Just had the Quattro chipped.

B5QUAT

Reaction score
Shelled out £250 of my hard earned this weekend to have the car chipped. It was either that or a front mount this month. The latter would have involved me actually doing something so I opted for the former lol.

I used Advance Tuning. They picked up my ECU and dropped it off back a couple of hours later replacing the standard chip with a socketed version. The quoted improvements were 180bhp to 210bhp (which I don't believe) and 235Nm to 300Nm (which is more believable).

Car boosts to 20 psi now (12-14 before) in the higher gears (even saw 21psi on one occasion) and around 18psi in the lower gears but the boost does drop off higher up in the revs to similar levels that it did pre the chip change, so I reckon peak power will not be much different than before. There is a noticeable improvement in low down - mid range grunt though.

Going to get it rolling roaded soon just for interest.

One thing I found interesting was when I first took the car back out again after the chip swap, it was popping and farting and nearly stalling every time you came to a stop. I thought "oh sh1t, what's broke?" but the guy said that was normal and that it would eventually relearn and right itself, which it did after a couple of miles, and now it's just like it used to be. Never come across that before.

Be good to see if they did a proper job once its on the dyno. How does it feel now that its settled in?

Better definately, but still needs a lot more. It's definately torquier but just runs out of puff in the high revs like it used to. Downside of the piddly turbo I suppose. I used to have a 380bhp Subaru and that used to pull like a flamin train to the redline in 5th. The Audi feels a tad asthmatic in comparison.

One thing the guy did say is that the A4 1.8Ts respond well to panel filter upgrades, and it wasn't just sales patter as they don't sell them, so that might be my next purchase for the sake of £30 or 40. If it makes no difference, so what?

Good to here you went for the map.

Think you was behind me the other day, as I pulled off had a quick glance in the rear view and noticed your reg.

Shhh dont get the filter debate going! You`ll have war on your hands as usual :p

Could get one and see whats what i guess. Or a nice Jetex cone for 20quid more. Then just sort yourself a heatsheild and be done with! Maybe a TIP too :p

The list goes on...!

Reactions: B5QUAT
Good to here you went for the map.

Think you was behind me the other day, as I pulled off had a quick glance in the rear view and noticed your reg.

Yeah I was. Was gonna flash you but it was dark so didn't want you thinkin it was some weirdo or somethin lol. Car looks good and certainly seemed to pick its feet up. How does it feel after the FT swap?

Does it hold 20psi, or quickly drop as the revs climb?

It rises very rapidly to 20 psi then drops off as the revs climb, down to about 10 psi at the redline. The guy mapping it says there are several levels of map that he uses, a more agressive one and a milder one that they use for high mileage cars. Don't know if it's just an optical illusion but the boost does seem to rise a lot quicker up the gauge than it used to.

Yeah I was. Was gonna flash you but it was dark so didn't want you thinkin it was some weirdo or somethin lol. Car looks good and certainly seemed to pick its feet up. How does it feel after the FT swap?

Well after replacing it, it was like comparing a metro to a Porsche as the old turbo was totally fubar. So the difference was totally noticeable as you could probably tell, and to say it's the stock map I can only imagine what it will be like with a proper setup and tune.