Just installed a DTUK FSR+ to my S3

RO65ERS

Reaction score
Boys and Girls

This morning i received my DTUK FSR+ for MY15 S3.
Now i don't feel the need to post generic pictures, or even write a how to guide as @jungle650 has written a great one found here. It also contains pictures too. Go have a look. its great. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ting-installation-guide-–-s3-8v-model.253804/

Not only has he done the how to guide that is spot on, he also has a wealth of knowledge on the product and actually sent me a PM about the system when i was uncertain if i wanted one or not. This guy knows his shizz.

Anyway

The box arrived, its a nice box, very good quality - i can only imagine that the rest of the product was this great a quality.
It was.

Inside the box was the wiring loom and blanking plug, separately bagged.
The FSR+ box
instructions
velcro straps
and some humorous advertising for the pedal box

All items are of great feel / quality. I'm seriously surprised and very happy at this point!

following the above guide, i fitted the box! it probably took me 30 minutes ( as i used the jack from the boot and laid on the floor, rather than my 2 poster at work)
next removal and installation would take half that :)

So what do i think of it and what setting have i settled on - well.
i have a plan, I live minutes from the country side, there is an awesome ring road on Dartmoor going around a resoviour. Its got straights, bends, and everything else you'd encounter on your daily drive, and its bang on 4 miles...and generally very quiet.

i will be going around there today, and changing / using each setting at the beginning of each lap!
later, i will report back with how i found each map and which one i settled on.

*watch this space*

Reactions: ammo-mcr, Wondering Soul, Martinbanshee and 6 others
Glad you've finally got it.

The box works by tricking the ecu to deliver more boost than it knows it is so it takes quite a while to adjust to putting the extra fuel in. Basically I wouldn't advise changing the settings that quickly as you'll be running lean, pulling timing and not getting a feel for what the map is really like.

Currently running V3 software with a DSG and find very notchy gear changes on anything apart from 3+1, dont know how anybody drives on map 1 or 2 with a DSG box.

It's been several hours of dtuk fun...and 3/4 of a tank of the finest.

What do I think so far...well worth the purchase.

Map 1. Where do I begin. I've settled on map 1 +3 (believe it or not.)
It has a nice and steady increase of torque from 2k.
Hit the higher end of the rev range with full or majority throttle and OH MY GOD. It's great! The feels! Fantastic, that alone it worth the money. It's like I've been punched in the chops.
BUT it's fantastic trickery does have its cons, up the higher end of the rev range the throttle is very snatchy. I can live with this, although going +1 or +2 this does smoothen out and there isn't a great deal of difference.

Around town.
Very smooth. Light to moderate throttle and upto 3.5k 4k rpm, feels smooth and just like a more torquey stock feeling.

Map 2.
This map was great. If I wanted more power, but not so aggressive, 2 + 2 was superb.
It had an obvious increase, just like above but not so much a punch in the chops on WOT.
I could see this map being very popular, if I wasnt a power freaking nut, this would be my map of choice.

Map 3.
I've read that it'll feel like stock, smooth but faster.
I'm inclined to agree.
On +3 it was lovely and smooth, but again got a slight jerk on the gear change.
This is again only a +3 issue. Put it on +2 and it's how the car should've been from the factory. If it was, I'd never have got a tune.

Only thing I have noticed, there is no rev limiter. I can change gear at 7krpm if I want...I'm not, by any means, going to run the engine into the red.

Each map got approx 25 miles. 1+3 more once settled on.
Each map on +2 and +3 got tested on flat ground, full throttle upto max 3rd gear.
(No 0 to 60 times recorded yet) same road each time.
Each map got tested exactly the same on exactly the same roads.

Mpg wise, equal to stock.

Note that I have a modified oem intake and my valves are open and it's a MANUAL. 9k on the clock.
In no way am I stating you will experience the same results as I have, nor may your opinions be the same. This is how I feel about it.

I will update gps recorded 0 to 60
And if I get a chance 60 to 100,120.
I will update after a few tanks worth of fuel. Who knows, I may change my settings or have an issue, no disrespect to dtuk, I'm running at +3 I do expect it to flag a code at some point.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Sounds fantastic and well worth it. I am deciding on which box to get myself and I think this is still top of the list. Thanks for the info and look forward to more. Enjoy!

Reactions: RO65ERS
The pedal box is a homosexual as well. I'm manual and running 3 +3 might try 1 +3 over the weekend

Reactions: RO65ERS and FBF01
It's a shame map 1 & 2 don't work well with the DSG cars as the engine is transformed just couldn't live with the notchy shifts on a daily basis...

I wonder if they will update the s/w again

Although Map 3 doesn't feel aggressive lower down in the rev range, this is the map that doesn't run out of power at the top end.

Map 1 & 2 bring in the power earlier than 3, but is robbed at the top end, you can feel the timing pull, possibly due to high EGTs.

In essence, it's robbed Peter to pay Paul.

Although Map 3 doesn't feel aggressive lower down in the rev range, this is the map that doesn't run out of power at the top end.

Map 1 & 2 bring in the power earlier than 3, but is robbed at the top end, you can feel the timing pull, possibly due to high EGTs.

In essence, it's robbed Peter to pay Paul.
They all pack a punch on the top end, and I certainly can't feel it holding back on map 1.

Map 3 does feel fast, but it's the aggressive feel that I like, more than one more so progressive.
If I was happier to have a more sedate feeling, I'd happily use 3.

I plan on trying them all out in different circumstances throughout my ownership.
Now I need to compare it to a mapped car.

Does anyone know how many Audi cars were sold in 2015 and how many per country?

They all pack a punch on the top end, and I certainly can't feel it holding back on map 1.

Map 3 does feel fast, but it's the aggressive feel that I like, more than one more so progressive.
If I was happier to have a more sedate feeling, I'd happily use 3.

I plan on trying them all out in different circumstances throughout my ownership.
Now I need to compare it to a mapped car.

It drop off in the top end when the car starts pulling timing. I know it feels good in the mid range but the fuel correction doesn't seem to be able to keep up and the car runs lean. 16:1 which is crazy for 20 odd psi of boost

Reactions: veeeight
On DTUK v3 software, Program 3 is the old "Leo" map. This is the smoothest, and most stock like.
It's also the benchmark map, that gave Leo his incredibly fast 0-100mph timed runs.

Every map since then, has tried to better this, but, as explained in previous threads, you are most likely robbing Peter to pay Paul, although Maps 1&2 may feel quicker in the mid range, it almost certainly pulling the timing back at the top end.

A dyno plot only gives half the story, how it actually drives on the road cannot be determined by looking at a dyno plot. On my car (DSG) - 1+3 is completely unusable, the gear changes are snatchy and jerky, and I can feel the drivetrain (particularly the prop shaft) snatch aggressively up and down the box. The throttle plate snapping shut is also disconcerting. And I have cold engine drivability issues with 1+3. But map 1+3 looks great on a dyno plot.

Also, every car is different. What feels or measures best on one car, will be different on another.

Lots of previous threads covering Leo's @Leo-RS superb work in benchmarking the maps with a Racelogic box:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-performance-figures-vbox-pbox-1-4m-thread.221569/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-0-60mph-3-77-0-100mph-8-92.222705/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/its-gone-even-quicker-audi-s3-0-60-3-59-0-100-8-45.230041/

This thread gives you all the history of the software versions and map numbers:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-2-0-tfsi-280-300ps-software-update.247443/

Details of the 3 different DTUK maps are in these threads:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-2-0-tfsi-280-300ps-software-update.247443/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-v3-settings.254459/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ting-installation-guide-–-s3-8v-model.253804/

Reactions: Martinbanshee, RO65ERS and OliS3
I get the car sat, if you could wait a week or two until I make sure all is ok I'm sure we can sort something??

I get the car sat, if you could wait a week or two until I make sure all is ok I'm sure we can sort something??
I only put it for sale today so I'm not expecting it to go straight away.

Nice to hear you're planning mods before you get the car, good work!

i was dubious. very much so, all i can advise now is to do it! totally worth it

Reactions: Paulmichelle
@RO65ERS this might be a silly question ?, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm thinking of getting one for my TDI 8V(manual), can I ask when trying out the 3 different maps with the + and - what should I be looking out for ?, and how do I know when I have the best setting for my car ?.

@RO65ERS this might be a silly question ?, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm thinking of getting one for my TDI 8V(manual), can I ask when trying out the 3 different maps with the + and - what should I be looking out for ?, and how do I know when I have the best setting for my car ?.

You're looking for what suits you best, thats what important.
its difficult to say what setting or map that will suit you best.

I've settled on 1+3, realistically, i should be running 1 +2 or 3+3, but i wanted the more so aggressive feeling that came with it and I'm happy with how its applied and how it feels on this map.

when you fit the box, in any setting, you will experience an increase in power and torque, somewhere in the rev range.
each map will apply it differently, and then you are adding or lowering boost. + or -

so ideally, you want to look for an increase in power throughout the rev range, giving smooth gear changes and a smooth application of power.
what you will experience, on what would be the wrong setting, is notch / snatchy gear changes, jerks when applying or coming off the throttle, and jerking or holding back when applying the throttle.

Reactions: Gazjs and Bittern
You're looking for what suits you best, thats what important.
its difficult to say what setting or map that will suit you best.

I've settled on 1+3, realistically, i should be running 1 +2 or 3+3, but i wanted the more so aggressive feeling that came with it and I'm happy with how its applied and how it feels on this map.

when you fit the box, in any setting, you will experience an increase in power and torque, somewhere in the rev range.
each map will apply it differently, and then you are adding or lowering boost. + or -

so ideally, you want to look for an increase in power throughout the rev range, giving smooth gear changes and a smooth application of power.
what you will experience, on what would be the wrong setting, is notch / snatchy gear changes, jerks when applying or coming off the throttle, and jerking or holding back when applying the throttle.

That is the kind of info I have been after, all I keep reading is "WOW it pulls like a train". Thanks!

:yahoo::yahoo:
It's been several hours of dtuk fun...and 3/4 of a tank of the finest.

What do I think so far...well worth the purchase.

Map 1. Where do I begin. I've settled on map 1 +3 (believe it or not.)
It has a nice and steady increase of torque from 2k.
Hit the higher end of the rev range with full or majority throttle and OH MY GOD. It's great! The feels! Fantastic, that alone it worth the money. It's like I've been punched in the chops.
BUT it's fantastic trickery does have its cons, up the higher end of the rev range the throttle is very snatchy. I can live with this, although going +1 or +2 this does smoothen out and there isn't a great deal of difference.

Around town.
Very smooth. Light to moderate throttle and upto 3.5k 4k rpm, feels smooth and just like a more torquey stock feeling.

Map 2.
This map was great. If I wanted more power, but not so aggressive, 2 + 2 was superb.
It had an obvious increase, just like above but not so much a punch in the chops on WOT.
I could see this map being very popular, if I wasnt a power freaking nut, this would be my map of choice.

Map 3.
I've read that it'll feel like stock, smooth but faster.
I'm inclined to agree.
On +3 it was lovely and smooth, but again got a slight jerk on the gear change.
This is again only a +3 issue. Put it on +2 and it's how the car should've been from the factory. If it was, I'd never have got a tune.

Only thing I have noticed, there is no rev limiter. I can change gear at 7krpm if I want...I'm not, by any means, going to run the engine into the red.

Each map got approx 25 miles. 1+3 more once settled on.
Each map on +2 and +3 got tested on flat ground, full throttle upto max 3rd gear.
(No 0 to 60 times recorded yet) same road each time.
Each map got tested exactly the same on exactly the same roads.

Mpg wise, equal to stock.

Note that I have a modified oem intake and my valves are open and it's a MANUAL. 9k on the clock.
In no way am I stating you will experience the same results as I have, nor may your opinions be the same. This is how I feel about it.

I will update gps recorded 0 to 60
And if I get a chance 60 to 100,120.
I will update after a few tanks worth of fuel. Who knows, I may change my settings or have an issue, no disrespect to dtuk, I'm running at +3 I do expect it to flag a code at some point.

Glad you have been enjoying yourself why some of us have been working:greyrs4::yahoo:

Reactions: RO65ERS
That is the kind of info I have been after, all I keep reading is "WOW it pulls like a train". Thanks!

there is a lot of information regarding these boxes...just none of it is useful.
i had a PM sent to me by a member of the forum, and his words were spot on!

be interesting to see if you get one and what you think of it.

Glad you have been enjoying yourself why some of us have been working

I've been off work for 8 weeks now, probably have another 4-6 off, i certainly am enjoying it. lol.
i cant thank you enough for your help! Top guy.

Reactions: jungle650
Hey @RO65ERS another question if you don't mind answering ?. As well as Getting the DTUK box is it worth getting the DTE Pedal Box also ?. I've read only good reviews about the improvement of the throttle response(surely having the 2 together is a win win ?)

I have the two and work great together, best with a manual mate.

Reactions: Bittern
Hey @RO65ERS another question if you don't mind answering ?. As well as Getting the DTUK box is it worth getting the DTE Pedal Box also ?. I've read only good reviews about the improvement of the throttle response(surely having the 2 together is a win win ?)

I have driven a DSG car with a pedal box and the DTUK box. It has various settings from off to outright aggressive. It basically does what it states on the tin. Quick and easy to fit as well. Not everyones cup of tea but it does eliminate some of the initial delay when pressing the accelerator. However with a DSG car it also highlights the jolt effect that many feel on the higher + settings if you lift off mid boost.

Personally not for me, but each to their own.

Reactions: Bittern
Thanks for the info. My car is a manual

sorry mate, but i don't have a pedal box so cant really comment.
my throttle is so much more responsive with just the FSR+ (it feels like, because of the extra power, no need to go so hard on the throttle)

i could only imagine the pedal box, would make it feel so so much better, but I'm not bothered enough to get one. - if i got a remap, it would come with a pedal box. see what i mean?

I'm sure everyone who's installed a DTUK box or Stage upgrade has declared it to their insurer. I was wondering what sort of premium it added to your..erm..premium?

I'm sure everyone who's installed a DTUK box or Stage upgrade has declared it to their insurer. I was wondering what sort of premium it added to your..erm..premium?

umm...yeah...about that...umm...shall i just say a random number so people think i have genuinely declared it? if so, £25 admin and £30 annual fee.
yeah. that sounds about right.

honestly, i didn't think i was going to like the box, i thought i would have it on and within a week i would remove it. so wouldn't declare it.
i fitted it a few days ago and so far, so good. i think i will keep it, i need to change my address on my policy when i move house in two weeks (so long as the vendors solicitors pull their socks up), i will be adding the box to it then and will add this to the thread.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and DickiePhitt
umm...yeah...about that...umm...shall i just say a random number so people think i have genuinely declared it? if so, £25 admin and £30 annual fee.
yeah. that sounds about right.

honestly, i didn't think i was going to like the box, i thought i would have it on and within a week i would remove it. so wouldn't declare it.
i fitted it a few days ago and so far, so good. i think i will keep it, i need to change my address on my policy when i move house in two weeks (so long as the vendors solicitors pull their socks up), i will be adding the box to it then and will add this to the thread.

Ha ha. £25-£30 admin is actually spot on for UK. Annual change circa £75-£100 if u are hmmm lets say of mature age ( if there is such a thing! ) but insurance is very different by region, country and occupation !

Well, largely down to my situation matching @RO65ERS and his positive experience, I've taken the plunge and bought a DTUK FSR+ too.

I had fun and games getting a sensible baseline 0-60, etc. from which to compare things when I fit the box. The free app I downloaded gave me anything from 5.48 to 18 seconds! Also I discovered how difficult it is to get away from a standing start without bogging down. Its not something I've tended to do until now. Clearly I drive like a nun, but that's not what my missus says.

Reactions: jungle650 and RO65ERS
Well, largely down to my situation matching @RO65ERS and his positive experience, I've taken the plunge and bought a DTUK FSR+ too.

I had fun and games getting a sensible baseline 0-60, etc. from which to compare things when I fit the box. The free app I downloaded gave me anything from 5.48 to 18 seconds! Also I discovered how difficult it is to get away from a standing start without bogging down. Its not something I've tended to do until now. Clearly I drive like a nun, but that's not what my missus says.
The GPS in a phone is no where near accurate enough to measure our cars. Some use the accelerometers which helps at lot if you have a good phone holder. If you're on Android, torque pro with an obd 2 dongle uses the cars speed but GPS corrected so for £10 it's fairly accurate

Reactions: jungle650

Oooooh. You won't be disappointed. Seeing that you're a manual you'll be able to run 1 + 3. Lol.
I'm loving it. I love being in 2nd or 3rd around 2.5k and just ease onto half to 75% throttle all the way to 6k and fly along.
I giggle like a little school girl.

Launching a manual isn't the easiest of tasks. You will have to slip the clutch.
But remember, it's all you. There's no mechanical trickery to help you out like the Stron boys.

Reactions: DickiePhitt, jungle650 and Rob2k68