Just Got an Audi A3 170 S line CR Engine :) - Few quick Questions

sam100000

Reaction score
Hi, I had another account on here but forgot my login etc, didnt like my username anyway haha

Anyway, I Just got the above car and pictures will follow, shes well speced and comes with FASH.

I have a couple of vital questions that should help answer some of my worries and in the long run prolong the life of the car and the enjoyment to my ownership.

1. its a 2009 car, therefore I believe it will need the HEX replaced from 77mm to the new 100mm one. I have read that the part costs no more than £9, however others have said I will also need to buy an adjusted balance which might cost around £200 and this will just be the part. Can anyone confirm if just replacing the HEX alone will be ok?

2. DPF might be a problem but it should get driven on the weekends for more than 20 miles at the same speed. Whats the best way of keeping the DPF sweet? I was told 6th gear at 60mph is best? Any other recommendations would be welcome.

3. Its been run on long life services, I believe every 18k. I want to change this to 10k and possibly get my friend to change the oil every 5k. What is the best oil to run these engines on. Previously had a mk5 gti in the family and that was run on millers nanodrive oil. I want to use the best oil, so again any recommendations would be apprciated.

Thank you and apologises if they sound a bit long winded.

Last edited:
Hey Sam

Not sure about the answer to #1 but there was a thread in the last couple of days about this. #2, the best way to keep the dpf in good order is to get on a motorway/dual carriageway once a week or so and once the engine is up to temp get the revs over 2000 rpm and just drive for for a while, the car should regen when needed, also you might want to be in 4th.to be able to keep revs up without having to keep slowing down.You can also use additives like Reddex for diesel engines or some people use a low ash 2 stroke oil, there are also lots of threads on this subject. And #3 5/6k miles is a good time to regularly change the oil/filter and one of the recommended oils used by alot of members on here is quantum long life 5W - 30 fully synthetic :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-L...841695?hash=item2816c724df:g:Cx0AAOSwJkJWl8iL

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sam100000
Cheers matt, appreciate the informative advice.

Does anyone on here use 5w40 millers nanodrive racing engine oil? Was told I can use this, even if its a different specification. Is non LL oil ok?

I have a 2010 170 TDI quattro and in relataion to #2 I have never had any regen issues at all. I do 23 miles each way to work and don't really get above 60 but do cruise at 60 on a few roads along the way. Only noticed it doing a regen on 2 accessions...or at least I think it was because the fans on the front were running for no reason, exhaust was making a different noise and I could smell it when I stopped at lights. No signs of any smoke though which the insignia was terrible for on a regen.