Just my luck!! :( Smashed Sump

bosun

Reaction score
People,

Having had the pleasure of driving over a wheel on the motorway, I'm now left with what appears to be a cracked sump. :(

I was slowing down after seeing a crash on the other carriageway only to drive into a wheel from this crash that wedged itself between my car and the ground. I was able to pull over to the hard shoulder and turned the engine off straight away (no oil lights on)

I've got a £400 excess so I'm wondering what would be the worse case situation(and best) In regards to damage and what your experiences have been? 2.0tdi quattro... Tempted to get it into my normal garage.

Attached are some pictures. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tbaj7tton7rmn0s/AACHYNObrTGea2Z25Afg7y7ra?dl=0

Thanks

Nick

And I just bought her a set of Brembo Max's

Not that bad mate. Buy a sump, an oil filter and a 5L of oil. Get it fitted at your normal garage or if you're handy with the tools do it yourself ;)

You're looking at around £100 in parts and then an hours labour to fit. Nothing major really.

Reactions: bosun
You shouldn't have to pay for any of that. You are an injured third party to somebody elses accident. I would contact the police to get the details of the other drivers then your insurance company.
For a wheel of another car to be on your carriageway it would have been a fairly big accident so I would presume the police were involved to close the carriageway.

Karl.

What Karl said try and track down people who were involved in the accident. If a tyre comes off a lorry and hits your car it would be the lorrys insurance paying for the damage. I see no difference with this situation.

It could be the local highway authority's problem. They have to ensure that the road is safe to use and are usually on scene with the Police when there's a big one to clean up the mess.... in this case, a rouge wheel on the other side of the road.
Personally, I wouldn't be paying for that and somebody would be getting their ear bent.

That could have caused another serious collision.

Based on that article you should contact the police - tell them you were involved and what happened they should be able to provide you the details of the other involved parties and hopefully insurance can sort it all out for you.

Good luck.

You need to contact your own insurance company anyway, so let their legal team do all the fretting for you.
With all the news coverage that accident has had it will be a walk in the park for them to recover damages for you.
You really shouldn't be a penny out of pocket for this.
Remember the courtesy car when your own goes in for repair as well, most insurers have that written into the policy these days.
;)

Reactions: S3_Mat
After many phone calls they have decided to write it off because the repairs would cost £6255!!!

FULL new engine and the like grrrrr

Sorry to hear that.

Be careful with your posts - when I read your first post it sounds like you were rubber necking (I'm not saying you were) and you suddenly hit the wheel. Again not being judgemental but, be careful how you word any claim as it's quite hard to miss a wheel on the carriageway ;). As others have said you should be able to claim from the owner of the vehicle who's wheel it was.

Sorry to hear this mate. Is the engine scrap because it lost oil so quickly?

Sorry to hear that.

Be careful with your posts - when I read your first post it sounds like you were rubber necking (I'm not saying you were) and you suddenly hit the wheel. Again not being judgemental but, be careful how you word any claim as it's quite hard to miss a wheel on the carriageway ;). As others have said you should be able to claim from the owner of the vehicle who's wheel it was.

Thanks for your words of advice.

Thing is if it was that 'easy' to see a wheel on the carriageway at night then I wouldn't be in this situation.

But once again thank you for your advice and I guess you'd have to have been there to really value it. ;)

Sorry to hear this mate. Is the engine scrap because it lost oil so quickly?

Nope it didn't lose oil quickly its just the repairing agents have to work on serious worse case situations and can only use OEM new parts for any repair.

Looking about it seems new warranted engines are available for around 1.6k

My A3 TDI was in the same boat last year and when they said they were going to write it off, I said I would prefer to keep it, considering the amount of money I had spent on it.
We agreed a value for the settlement and I got the car back.
It will be going through the MOT next week after spending about £500.00 on it and it still drives and runs perfectly.
Ok, it's now a Cat D, but I can either run it quite happily, or I can sell it and still get a few bob back on it.
Might be worth asking what they will give you with you keeping the car.
You might be surprised, (like me), at what they will offer you.
;)

If it doesn't need an engine I'd tell the insurance company to forget about it, not right the car off and fix it myself.

If it doesn't need an engine I'd tell the insurance company to forget about it, not right the car off and fix it myself.
Yes but the other vehicle's insurance are quite probably going to be found liable.
Accepting a settlement plus the car back, means an easy repair and a few pounds in the pocket to soften the blow and more than cover the cost of repair.
You could walk away from this having done quite well out of it.

Yes but the other vehicle's insurance are quite probably going to be found liable.
Accepting a settlement plus the car back, means an easy repair and a few pounds in the pocket to soften the blow and more than cover the cost of repair.
You could walk away from this having done quite well out of it.

Ahh fair play. That makes sense if there's a possibility of making some money out of it :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jake 61