Just had Revo Stage 1 Remap on my S3

mephisto

Reaction score
OK just had my 2009 S3 remapped wth a Revo Stage1 map.

Hmm i guess i wasn't exactly woo'd by it, i mean to start with it they switched it back to standard before i really noticed. Maybe as it's a hot day today too (about 23.5) displayed in car temp. That it wasnt so evident. going to test tonight when its cooler.
Anyway one thing i did notice now is a whistle on full boost/throttle, not the sorta ultra high pitched turbo hiss, this is a slightly lower note more of a whistle. He did mention something about diaprams leaking on s3s maybe the recirc valve or something i can't remember now.

Is the whistle normal after remap? Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by their stage 1?

Last edited:
You do get more of a whistle as the turbo is producing more boost.
As for being underwhelmed, I've not heard of that with Revo as it's renowned for being aggresive, maybe the weather being unusually nice for a change is having an effect, also the ecu does adapt over time so you may feel it gets better. Could be a leaking diverted valve but I think there usually pretty reliable now.
I'm APR'd and the difference is night and day tbh.

Im surprised with that as I've never heard of someone being underwhelmed with a Revo Stage 1. Should of been a case of mighty impressed with the remap........I know that most cars run better the colder it gets due to density of air etc etc but didnt think it would be the difference between how your feeling now to what you should be feeling. Hmmm something leaking possibly as said before.

It should be night and day regardless of temperature. I was driving 200 miles per day when the temp was in the late 20's to early 30's earlier this year and all of the power was still there. Did you not do the trial first?

Im surprised with that as I've never heard of someone being underwhelmed with a Revo Stage 1. Should of been a case of mighty impressed with the remap........I know that most cars run better the colder it gets due to density of air etc etc but didnt think it would be the difference between how your feeling now to what you should be feeling. Hmmm something leaking possibly as said before.

Well yep took it out tonight in the darkness and the temps much cooler. Yep definately noticeably quicker. Hmm see how i feel on the way to work. But i guess it's so smooth still and deceptively quick anyway.. I guess thats the only thing of straight remap and no rolling road you can't actually tell well maybe unless you have some accurate g accelermeter if the car was pulling or what it was pulling pre remap.

It should be night and day regardless of temperature. I was driving 200 miles per day when the temp was in the late 20's to early 30's earlier this year and all of the power was still there. Did you not do the trial first?

Well i was told there wasn't a trial map for my version ecu. as it was a v10 or something.. :O and i guess i was keen to have it anyway, despite the possible hard sell ;) After switching back to the standard map it did feel different, but yeah hmm 450 quid better? Ill try again tomorrow.

Hi mate ,who mapped it, first time i,ve heard a map revert back to standard .you using 97 ron+ petrol? I only use vpower, also check the diverter value....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick m
I was so tempted to do this yesterday at ED38.. but wimped out!

Interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Be mindful that the car has to go through adaptation before you start to see the full benefits of the map.

It's been running a particular way for three plus years, so you can't expect to flick a switch and expect it to come bounding out the traps like a crazed animal!

From experience warn weather doesn't help, and I think you lose at least a bhp per degree increase in ambient air temperature. On a cold autumn morning the with air temps close to zero these cars absolutely come alive, where when the air is hot and dense they feel a tiny bit lazy.

To get the most from your investment consider:

• Having an oil change (You are now putting your car under more strain, give it a fighting chance)
  • Change your air filter (and I don't necessarily mean CAI upgrade, just change the OEM panel if that's what you have as a blocked filter won't help the turbo spool)
  • Give it some more time to adapt to the new settings
  • Disconnect the battery overnight (PLEASE NOTE: This used to work on the Mk1 Leon Cupra R - cleared out all sorts of stored codes and data in ECU meant car was running with fresh readings in ECU - not sure if this works on A3/S3 - does anyone else know?)

Might be worth having it checked for fault codes in a couple of days if anyone near you with VCDS as maps can put a failing part under strain. I had a faulty MAF and my car ruthlessly exposed it after a remap

Did you go for the linear acceleration map or the standard map?

What Boost / Timing / Fuelling settings are you running?

As warren said it needs time to bed in and adapt and of course a service will be helpful, for £57 I would upgrade to the revision D OEM DV (recirc) valve, mine is a 2009 also and it had the old one on, mine isnt mapped but I noticed the difference in changing it, no flatspot at 3K anymore and much quiter, no whistle or what sounded like leaking air

Be mindful that the car has to go through adaptation before you start to see the full benefits of the map.

It's been running a particular way for three plus years, so you can't expect to flick a switch and expect it to come bounding out the traps like a crazed animal!

From experience warn weather doesn't help, and I think you lose at least a bhp per degree increase in ambient air temperature. On a cold autumn morning the with air temps close to zero these cars absolutely come alive, where when the air is hot and dense they feel a tiny bit lazy.

• Having an oil change (You are now putting your car under more strain, give it a fighting chance)
  • Change your air filter (and I don't necessarily mean CAI upgrade, just change the OEM panel if that's what you have as a blocked filter won't help the turbo spool)
  • Disconnect the battery overnight (PLEASE NOTE: This used to work on the Mk1 Leon Cupra R - cleared out all sorts of stored codes and data in ECU meant car was running with fresh readings in ECU - not sure if this works on A3/S3 - does anyone else know?)
Might be worth having it checked for fault codes in a couple of days if anyone near you with VCDS as maps can put a failing part under strain. I had a faulty MAF and my car ruthlessly exposed it after a remap

hi warren,
disconnecting battery will result with car going back to stock according to Revo.
i was thinking more that he should def. check the DV as there might be a split on a old type. and he could check for errors and do a throttle body alignment with vcds (if car pulls back/goes limp for any reason this helps bringing the power back).

Hi mate, VAS in pool mapped it. A nice chap and was keen of course to show me i wasn't paying for FA! So we pulled over and he reverted back to standard map or something. Reset the ignition and drove. Then pulled over and put the Revo map back on.

Yep always use 'super' variants from Tesco or BP or Shell. Never standard unleaded.

Thanks for the advice **** me i have no idea, i remember him reeling off a few parameters but i didn't really take much notice due to the traffic and me driving with due diligence and caution :)

I do have an odbc or whatever cable and some software at home, although i guess i need the revo software and connector to know or contact them. He did say pop back after a few tank fulls and or a week or 2 to check all is good and make any necessary tweaks. So ill ask then.

As warren said it needs time to bed in and adapt and of course a service will be helpful, for £57 I would upgrade to the revision D OEM DV (recirc) valve, mine is a 2009 also and it had the old one on, mine isnt mapped but I noticed the difference in changing it, no flatspot at 3K anymore and much quiter, no whistle or what sounded like leaking air

Thanks Jay, im going to take your advice here and order one today. Pisser Audi stealer don't have one in stock, I found the very helpful thread from 'S' about this :

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/96692-just-had-new-rev-d-oem-dv-fitted.html

Just want to check for me '09' plate S3 this is the correct part

06H 145 710 D

Also how easy is it to fit? I may pull mine off tonight (my dv!) and check it?

Cheers to everyone here with such helpful advice.

hi mate it's simple. you can first check the part # on it first to see if you have G or rev D diverter, so you don't buy the same if you allready have rev D (i've heard that they can fail too but it's really not that common case). just disconect the cable by using flat screwdriver to release the cable connector, then use torx (don't know which size but i know that that one is used for most parts on the car lol) there are 3 screws that you need to remove (be careful so you don't drop any of them) take off dv and ispect for holes in red rubber. mounting goes opposite obviously (screw it tight) :D

yeah that's the right part.
i've had it on mine.

i'm glad i could help.

Just for the record when mine came off it wasn't split and was fine, but I still fitted the new one and still felt a massive improvement!

Here is a photo of the two types of DV (old version has the rubber skirt)

DSC_9483.JPG

If you open up the old style DV you can clearly see whether the orange rubber skirt has split which causes boost losses. My one was fine, but the new style DV just seemed to work better.

DSC_9484.JPG

Close up of new version:
DSC_9477.JPG

Close up of older version:
DSC_9499.JPG

They revise things all the time, and I assume 'G' has superseded the 'D' version which I bought in 2009. The 'c' version was standard on 2007 car.

Last edited:
I had REVO Stage 1 on a KO3 and KO4 20TFSi VAG and the difference was, to coin a phrase, night and day.

The difference was significant from the first hundred yards, so assuming everything is Ok mechanically, then I reckon your settings may need some tweeking.

From memory I ran Fuel=9, Timing= Boost=8, the car went like stink, then soon after the clutch shat itself (on both cars!).

Good luck
Paul

why do i always hear you TFSI people referring to 'adaptaion and bedding in' of a remap.
its remapped, reprogrammed, the ecu has totally new requests for the car to meet, which it will and should achieve right away. or it should if your tuner is good.

I dont want to put a downer on it but I have had revo stage 1 on 2 8Ps and the difference was instantly noticeable and the car felt like a very different machine. For this reason I think you have some underlying issues on your car. Def get it checked out. For me, it was the best and £500 mod i have spent on any car. The only thing that compares is putting a 1.6 engine in my 1985 1.1 fiesta... but then that was 17 years ago

OK im trying to identify my DV valve without removing the ****ing thing! :) Looks like the frikkin part numbers are facing a load of other pipes and bits! Ahh..

Gotcha! So according to those pics above (thanks Warren!) Im pretty sure i have the 'C' type, correct me if im wrong! Going to order the 'D' type tomorrow and fit it thursday.

it seems to me too that it's a letter C...

I've been pretty underwhelmed with my Revo Stage 1 map, the print out showed 320bhp but it doesn't feel any different to standard. MY11 so presumably with Rev D valve. There aren't any issues with the car, almost six months on and I'm still waiting for some spare time when I can pop back to AMD to get it checked out!

OK my local pusher has called me to inform me my Type 'D' DV has arrived. Gonna sneak Off early from work (shhh!) to pick up and home for some fun. Not had my torque set out of years bet the one i need is missing lucky halfords just down the road, for them to fleece me!
After fitting, If im not thrown back in my seat like Michael Knight and his turbo button im gonna be mighty ****** ;)

OK my local pusher has called me to inform me my Type 'D' DV has arrived. Gonna sneak Off early from work (shhh!) to pick up and home for some fun. Not had my torque set out of years bet the one i need is missing lucky halfords just down the road, for them to fleece me!
After fitting, If im not thrown back in my seat like Michael Knight and his turbo button im gonna be mighty ****** ;)

I wouldn't hold your breath, 300bhp is a ton and a half feels quick, but not like 'super pursuit mode'!

Mark S said:
I've been pretty underwhelmed with my Revo Stage 1 map, the print out showed 320bhp but it doesn't feel any different to standard. MY11 so presumably with Rev D valve. There aren't any issues with the car, almost six months on and I'm still waiting for some spare time when I can pop back to AMD to get it checked out!

I'd take it back and ask them to check B/T/F

I think it's a common misconception that when you remap a car you should expect a 'night and day' difference. Some of that is I guess in part due to the fault of some owners who sometimes get 'over-enthusiastic' with their reviews (esp. when they get a deal on the price....!).

I'd challenge the figure of 320bhp, I think with just a map you're looking at 300-310bhp from bum dyno. With S2+ I think 350'ish is about the ballpark from bum dyno and that has significant mods over S1. If you want a boosty feel choose the standard Revo map, if you like something more subtle then choose the linear Revo map.

Personally on the S3 I find the difference between stock and Stage 2+ is approaching night and day. The S1 map is a great halfway house when it's set up properly and the car is healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex
why do i always hear you TFSI people referring to 'adaptaion and bedding in' of a remap.
its remapped, reprogrammed, the ecu has totally new requests for the car to meet, which it will and should achieve right away. or it should if your tuner is good.

Go and ask someone who knows a lot about the Bosch ECU.

Whilst what you say is broadly correct,there is also a degree of adaptation that occurs over around 10 hrs of run time after that and the torque curve will smooth a bit plus you may see a few bhp more.

Adaptation after a remap or reset thus does exist although it will result in relatively small changes.

it seems to me too that it's a letter C...

It will say C or G, my guess would be that it says "G" as yours is also a 2009 car, the key part is the beginning as it says 06F, the new part Rev D or whatever you want to call it will start 06H and end in D

Either way, get the new one on!

Had mine revo stage 1 a month ago and have not stopped smiling, and it's set up to run on both supermarket and premium fuel and isn't set up to savage, the mid range pull is blistering. I used to love the way it went from 80-100 now I love the way it goes from 100 - 130, do you have a test road? As in somewhere you know how fast you can get to as a bench mark so you can measure it now?:yahoo:

I'd take it back and ask them to check B/T/F

I think it's a common misconception that when you remap a car you should expect a 'night and day' difference. Some of that is I guess in part due to the fault of some owners who sometimes get 'over-enthusiastic' with their reviews (esp. when they get a deal on the price....!).

I'd challenge the figure of 320bhp, I think with just a map you're looking at 300-310bhp from bum dyno. With S2+ I think 350'ish is about the ballpark from bum dyno and that has significant mods over S1. If you want a boosty feel choose the standard Revo map, if you like something more subtle then choose the linear Revo map.

Personally on the S3 I find the difference between stock and Stage 2+ is approaching night and day. The S1 map is a great halfway house when it's set up properly and the car is healthy.

When you say B/T/F do you mean boost/timing/fuelling? Bit of a noob sorry :laugh:

I put it down to me expecting a huge difference from stock based on what I had read, rather than a real problem. Maybe I was given the linear map, I'll check, but most likely I won't have noticed a subtle change. I seem to remember it took them ages because they had a problem communicating with the ECU, another question I'll raise.

I myself was slightly dubious of 320bhp, but that's want the print out says and AMD Essex have a pretty good reputation so who am I to criticise! I'm hoping to get it sorted next week (my first holiday since April!), but although it's annoying if it isn't working, I'm planning on Stage 2 in the not too distant future so it will be irrelevant by then anyway.

Mark S.....

Warren's given some excellent advice there.

I started with Stg1 and even that makes a big difference to how the car feels over stock.

Stg2+ or the equivalent from Shark for instance will take you to around 360 bhp and a completely different car.
I think this is the best value mod even if it does run to a few thousand pounds all in as it takes you as far as you will get without "investing" a lot of time and money.

AMDtuning have done all of the work on my car and I would recommend them to anyone,so I'm sure you'll be happy with the car now and for a good while.

Enjoy it!

I bought my S3 (8P) in Feb 2012 & had Milltek cat back non-res exhaust & Neuspeed Cold Air Induction kit all fitted in June 2012.

When I first went out in it I too wasn't "blown away," I think I was expecting a lot more. I told the tuner & his eyes nearly popped out if his head, lol. Anyway, we went out together in the car & he rolled it back to standard when I then noticed the difference.

Also for info, after all the upgrades my S3 squeals like a pig in-between gear changes (hard on throttle), its said to be normal for the S3 re the CAI & extra power. I was worried it was the turbo or a leak but was told otherwise. I did prefer the pssst noise (stock) but Ive got used to the screech as its a small price to pay for the car being a monster!

Check a threat I created not long ago, I was surprised at the power reference another high performance vehicle, some people didn't like it, they took it the wrong way & thought I was some boy racer (Im 33!).

Anyway, I think your car will be fine mate, just wanted to reassure you that all is probably ok. That is in fact if its like a rocket because mine is ;)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
..... my S3 squeals like a pig in-between gear changes (hard on throttle), its said to be normal for the S3 re the CAI & extra power. I was worried it was the turbo or a leak but was told otherwise. I did prefer the pssst noise (stock) but Ive got used to the screech as its a small price to pay for the car being a monster!

Are you saying you get a squeal in between changes (with your foot off the throttle, ie: throttle closed) ?

If so that is compressor surge and is not good at all for the turbo! Potentially fatal actually!

This is a good article that explains compressor surge:
http://www.gofastbits.com/images/stories/downloads/gfb_dp_compressorsurge.pdf

Last edited:
Are you saying you get a squeal in between changes (with your foot off the throttle, ie: throttle closed) ?

If so that is compressor surge and is not good at all for the turbo! Potentially fatal actually!

This is a good article that explains compressor surge:
http://www.gofastbits.com/images/stories/downloads/gfb_dp_compressorsurge.pdf

I appreciate your response re the noise but it doesn't sound like that video, I have been told by 2 different people the noise I get is the air being recirculated. Said to be characteristic of S3's

Well you should get a pssst noise if the air is being recirculated properly by the diverter valve, if you get a screech or squeal then that is compressor surge and the airflow isn't quite right!

I got the pssst noise prior to the Neuspeed CAI, the noise is said to be the CAI & not surge etc.

This isn't my car but its the same squeak in-between gear changes on another S3:

Audi S3 Revo stage 2+ - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, thats compressor surge alright. Sometimes described as horse sneeze, or chipmunks.

Compressor Surge Demo - YouTube

These things are always a trade-off, in your case you're trading off more boost/power for the longevity of your turbo shaft bearings!

PS: Have you got the latest Rev D Diverter Valve fitted?