Just hit a curb...

Tripp

Reaction score
Ive not had a great month with my A3. I rear ened (low speed) a merc 3 weeks ago resulting in damage to bumber bonnet and headlights. car has been out of the garage for less than a week when I hit a curb...

on a windy road I had to swerve some muppet taking the corner too wide. I avoid them only to slide into a curb with quite a wallop(approx 30mph). the passenger side tyre took the full blow and it was instantly obvious damage had been done. so I limped back home to assess.

the steering wheel is 1qtr turn to the left whilst the front wheels are facing forward (neither are aligned though) there is a grating squeeking sound when I turn the wheel too far right. There is no real power in the wheels (not that i wanted to test it too much) esp is freaking out and the front ended bottomed out going over a bump to my drive which it has never done before...It just feels like im turning on ice - no real feel to it.

Its too dark to properly look at the damage (not that im fully sure what to look for but here are some pics)

nearside:
P1060044.jpg

Drivers side
P1060045-1.jpg

hard to tell by the images but the drivers side is higher and off centre compared to the nearside

nearside wheel:
P1060050.jpg

Drivers side wheel:
P1060049-1.jpg

the nearside wheel now sits further back than the drivers side by about 1-2 inches and has some play in it when I wobble it.

Needless to say im gutted / furious.

im debating on whether to just get the insurance on this (for the 2nd time in a month...) and pay 200 excess or get it done at my local.

any ideas on whats likely to be damaged...

thanks

bent wishbone id guess.
get the car on a ramp if you can and compare the 2 sides

I think im going to have to get the insurers onto this (again) at best a new wishbone, wheel bearing, realignment, alloy refurb + labour will cost alot more than my excess. premiums are going to be higher thanks to a previous misshap so may aswell pile it on.

Any other things that could be damaged as a result of this?

cheers

Sounds like a bad idea to use insurance for something potentially resolvable for reasonable cost. Your premium would go up significantly more if you report a second claim within a short space of time.

next time just hold your line and let the other car hit you

"never avoid an accident that won't be your fault"

next time just hold your line and let the other car hit you

"never avoid an accident that won't be your fault"

HAHA, the natural instinct for self preservation took over im afraid. plus ive just had a new bumber headlights and bonnet respray...

Sounds like a bad idea to use insurance for something potentially resolvable for reasonable cost. Your premium would go up significantly more if you report a second claim within a short space of time.

ive got a friend of a friend whos a mechanic coming round to have a look (good to know people) hopefully he will give a more diffinitive idea of whats borked and costs. Unfortunatley if he says £500 or more then I will have to go for insurance as I dont have that kind of disposable. plus i can get a courtesy car with my indurer which I could really use.

So the friend of a friend has been. car up, wheel off.

I have bent the wishbone something proper. the shock is leaking. thats it apart from worn arb bushes and a slow leak from the gear box but he seems to think these are unrelated issues.

For a pair of shock and topmounts, new bushes, wishbone, new links (whilst the tyres are off) - approx 300 quid incl parts labour and some petrol money and he will do it on my drive.

Will have to get wheels aligned myself and pay for the alloy to be refurbed...

Not bad I think, saves getting insurers involved.

glad to hear its not as bad as you first thought, still a sjite deal tho, 2 in one month eessshhh.