Just impulse bought an A4... what to look out for?

Dannyboolahlah

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've impulse bought an A4 because it was too cheap not to, and I don't fancy another winter in my MR2!
It's a 2003 3.0 Quattro Sport. Generally looks very well kept, but it had a few issues (hence being a bargain). Drives beautifully and is really comfy, can't wait to pick it up tomorrow, but got a couple of things that need immediate attention.

Firstly the window demister has stopped working. I know the seller and I believe him when he says it worked last time he used it a couple of weeks ago, so could there be a motor/actuator seized up due to the cold or something?

It has a bit of an oil leak that looks to be coming from the top of the right hand cylinder head, anything common on these before I go searching?

Is there anything else I should be checking over?

Thanks.

If it's the 3.0 tdi then the oil leak may well be coming from the exhaust manifold studs, the screw into oil gallerys in the head & vibrate loose, not an easy fix though.

Demister not working will either be the motors have stopped working or the climate control unit has packed up. Need to do some output tests on VCDS.

If it's the 3.0 tdi then the oil leak may well be coming from the exhaust manifold studs, the screw into oil gallerys in the head & vibrate loose, not an easy fix though.

It's petrol. Can see it most around the coilpack area and drops a bit on the ground.

Demister not working will either be the motors have stopped working or the climate control unit has packed up. Need to do some output tests on VCDS.

Ok ta, will have a look when I get it.

Just got it home. Lovely so far. Demister motor has gone, so just disconnected the motor in the open position for now.

It is the symphony radio, is there any way to connect an iPod to this or Bluetooth? Or am I best looking at a parrot or similar.

Also, it seems to have a trip computer as it gives a range readout, but I can't find the button to see other readings? Manual says it's on the wiper stalk, but it isn't.

Just got it home. Lovely so far. Demister motor has gone, so just disconnected the motor in the open position for now.

It is the symphony radio, is there any way to connect an iPod to this or Bluetooth? Or am I best looking at a parrot or similar.

Also, it seems to have a trip computer as it gives a range readout, but I can't find the button to see other readings? Manual says it's on the wiper stalk, but it isn't.
if it says it has a trip computer then if you look on the edge of your wiper stalk that is where it should be mine is there, good luck with the car hope the jobs are simple fixes and besides if you are good friends with the seller he can chip in with the cost ha ha!!

if it says it has a trip computer then if you look on the edge of your wiper stalk that is where it should be mine is there, good luck with the car hope the jobs are simple fixes and besides if you are good friends with the seller he can chip in with the cost ha ha!!

Must just be a range readout then. Probably for the best I don't see the MPG!

Not good friends, just know him. He's already chipped in with the costs by selling it to me so cheap.

Other common issues with A4's are front wiper spindles seize (slow wipers), rear wiper problems (water leaks / wiper malfunctions in various ways), electric window regulators fail, glove box hinge and/or damper breaks / fails. Front wings rust. Nice cars though.

Other common issues with A4's are front wiper spindles seize (slow wipers), rear wiper problems (water leaks / wiper malfunctions in various ways), electric window regulators fail, glove box hinge and/or damper breaks / fails. Front wings rust. Nice cars though.
yes I have changed front and back wiper motors also have the broken hinge on the glove box and front wings have had rust around the arch and roof along the roof bars but yes nice cars tho

Front wipers fine, don't have a rear wiper. Glovebox is fine but the armrest is broken -.-
No rust on the wings.
Had fun yesterday discovering that the locking wheel nut key is nowhere to be seen.

Front wipers fine, don't have a rear wiper. Glovebox is fine but the armrest is broken -.-
No rust on the wings.
Had fun yesterday discovering that the locking wheel nut key is nowhere to be seen.
hello, my locking wheel nut is in the tool container stowed on the side of the spare wheel in the boot

I imagine mine is in the toolbox... just a shame the toolbox isn't in the car!
I've managed to get one of them out, and got replacements, just not had a chance to do the rest yet.

I imagine mine is in the toolbox... just a shame the toolbox isn't in the car!
I've managed to get one of them out, and got replacements, just not had a chance to do the rest yet.
hello there should be a tow hitch in there as well and the wheel centre bolt you use to help you resit the wheel when putting in back on, I found out only recently there is a sun blind that drops down around the rear view mirror we have had the car for five years and it was my son who pulled it down and my wife and I was amazed having the car that long and did not know it existed so there you go, from Colin avant 2.5tdi owner

wheel centre bolt you use to help you resit the wheel when putting in back on,

The times I have thought that'd be a good thing to have.... and it might be in my boot!!..cheers. I did know about the sun blind bit though.

I've had a mk4 golf for the last 9 years & only recently realised it has rear cup holders!, I only realised this when cleaning that back out & finding it sticking half way out, so the kids must have found & broken it.

The times I have thought that'd be a good thing to have.... and it might be in my boot!!..cheers. I did know about the sun blind bit though.

I've had a mk4 golf for the last 9 years & only recently realised it has rear cup holders!, I only realised this when cleaning that back out & finding it sticking half way out, so the kids must have found & broken it.
yes my rear ash tray was broken by I assume one of the grandchildren and I had a heck of a job finding a replacement, the worse thing about winter besides the low sun in your eyes is the salt on the roads good job I have a petrol pressure washer, have a nice xmas and good luck for the new year from Colin