - there are no apples and oranges here. One is better than the other, no disputing that.

So ...a quick phone call later....

My figures were:

Basic Price =£25366.61
Options = £5112.50
Subtotal=£30479.11
Delivery =£491.72
VAT =£6194.17
RFL =£230.00
Total =£37395.00
Dealer Deposit =£3320

Work out from that whatever you need to :)

^ What was the original Full Price of the Base Car, and the Full Price of the Options, before discount?

edit:
I think that's the base price of a S3 SB Manual, if so then your "true" discount was 10.89%

(If you were to incorrectly use the OTR figure - your "discount" would end up at 8.88%)

Last edited:
They are the "full" prices of both options and retail price of the car- the discount is not applied to those figures on the order paperwork - its applied as the "dealer deposit" on the paperwork.

Thats the same figure I reached - its just simpler showing this level of detail but "others" are reluctant to share this info (which i cant understand why)

So ...a quick phone call later....

My figures were:

Basic Price =£25366.61
Options = £5112.50
Subtotal=£30479.11
Delivery =£491.72
VAT =£6194.17
RFL =£230.00
Total =£37395.00
Dealer Deposit =£3320

Work out from that whatever you need to :)

You can consider that "dealer deposit" of £3320 as discount from the OTR price. It comes out at 8.9% of OTR. This is the simplest way of Audi applying a transparent OTR price discount, rather than discounting the basic price and options on your paperwork. This could also be worked out as a smidge under 8.9% discount on your basic and options price pre VAT, delivery, VED etc if they did not give you a "dealer deposit" discount.

The % discounts mentioned by any dealer or DTD should always be based on the PRE VAT price

i received 12.02% on my first S3 Saloon.

the P11D Value was £39,445.00 inc spec

basic price was £28,250.00
options came to £4129.17
total £32719.17

discount was £3892.32 (12.02%)

sub total is £28,486.85
delivery (ex vat) £491.67

Vat is £5795.70
Road Fund Licence £230.00

Total i paid for the car was £35,004.22

Sold 3 months later for £34k :)

Reactions: RAPS3 and veeeight
^ What was the original Full Price of the Base Car, and the Full Price of the Options, before discount?

edit:
I think that's the base price of a S3 SB Manual, if so then your "true" discount was 10.89%

(If you were to incorrectly use the OTR figure - your "discount" would end up at 8.88%)

Who's fudging now? I'd be looking at the whole car package for level of discount rather than saying "you got almost 11% off the car, but nothing off the options", or " you paid full price for the car, but got nearly 70% off your options". True discount for the whole car, as ordered is around 8.9%.

Who's fudging now? I'd be looking at the whole car package for level of discount rather than saying "you got almost 11% off the car, but nothing off the options", or " you paid full price for the car, but got nearly 70% off your options". True discount for the whole car, as ordered is around 8.9%.

There is no fudging.

RAPS3 also arrived at the same figure, which, as per my post #41, is applied on the base car and options.

But not on delivery, nor VED, nor Registration. And all pre-VAT.

And there is a whopping 2% difference (as opposed to your 0.3%) when comparing the correct, and incorrect way of referencing discounts.

I think you're the only one on here (and going by previous threads on this topic) who is insistent on referencing discounts on OTR prices.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were PilotAudi and claim my £5.

Reactions: Pulp84
If we're getting into the real nitty gritty of discounts.

I also recieved payment for 2 double rooms for 1 night bed & breakfast in a 5* Hotel in Kings Lynn twon centre as part of the deal the night before collection :)

Plus roof bars for the car at cost...

What on earth.....!!

Just to clarify my discount was added pre-vat, delivery, ved.

However for the % I stated; I just take the discount (says "dealer deposit") off the total sum, you can be technical about it but I prefer it this way because thats the real discount in terms of % of the whole price of the car.

The proper way is as mentioned, take the pre-vat prices of your car selected and options then discount it that way.

Cheshire Oaks Audi gave me £1000 off list and gave me one of their own demo car build slots, ordered it yesterday and delivery expected end of October. I did do the whole car wow/DTD shopping around thing, but I quite liked the idea of walking into my local dealer and building up a relationship, I think in a few years time when I come to change they will be more inclined to give me a discount to keep my repeat business.

All the broker did was pass my details to the dealer. The dealer then invited me in and that's it, I deal with that dealer/branch from now on. I'm still building that relationship with the dealer + saving almost £4k!!

All the broker did was pass my details to the dealer. The dealer then invited me in and that's it, I deal with that dealer/branch from now on. I'm still building that relationship with the dealer + saving almost £4k!!

I hear what you are saying, but there are also other circumstances that made me pull the trigger on that deal. There is no denying that you got a better deal than me, thats clear to see.

I went to first local dealer who asked if I could afford an Audi. Second local dealer was a million times better and after test drives, including a long 24hr test which included a trip to Scotland and roads I know well, I sat down with him to talk figures.

I told and showed him what CarWOW were offering, told him I was prepared to travel those distances to get the discount but also reminded him that I was sitting in front of him and ready to sign for it now if the figures were right.

After some backwards and forwards with his sales manager, we agreed on a figure that wasn't that far from the top CarWOW discount, but the added benefit was my order would be a spec change on an existing build slot, so less of a wait. I signed and paid my deposit there and then.

24 hour test drive, that is a good dealer!

VAT isn't discountable, and some things (e.g.: VED) are not subject to VAT.

So discounts are only applied to the Base Car Price, and Options, pre-VAT and other charges as listed above.

It would be incorrect to take your final figure (including delivery, VAT, VED, Registration etc.) then apply your discount in ££, and derive a % discount from that.

No, the price quoted by DTD will be the final price, I was just sounding a caution against people saying "I've got 10% off the list price" - because some elements of the list price aren't discountable, so the % quoted isn't correct.

And it makes comparing x% discount with y% discount difficult, because some people will have done the calculation correctly, others not.

Just saying "I got £xxxx off the £nnnn OTR price" would be the best way to do discount comparisons.

My OTR price was £38240 - I am paying OTR price £34443 saving £3797. You work out the percentage.

Reactions: mister.c. and mcnallys
I hear what you are saying, but there are also other circumstances that made me pull the trigger on that deal. There is no denying that you got a better deal than me, thats clear to see.
And it's only 5 miles further then my local Audi dealer